Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: VXL 3s power issues - thoughts?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2011, 11:13 AM   #1
Powered by Awesome

Default VXL 3s power issues - thoughts?

I pulled my vxl out of my slash and put her in my scx-10 with some paddel tires for some hill climbing fun FOFF style, i had her running inside of the house - got her dialed in and programmed and such. removed the battery, recharged it and set her on the shelf. 1 week later - i pullher off the shelf - repeak the battery - take her out to tear it up and the servo will power up but the throttle is none responsive. i put a cheap brushless esc on the velinion motor - works like a champ - i then put another motor on the velinion esc.. nothing. the power button will turn it on (no indicator light) but the steering works - but then i cannot turn it off (have to pull the battery). I also tried 5 different battery packs (thought i was loosing my mind) ..... could it be something in case under the power button?

Has anyone esle ran into this? I have not called Traxxas yet due to that i am the 2nd owner of his system and the "repair" cost is $55 plus my shipping it out there.... i can get another used one off of ebay for that price.

Any info you have would be great!
TwistedXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2011, 11:46 AM   #2
RCC Addict

I just purchased a unit from someone on RCC. He had sent the item in with what I think was similar issues. He found out it is a problem with the on / off button (Dirt) on the ESC. For what this information is worth.
DRV KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:02 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Have you Re-Calibrated everything?? Hold it down till it turns red and then the first blink full throttle.. 2 blinks reverse full throttle and then nuetral.
Solitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:06 PM   #4

x2 on the re calibration!!!
JTG671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:25 PM   #5
Powered by Awesome

just took it apart - nothing looks "burnt" - no dirt in the switch - the led does not come on. im about ready to crack it open and toss it into a baggy of uncooked rice to pull any moisture out of it that may be there. anyone else have this? The only way i can tell it is on is that the servo starts to respond.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:31 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

any chance of hooking the battery up backwards? short circuit? nosy/bored ppl in the house?
envious8420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:42 PM   #7
Powered by Awesome

battery is not reversed. i tried multiple batteries. i did find something different though. when power on (remeber - no led light - only servo works) the motor is acting like a drag brake... wierd? i have no led and no throttle but it is acting like a drag brake = hard to roll.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:07 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

what happens if you unplug your servo and try?
Old 11-21-2011, 06:21 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Location: In West Monroe,LA...yes,where Duck Dynasty is filmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRV KRAWLER View Post
I just purchased a unit from someone on RCC. He had sent the item in with what I think was similar issues. He found out it is a problem with the on / off button (Dirt) on the ESC. For what this information is worth.
I had the EXACT same issue with one.Traxxas tech said it was in fact dirt(microfine) stuck in the button.They sent me a new one one but i hadnt had it very long,so they didnt charge me.I have since experienced the same issue with dirt in the new one.I blew it out with 125psi,then sprayed wd-40 and next i will brush on some "liquid electrical tape" just over the button.Hopefully that will keep out the microfine sand.Thats what i run in mostly
krazykrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:26 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Now you got me wanting to take the 2 i have and blow them out.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:57 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

been zooming around google and traxxas, from what im seeing id look at the motor wiring. also make sure its plugged correctly and fully into the rx. no brainer right? I did it last night. LOL
Old 11-22-2011, 12:44 PM   #12