Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: outrunner?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2011, 10:25 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default outrunner?

Not really sure how they work or if they are any good. I was talkin to this guy on this other forum and he swears by outrunners. Idk why and like I said I have no clue about them. Are they a good style of motor? Is there any benifit in them?
muddinscx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2011, 11:14 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

There every bit as good as InRunners.

In general OutRunners are of a lower KV (RPM per volt) so they spin slower but usually create more torque.

InRunners are usually much higher KV and have less torque.

For crawlers OutRunners would be ideal.

They work similar to an InRunner except the outer case of the motor spins while the center and backplate stay stationary.
1320Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:16 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Yea that's what he was saying in a more round about way lol. I just haven't seen many people run em..
Old 10-13-2011, 11:33 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I think the main reason you don't see too many outrunners being used in crawlers is that most outrunners are brushless and most crawlers use brushed motors. Holmes Hobbies does have a few though:

Holmes Hobbies LLC / Holmes Bikes :: Motors :: Brushless Outrunners
forbid89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:03 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbid89 View Post
I think the main reason you don't see too many outrunners being used in crawlers is that most outrunners are brushless and most crawlers use brushed motors. Holmes Hobbies does have a few though:

Holmes Hobbies LLC / Holmes Bikes :: Motors :: Brushless Outrunners
Yea I've seen holmes outrunners. it was just something this guy brought up and it got me thinking. What esc would you run with one of em?
Old 10-14-2011, 12:20 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Off the top of my head I would think the Mamba Max Pro would be a good choice. On the cheaper side of things, I run a Hobbywing EZ 80A esc in my slash that supports sensored brushless motor:

HobbyWing eZRun-80A-SD ESC for 1/8th Scale RC Cars

Maybe someone with more experience can chime in.
forbid89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:44 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Outrunners are generally sensorless so any sensorless brushless ESC will run it.
You choices are the EZrun/Turnigy/Yeah racing brushless ESCs, Castle Creations Sidewinder or Mamba Max Pro and there are a few others out there as well.

The biggest downside to a sensorless brushless is you may get a stutter/cog at very low throttle position due to the esc not knowing the exact 'phase' to fire at the eact time. Once you get it spun up over a certain point they are fine.
WIDELOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:11 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Outrunners are great for rc planes, the low end torque is great for 3d flight to be able to hover on demand. They are also great for temp control, less restrictive on holding heat because the casing.

I wouldn't run in a crawler there is no protection for the motor. It's so open that anything could get into it and really destroy it.. It's basically like a skeletonized motor.
crowninshield3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:56 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Ive got a few out runners and feel they are the shiznit. The old revolvers from holmes were the bomb I got one on a 2.2 run by a quark 33 that has been my longest lasting set up. It started out in a tlt 2.2 comper then 2.2 scaler then to an Axial Ax-10 when they first came out then to a X-Trail then to a Scx-10 that it is in now, still chugging away like new. Also Ive run 3s with this motor ESC since My first lipos 4yrs ago. Overall no other setup has been as durable. I just put an 1600KV outrunner in a Losi mini rock crawler and am very happy with it, the thing looks about the size of a dice. Outrunners have much less cogging than in runners, a sensored out runner I would imagine would have all the benefits of brushed motor with insane torque. So overall I am an Outrunner believer.
rocresq is offline   Reply With Quote