Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: 4pks mod..anybody know about this ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2011, 05:53 AM   #1
Gold Star Baby!

Default 4pks mod..anybody know about this ?

one of our club members has 2 momentary buttons modded on his 4pk which allows him to just push a button to engage frt or rear dig and hold for engagement and release for disengagement.I need a schematic or info on which wires to connect to..so any help would be great..one of our other club members has problems with the switch placement on the 4pks and this mod would help him greatly. Thanks in advance for any help provided
CRAWLER-DAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2011, 07:16 PM   #2
Gold Star Baby!

BUMP...TTT Anyone ?
Old 11-21-2011, 07:23 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Have you asked Harley? he's the Futaba expert

Rob
Krawler Konceptz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:25 PM   #4
Gold Star Baby!

yeah...he has seen it but knows nothing about the wiring..next step would be to open the members radio but he has one of your wraps on it,not wanting to buy another!!!
Old 11-21-2011, 07:54 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I used a JR Z-1 for a while on a shafty crawler, it had a momentary switch for dig. Loved it, worked awesome. Took me forever to unlearn that. Would love to have a radio with 2 momentary switches for dig.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:32 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Its a Colorado secret!

They are normally closed momentary switches, wired to ps1 and ps2. You have to pull the steering wheel assembly apart to splice into the wires for ps1, iirc its the pair of white wires farthest from the red wire in the harness. Ps2 is way easier to convert, just desolder the wires from the stock button.
Almighty Malach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:12 AM   #7
RCC Addict

You do know you can use the button on the pistol grip for that same feature w/o having to mod anything right? You have to hold the button in the entire time you want the dig engaged. As soon as you let go it releases. Thats what you trying to do right?
Illeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:29 AM   #8
Got Worms?

You can do this on the gt3b...
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:37 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illeagle View Post
You do know you can use the button on the pistol grip for that same feature w/o having to mod anything right? You have to hold the button in the entire time you want the dig engaged. As soon as you let go it releases. Thats what you trying to do right?
This mod is opposite, you push on the button to get dig and let off to get 4wd. Its wicked sweet to drive with
Old 11-22-2011, 10:19 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Why hack in to it?

I have my 4pk set up so the button on the handle is the rear dig and the button under the steering wheel operates the front dig.
This combo makes it VERY easy to be able to go from dig to 4x4 while throttle and steering are being applied.

No need to hack.
And if I am not mistaken, you can set these buttons up as momentary or momentary and hold, which is what I use.. Just my $.02 worth.
bigstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:50 PM   #11
Gold Star Baby!

Its not to hack an already awesome radio!!! its to make it fit a hand that has limited joint movement..I have held the radio and so has the guy needing the mod...and it trully is a good mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstu View Post
Why hack in to it?

I have my 4pk set up so the button on the handle is the rear dig and the button under the steering wheel operates the front dig.
This combo makes it VERY easy to be able to go from dig to 4x4 while throttle and steering are being applied.

No need to hack.
And if I am not mistaken, you can set these buttons up as momentary or momentary and hold, which is what I use.. Just my $.02 worth.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:20 PM   #12
Gold Star Baby!

last weekend finished the 4pk mod with switches on the body. Much Thanks to a certain Colorado crawler for his detailed help!! The 4pks is slightly different so the switches dont work exactly like the 4pk but the modification for the person needing this mod worked out GREAT !! Now to decide if I want to do this mod to mine and my sons 4pk....
INFO:: For those of you who dont understand the mod let me explain....

the momentary switches are mounted on the open space beside the steering wheel and lets you push the button for as long as you need frt and rear dig..
in the case of Marty..his fingers are now able to use frt or rear dig with out touching the throttle causing a rev penalty..
So you drive the steering with your thumb and pointer and push the button with your middle finger..

Maybe I can get Marty to post pictures...
Again many Thanks to Almighty Malach and Hoppa
Old 12-06-2011, 07:34 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almighty Malach View Post
This mod is opposite, you push on the button to get dig and let off to get 4wd. Its wicked sweet to drive with
Casey I'm pretty sure we just said the same thing? You HOLD the button the whole time you want to dig and you let go for 4wd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAWLER-DAD View Post
last weekend finished the 4pk mod with switches on the body. Much Thanks to a certain Colorado crawler for his detailed help!! The 4pks is slightly different so the switches dont work exactly like the 4pk but the modification for the person needing this mod worked out GREAT !! Now to decide if I want to do this mod to mine and my sons 4pk....
INFO:: For those of you who dont understand the mod let me explain....

the momentary switches are mounted on the open space beside the steering wheel and lets you push the button for as long as you need frt and rear dig..
in the case of Marty..his fingers are now able to use frt or rear dig with out touching the throttle causing a rev penalty..
So you drive the steering with your thumb and pointer and push the button with your middle finger..

Maybe I can get Marty to post pictures...
Again many Thanks to Almighty Malach and Hoppa
I would definitely like to see some pics of it if its not a PIA.
Illeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:47 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Casey I'm pretty sure we just said the same thing? You HOLD the button the whole time you want to dig and you let go for 4wd.

I would definitely like to see some pics of it if its not a PIA.
Yes we did. But you can't do that with both front and rear dig on the stock buttons. Its not possible with the way Futaba programmed the radio. This mod allows you to have momentary dig on each axle. Its hard to realize how sweet it works until you drive with it, but its definitely worth doing
Old 12-08-2011, 08:06 PM   #15
Gold Star Baby!

Here is a picture of the switches added to the 4pks

Thanks Marty...post up and let the people interested know how it works for you