Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Mamba Max won't connect to PC.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2011, 11:52 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Mamba Max won't connect to PC.

Has anyone been able to connect a mamba max to a PC with the supplied usb cable with the latest software? I've tried everything I can think of on both a pc running XP and 7, no luck. I have two mambas, neither will connect. I have the software installed, my pc sees the mamba, it just does't seem to have a driver to allow software to detect the mamba.

I've been able to connect to my pc in the past with older software (that I don't have anymore) but not the new version out now.

It seems that the newest version of the castle link software doesn't have a driver to allow the mamba max to connect to a PC via the usb connection.

I've tried the search function on here, but haven't found anything usefull, can anyone help?

Thanks.
Stburr91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2011, 11:55 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

What error message do you get?
Do you have the adaptor plugged in correctly? Try flipping it over and try again. It's hard to see the polarity marks on the adaptor.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:24 PM   #3
Official Cook of the ECC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stburr91 View Post
Has anyone been able to connect a mamba max to a PC with the supplied usb cable with the latest software? I've tried everything I can think of on both a pc running XP and 7, no luck. I have two mambas, neither will connect. I have the software installed, my pc sees the mamba, it just does't seem to have a driver to allow software to detect the mamba.

I've been able to connect to my pc in the past with older software (that I don't have anymore) but not the new version out now.

It seems that the newest version of the castle link software doesn't have a driver to allow the mamba max to connect to a PC via the usb connection.

I've tried the search function on here, but haven't found anything usefull, can anyone help?

Thanks.
I haven't been able to get any of my Mamba Max's to connect directly with the USB cable in quite a while.

I have had to use the Castle Link to get them to connect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
What error message do you get?
Do you have the adaptor plugged in correctly? Try flipping it over and try again. It's hard to see the polarity marks on the adaptor.
He's not using the adapter, he is trying to connect directly through the USB port on the Mamba Max.
Scattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:33 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

i had a mamba that wouldnt connect. i had to send it back to castle and they fixed it and sent me a castle link incase it happen again. acouple weeks worth of waiting but worth it...
rockrigcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:50 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Here's an update guys. I hope this helps people having the same problem.

I found this on another forum, it comes from a Castle Creations tech.

Quote:
It sounds like you're having issues with the Mamba Max USB driver on 64-bit computers. Unfortunately we do not have a driver for the Mamba Max that is compatible with 64 bit operating systems; so the side USB port is basically useless. The only solution is to use the Castle Link adapter that hooks to the receiver wire on the ESC.
So, seems that you can't connect the Mamba Max using the side usb port on Mamba Max ESC if you are using a 64 bit computer.

I was finally able to get my mamba to connect to my old XP computer using these directions. This comes from Castle Creations.
Castle Creations | Driver Installation

Mamba Max driver install

First plug in the USB cable into your USB port, then plug the other end into the Mamba Max ESC...click start, click control panel, double click on system (if you're in category view, switch to classic view in the left column), click on the hardware tab, click device manager. On the list that comes up (it'll be under "other devices" or "Universal Serial Bus controllers") find phoenix link, phx link, or Mamba Max and double click on it. Choose re-install driver or update driver (you may have to click on the driver tab to do this). Let windows search for the software automatically. You'll see a magnifying glass going around, and then files transfer over. You should be good to go after that.

Stburr91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 01:06 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scattman View Post
He's not using the adapter, he is trying to connect directly through the USB port on the Mamba Max.
The older MM's used the USB port, I believe the newer ones use the adaptor on the USB cable.
Thus my comment.
Maybe it's only the MM Pro that won't use just the USB port.
I have the older version MM's.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:28 PM   #7

Default Re: Mamba Max won't connect to PC.

i am having the same problem with my MM.............we tried to use the usb to field card for the reciever plug...........didn't recognize it..........I guess you have to use the adapter only?????????? Any answers would help out a ton.............thanks
weese78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:35 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by weese78 View Post
i am having the same problem with my MM.............we tried to use the usb to field card for the reciever plug...........didn't recognize it..........I guess you have to use the adapter only?????????? Any answers would help out a ton.............thanks
1-Make sure the polarity of the "adaptor board" is correct to the ESC RX plug (there is labeling on the adaptor board, but it's small & easy to miss)
2-You "may" need to connect a battery to the ESC
Old 08-06-2012, 09:34 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

MM can't be plugged in via any link device unless the firmware is at least 1.23. If its older than that, you have to find an older 32bit computer and hook it up via the usb port on the side of the esc. Once you've done that, update the firmware to at least 1.23 or higher and then you can use any link device with it.
Bmr4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:49 AM   #10

Thanks for all the good info everyone. I was having the same problem with my mm. It was old 1.09 firmware. I installed castle link on a 32bit windows system and hooked up via usb cable. updated firmware to v1.39 and now i can connect it to my castle link via the module on my other 64bit windows puter. thanks for all the help guys!
dosstec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:00 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosstec View Post
Thanks for all the good info everyone. I was having the same problem with my MM. It was old 1.09 firmware. I installed castle link on a 32bit windows system and hooked up via usb cable. updated firmware to v1.39 and now I can connect it to my castle link via the module on my other 64bit windows puter. thanks for all the help guys!
You will likely find that V1.28 is about the best for crawling, I would suggest back dating your firmware.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:26 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
... V1.28 is about the best for crawling, ...
I sort of question this statement.
- Experience (from others) says 1.28 is good. I've never tried it.
- My own experience says there are later revisions (for example 1.3 that are downright bad for crawling.
- I've found absolutely no problem with revisions 1.39 and later. (Nor with 1.32.)

What, in more absolute terms, would make 1.28 a better choice than 1.45 or 1.46?
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:32 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmr4life View Post
MM can't be plugged in via any link device unless the firmware is at least 1.23. If its older than that, you have to find an older 32bit computer and hook it up via the usb port on the side of the esc. Once you've done that, update the firmware to at least 1.23 or higher and then you can use any link device with it.
Holy crap, my own post from over 2 years ago just saved my bricked MM. Crazy. Thanks me and my memory sucks.

Last edited by Bmr4life; 03-26-2015 at 08:34 PM.
Bmr4life is offline   Reply With Quote