Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: switched rx, now stuff isn't' working

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2011, 02:55 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR 510RR View Post
What? You are making this more complicated than it has to be...You are so confused that you are confusing me

Sorry, it's been one of those weeks.

But, I agree with SMR......
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2011, 03:08 PM   #22
RCC Addict

You know, isn't that why it's nice to support your local hobby shop rather than the on-line stores. So you can get help from someone who may have a clue.

Seriously, you need to start from the beginning and not attempt to solve everything at once. Start with the radio system, check to see if it is in the default setting, aha, you don't know then read the manual.

Make sure that all the connections are as described in the manual.

Next you bind the TX to the RX, again read the manual.

Then you calibrate the ESC, again read the manual.

Did I say read the manual. That's how we used to learn before everything was RTR.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:13 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreCee View Post
You know, isn't that why it's nice to support your local hobby shop rather than the on-line stores. So you can get help from someone who may have a clue.
You must have never been to my LHS...Unless it has wings or says TRAXXAS on it they dont have a clue!
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:45 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreCee View Post
Did I say read the manual. That's how we used to learn before everything was RTR.
Ahhhh...."RTFM"......Read The Frikkin Manual....not in a guys vocabulary......

Like AreCee stated, one step at a time. I/we believe you are either missing something or trying to do too much at once.....
Not busting you, just saying.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:49 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
You must have never been to my LHS...Unless it has wings or says TRAXXAS on it they dont have a clue!
Our LHS (Zeppelin Hobbies in Wayne, NJ) is actually pretty good. While they do a lot of Traxxas stuff, they are reasonably smart & have employees that do RC.
If they don't know something, they will either research it or ask a "regular" to get the correct answer.
I have been dealing with Lou & Sue (the owners) for 20+ years.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:09 PM   #26
RCC Addict

Quote:
My nearest one that is any good is 45 miles away. The local guy can really help you with your train layout.

BTW that includes Chicago too. There's a couple Hobbytowns but their service is hit or miss. A good shop is in Winthrop Harbor about 50 miles out.

Last edited by AreCee; 09-24-2011 at 04:11 PM.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:37 PM   #27
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
What? You are making this more complicated than it has to be...You are so confused that you are confusing me

What is the deal with the black and white going to the bind?

Here is what you need to do...
  1. Plug the entire FXR servo plug (black (-) red (+) white (signal)) into the RX, make sure it is in the correct orientation there is a label on the RX that shows what each row should be.
  2. Leave the BEC unconnected (to the RX) to simplify the setup
  3. Calibrate the ESC
  4. If that all works, remove the red wire from the FXR servo plug and plug the BEC into the bind port to power the RX
You have the FXR's signal wire plugged into the bind port, of course it isnt getting channel 2's signal...

Alternatively if you want to run the BEC directly to the servo pull the signal wire out of the servo's connector (white or yellow typically...Opposite of the darkest wire) plug that into the RX in the correct slot for channel 1. Now run the remainder of the servos plug to the bec for power only. When using this method you must put the red wire from the fxr back in as the FXR will be powering the rx and the BEC will only power the servo.

Ok, sorry if I'm confusing..I'm trying to get all the info out on the table.

Here is how the system is laid out (this was bought used, and this is how the po had it set up).

The black/white/red wires for the fxr are actually only black/white. The po had pulled the red wire and "capped" it off. It's just loose outside the plug that have the black/white in it. Just like you said it should be after I calibrate the esc...except right now I have no way of powering the rx without the BEC wire already being plugged in.

The BEC is wired into a connection off the between teh battery and esc. It has no other connection then that. The wire off it (the brown/red/orange) just have a plug at the end...so I'm not sure where that one goes. I assume this is accurate for how it should be, but honestly I don't really know.

The servo is just has it's 3 color wire coming back to the rx box.

I hope that makes sense.

I think my problem with it is I've been putting the BEC into the trottle slot on the rx....and that obviously doesn''t control the throttle. The black/white wire, directly off the esc should go there....however, I just tried that, got forward throttle, but no reverse. I did get the esc to finally calibrate (or at least register that is does) yet I have no reverse...I now have forward throttle, but no reverse.

As for the black/white wire in the "bnd" section...that was on the HPI fm rx. I was thinking the BEC wire was what controlled the throttle...but I was obviously wrong. So on this rx (the one I want to replace) I was using the servo wire in position 1 he bec wire in position 2 and the blk/whte wire from the esc in the bnd...since that was the only other slot...but I know that's wrong..

I wish I had owners manuals...I have the fxr one but that's it. Everything else, I'm just learning. Sorry I've been confusing...it's really new to me, and I'm just trying to learn. I've searched stuff but most threads are reviews, but not much in terms of intial setup...hence asking for a rcing for dummies book or something.

I plan on going to my lhs one of these days....and while they aren't too bad, they aren't the greatest help either. I've been in there a few times, and they can hardly be bothered to stop their personal conversations to help customers. Maybe if I had my truck with me they'd be more willing to help.

I do appreciate the help....but I am obviously in over my head. I don't know what freaking wires go where.

Anyway, thanks for the help guys....I will keep checking this post and try and figure it out as I have time....but I do plan on going to the lhs during the week when I have time.

Last edited by pike2350; 09-24-2011 at 06:48 PM.
pike2350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:22 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Dude, I'm just giving you a hard time dont sweat it...We all started somewhere, it gets complex quickly and it is often very hard to diagnose these things over the internet using text only. In the future a picture would have helped us realize that you had the connectors reversed, as always the more information the better.

Ok looks like we have the radio talking to the ESC now, that was step one. Now the no reverse thing is the next thing we need to sort out. So did you get through the full calibration cycle?

You said you got the esc out of a SC truck, if you bought it used there is a good chance that it was set to forward/brake rather than forward/reverse. You will need to use the pit tune unless you have the hotwire and you need to adjust setting #5 to be on led 2, that will give you forward with instant reverse. Check out the manual, it tells you exactly what to do and has all the settings in there so you can adjust everything how you want it.

Try that and see if that fixes the problem.

Also if you are using lipo make sure that your lipo cutoff has been set for the proper number of cells.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote