Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Radio System Help - RC4WD 4-Channel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011, 10:15 AM   #1

Default Radio System Help - RC4WD 4-Channel

Hi all,

Still pretty much a noob to the RC scene, got the hang of the basic components of a simple rig set up and now wanting to upgrade my control system to a 4-channel to enable me to use winchs, lights etc etc..

have got hold of an RC4WD 4-channel XR4 radio system... basically I don't have a clue how to use it and what all the codes mean such as 'EXP, ABS, and EPA’ etc.

Any help, links to tutorials will be appreciated.

I do have the instructions altho it’s just a foreign language to me..

Got forward reverse and steering working with winch, only problem is when I apply forward control it jerks as if you are repeatively pressing the throttle.

Thanks in advance.
Steven.
greenlad09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2011, 11:09 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

EXP is likely "Expo" which is short for "Exponential" and relates to how the throttle feels relative to what your trigger finger does.
ABS is usually not used in crawlers, it is usually a basic Antilock Braking System.
EPA is "End Point Adjustment" which is used a lot for steering, set it so the EPA setting keeps you from overdirving the steering servo & burning it out (the servo should stop just before the steering linkage/knuckles stop moving).

As to the way the rig drives, did you calibrate the ESC to the radio?? Set throttle trim to "0", throttle EPA's to "100%" and then do what the ESC manual tells you to do.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:20 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
EXP is likely "Expo" which is short for "Exponential" and relates to how the throttle feels relative to what your trigger finger does.
ABS is usually not used in crawlers, it is usually a basic Antilock Braking System.
EPA is "End Point Adjustment" which is used a lot for steering, set it so the EPA setting keeps you from overdirving the steering servo & burning it out (the servo should stop just before the steering linkage/knuckles stop moving).

As to the way the rig drives, did you calibrate the ESC to the radio?? Set throttle trim to "0", throttle EPA's to "100%" and then do what the ESC manual tells you to do.
Cheers mate it was the EXP which I had to adjust.

Also what does "Rev" mean? And also does the settings for each 'Model' individually save.

Cheers
Steven.
greenlad09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:16 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlad09 View Post
Cheers mate it was the EXP which I had to adjust.

Also what does "Rev" mean? And also does the settings for each 'Model' individually save.

Cheers
Steven.
No problem, glad to help. Thanks for the follow-up for the next guy.

"REV" will "reverse" a channel. Example, you have an odd steering linkage and when you steer the TX one way, the rig steers the other way. Hit the "rev" and the rig steering will turn the correct way.

"Model", usually saves any setting (default setting or one you adjusted) for a "model" or vehicle. My Futaba 3PM-x has 10 models (I believe) so I can set up 10 different vehicles on one TX. Saves a lot of fiddling if you have more than one vehicle, also saves on NOT having to buy 10 radios.
Now I only have to have (ideally) 10 RX's.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote