Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: twin stick. dual esc setup question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2011, 02:21 PM   #1
TSK
Shelf queen

Default twin stick. dual esc setup question

Hey. I am thinking of going dual esc to gain propo dig, but i thik I want to pass on a pistol and go for a stick radio.

I would like to know if it is possible to set it up like this:

** Left stick **
- up/down = front esc forward/reverse
- left/right = steering

** Right Stick **
- up/down = rear esc forward/reverse
- left/right + cutting brake if it ever comes out.

I figure this way, i don't need to worry about mixing and such and I can instantly adjust how much propo I want.

Is this possible?
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2011, 02:55 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Anything is possible! What radio were you thinking of using?

I'm using a DX7. I modified it so the left stick (throttle) centers.
I have it mixed so that the left stick forward runs both F&R motors forward, and back is reverse.
when you move the left stick to the left it gives more front dig and when moved to the right more rear dig.
So while moving forward you want to speed up the front you just push the stick to the left. sounds complicated but it work really well!
I use the right stick for steering.
Force5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:59 PM   #3
Got Worms?

I tried full independent, and its a HUGE pita. I ran probably 10 hours or so trying to get used to it. A mix is almost required so you can concentrate what your crawler is doing instead of your fingers. However independent control has its advantages, thats why i worked into my radio before the gt3b.

So i had my trigger which was mixed, then pushed a button on the handle and went full indpendent. A had a joystick in the handle which controlled the rear and a the trigger controlled front. I love this setup, soon i'll be implmenting something similiar into the gt3b (will require heavy modification)

Heres a pic of my old radio (still have it)

losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 04:01 PM   #4
Got Worms?

But yes what you want todo is possible...a simple flysky CT6B should be able todo that. If you want something with a screen, the Flysky 9X, then get a smartieparts.com programmer.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:21 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Very easy to do I ran a dx 6 that way. I am sure that there are a few posts and how to on the subject. The biggest issue is the self centering on the left side throttle, specrtrum will mod those for you or you can build the mod yourself again pretty easy if you are advetureus. There are threads on doing that also. It works great if you are just having a good time with your crawler. if you are comping it gets a lot more tricky because it is so easy to go into reverse. good luck and have fun.
BUGGYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 04:24 PM   #6
TSK
Shelf queen

Thanks for the input guys. The only reason why I want to go this route is for the instant propo adjustment. I think the main issue is that I haven't used sticks since forever.

Force5's setup seems like a reasonable alternative though, and I already can see the benefit of having the steering controlled independently. Trying to apply/maintain precise throttle and rapid steering input with one thumb seems a bit difficult. I assume in your setup that full left on the throttle stick would be front dig and full right on the throttle would be rear dig?

Losikid, on your hacked gt3b's, the propo value would be preset, and i would have to adjust it via the menu interface or a trim knob correct?
Old 09-14-2011, 05:43 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post

I assume in your setup that full left on the throttle stick would be front dig and full right on the throttle would be rear dig?
Exactly Right! This setup allows for instant adjustments without pushing any buttons and you never get lost as to where your bias is.
Force5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:39 PM   #8
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post

Losikid, on your hacked gt3b's, the propo value would be preset, and i would have to adjust it via the menu interface or a trim knob correct?
There is a switches/buttons on the gt3b that will adjust the propo. You can either have it so each click will up it a certain % or have it set to repeat so if you click and hold the button/switch it act like a linear control and increment 1% (setable) at a time, few times a second.

Then set another switch to give you instant dig (so you'll have a propo switch and a dig switch)

Sometime in the coming months when i will have a right up how to put a rtc lever in their to control it or a normal pot....i'm going to try my best to get same results i had with my ct6b/tq based radio (pics above) as i really like this setup.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:10 PM   #9
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
There is a switches/buttons on the gt3b that will adjust the propo. You can either have it so each click will up it a certain % or have it set to repeat so if you click and hold the button/switch it act like a linear control and increment 1% (setable) at a time, few times a second.

Then set another switch to give you instant dig (so you'll have a propo switch and a dig switch)

Sometime in the coming months when i will have a right up how to put a rtc lever in their to control it or a normal pot....i'm going to try my best to get same results i had with my ct6b/tq based radio (pics above) as i really like this setup.
A linear switch/pot adjuster for the propo would be sweet. And i never thought of a seperate switch for instant dig, but how is it possible to go from full dig to propo on the fly with a setup like that? That's what i se as the benefit of the independent motor control.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:33 AM   #10

Default Re: twin stick. dual esc setup question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force5 View Post
Anything is possible! What radio were you thinking of using?

I'm using a DX7. I modified it so the left stick (throttle) centers.
I have it mixed so that the left stick forward runs both F&R motors forward, and back is reverse.
when you move the left stick to the left it gives more front dig and when moved to the right more rear dig.
So while moving forward you want to speed up the front you just push the stick to the left. sounds complicated but it work really well!
I use the right stick for steering.
i hate to bring back an old thread.. but would you mind sharing how to do this (the mixing part), or where to go to get the details on how to set this up?

Last edited by yellow1; 06-09-2012 at 02:35 AM. Reason: specified which part i really needed information on :)
yellow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:39 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

What i think this is what you want:

XR10 Dual ESC Radio Mix and Setup - YouTube

I think this remote is a clone of the flysky CT6B that losikid mentioned.

I just bought this remote and I will soon try to set it up as it is on the video. (and probably open a topic to ask for help.... )
I did the change to get the left stick to center myself with a piece of delrin a a dremel.

It has no screen so you will always need a computer to set it up, but, at 22$ os what ever ir is, plus the programming cable it is very cheap if you want to try it out.
xkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 03:40 AM   #12

Thanks xkill. But no. The vid you linked shows the front and rear esc on two channels, and various mixes to obtain synchronized movement and independent movement (via the throttle and elevator)

What I want to be able to do is something similar to what force5 has. Which is to say:
Front and rear escs on separate channels with various mixes to obtain proportional application of power to either front or rear esc depending on position of the rudder channel.

I'm sure that after I find the post that details this, out how to do this. I'd smack my head at how obvious it is. But I'm not that good with programming a 2 stick radio yet...
yellow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:53 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

i am doing exactly that on a cheapo twin stick radio that i modded for left stick centering with dual mmp's on my xr10, just takes a bit of getting your head around to begin with but soon becomes second nature
good luck with 4ws though, i predict crashes
but the donuts you can do are immense and the propo to dig part is really useful and probably better than something like a 4pl/k
ROCKST*R is offline   Reply With Quote