Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Motor help please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2011, 07:01 PM   #1

Default Motor help please

Building an xr10 and am trying to figure out which Holmes motor to go with...I have narrowed it down to a 45t but am not sure if I want a Tourquemaster pro 5 slot or 3 slot, or a Crawlmaster 45t 5 slot or 3 slot???

I am looking to get the most drag break and the most torque...any thoughts/help???

Thanks friends....new to crawling but looking to compete!
xr10ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2011, 07:56 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I'm running 35t motors on a dual ESC MOA. A decent handwound will usually beat a cheaper machine wound motor of the same wind number.

I don't know enough of the Holmes motors to make a recommendation.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:04 AM   #3

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that...I am only gonna get hand wound motors!
Old 11-03-2011, 09:02 AM   #4
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Easy question, standard or team torquemaster on 5mm web armature is your best choice.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:02 AM   #5

After much research and further questioning Mr Holmes and Harley (your help was much appreciated btw) I have decided to go with a pair of Crawlmaster Pro 16t...can't )wait
Old 11-04-2011, 08:08 AM   #6
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

So the most drag and torque wasn't the top priority, smooth control and crawlability was!
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:22 PM   #7

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
So the most drag and torque wasn't the top priority, smooth control and crawlability was!
That is precisely what I found out....as I said...new to crawling so I wasn't really sure how to ask what I was really wanting becuase I didn't really know what you want to compete with. Thanks for setting me straight on that!

Oh btw what's the difference between the crawlmaster pro 16t and the 2012 team edition crawlmaster pro?

Thanks again for your help!
Old 11-05-2011, 11:14 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr10ster View Post
That is precisely what I found out....as I said...new to crawling so I wasn't really sure how to ask what I was really wanting becuase I didn't really know what you want to compete with. Thanks for setting me straight on that!

Oh btw what's the difference between the crawlmaster pro 16t and the 2012 team edition crawlmaster pro?

Thanks again for your help!
Harley is a great resource and a great guy. Very knowlegable and helpful. Have you seen some of his tips and guides on here? He's the man! Looks to me that the only difference is the "Checkpoint" brushes instead of the regular "stand up" brushes. I have heard that the checkpoint utilizes a different endbell. I'm not sure what makes these brushes different. I wonder if they are round vs the normal shape? They do add an additional ten bucks to the cost of the motor, so there must be something special about them . Anyone have experience with these? I'm thinking I'll just stick to the standard stand up type brushes and save the extra money.

Last edited by DiggyStyle; 11-05-2011 at 11:17 AM.
DiggyStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:00 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggyStyle View Post
Harley is a great resource and a great guy. Very knowlegable and helpful. Have you seen some of his tips and guides on here? He's the man! Looks to me that the only difference is the "Checkpoint" brushes instead of the regular "stand up" brushes. I have heard that the checkpoint utilizes a different endbell. I'm not sure what makes these brushes different. I wonder if they are round vs the normal shape? They do add an additional ten bucks to the cost of the motor, so there must be something special about them . Anyone have experience with these? I'm thinking I'll just stick to the standard stand up type brushes and save the extra money.
Yes, Checkpoint motors run a different brush (round cross section with a "key"), a bit harder to find locally. More common stand-up or laydown brushes are easier to get (rectangular cross section).
I can't comment on whether or not the different (Checkpoint) brushes are any better. I do know the Checkpoint magnets tend to be pretty good.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:10 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Checkpoint magnets are the same as regular crawlmasters or torque masters...its actually the same can, just a different color...

In racing the Checkpoint brushes were pretty amazing, in crawling its not as big of a difference. I find they make really awesome scaler motors though.

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote