Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Weatherpack connectors?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2011, 06:42 AM   #1

Default Weatherpack connectors?

Has anyone ever used weatherpack connectors instead of deans plugs in between the esc and the motor? I was just wondering if they would work. I have an axial ax10 with a 55 turn Novak motor and stock esc.
metaldoctor21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2011, 06:54 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

I don't see any reason why they wouldn't work, other than space needed to fit them in. Do you have enough room? How much bigger are they than a Deans or Traxxas connector?
YYCADM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:23 AM   #3

They are about 3" long x 1" wide x 1/2" thick. I installed it and found a place to put it. The reason I am asking is because now it seems like I have very inconsistant power and very little power in reverse. The only thing I change was the plug.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:53 AM   #4
Proverbial threadkiller

I used weatherpack connectors for hooking up my snowmobile trailer, and found they just weren't very good at handling the amp draw of that many lights. I personally would rank them about the same as the white plastic "Tamiya" connectors.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:42 AM   #5

I am not very familiar with the amp draw of certain electronics. How many amps does a typical crawler draw? Is it possible that the connector cannot handle the amp draw and causing my inconsistancy in power?
Old 11-11-2011, 10:09 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

it all depends on the motor and the load its under but during normal driving with no binds its easily under 10-15A depending on number of motors. but under heavy load they can draw a whole lot more. those connectors are meant for very low current areas. i would use crimp on bullet connectors before those (and have used them and they have worked for up to 13t motors)
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:32 AM   #7
Proverbial threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by benoj View Post
those connectors are meant for very low current areas.
Agreed.
When I put that 383 in my S-10, I had to change a lot of pinouts. Under the hood those worked very well, but when I tried to use them for a trailer hookup I was drawing a LOT more than your average MAF, MAP, TPS, or whatever other sensor you'd find under the hood.

If you have the disassembly tools, you could take them apart and look for some nasty carbon tracks with some pitting, that'd be a good indicator you've overpowered your connection.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:38 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trubble View Post
Agreed.
If you have the disassembly tools, you could take them apart and look for some nasty carbon tracks with some pitting, that'd be a good indicator you've overpowered your connection.
Easier is to run the rig loaded (binds are good for this) and then grab the connectors, they should be "room temperature". If they are warm or (worse) hot, they are an issue.
This is what kills Tamiya & cheap bullet connectors. Over time, they get hot and lose the temper in the barrel end. This causes them to relax a bit which leads to a worse connection and more heat. You will see the connector cover change color due to heat, but by then you have lost a lot of performance because of the poor connection.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:55 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

There are many size but often in 16-18 awg which is not that much, esc require much bigger wire size, have read many use 10 awg. Keep in mind that 18awg is use to drive servos, not motors

There is 10-12awg size pins but look at the pins and you will find that the contact surface is far behind dean connetor.

That said, give it a try and keep us inform, maybe a great idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trubble View Post
I used weatherpack connectors for hooking up my snowmobile trailer, and found they just weren't very good at handling the amp draw of that many lights. I personally would rank them about the same as the white plastic "Tamiya" connectors.
I second that, the desigh is similar

Last edited by joss097; 11-11-2011 at 01:03 PM.
joss097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 02:39 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

How much current you can drive through a given wire size is not only how much, but how long.
This is a major part of the equation.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:43 PM   #11

I switched back to the original deans connector and the inconsistancy in power was still there. After a little more investigating I found the problem was with the trigger on the transmitter. I have been wanting to upgrade my electronics, so I guess now I have a reason. The question still remains if a weatherpack connector will work. If I use weatherpack connectors when I get my new electronics I will keep everyone posted on the results. Thanks to everyone for all the info and help.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:45 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

EC5 connectors are on all of my builds.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote