Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: so I had an old cordless drill...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2011, 10:00 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default so I had an old cordless drill...

the battery doesn't hold a charge long enough to use it 2 or 3 times plus it was a super cheap crappy drill...

I've heard about people using drill motors before, so I tore this one apart and pulled the motor from it. here it is comparing it to an old Axial 27t

has some numbers on the side!

bolts right up to an Axial trans

have a few questions though.

1) how do I go about determining what turn this motor is, if there is a way? it feels a lot stronger trying to spin the pinion than the 27t, if that means anything probably not, that's probably just because of the longer can and larger magnets

2) do you think this would burn up an AE-2?

3) lastly, the motor says 18v on it. I'm running 8.4v hump packs. is that 10v less difference going to burn the motor up quick?

let me be clear, I'm not looking to throw this motor in and think I'll never have to replace it again, I just had the old drill laying around and thought it would be a fun little hack job/project

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 11-27-2011 at 10:02 PM.
iamsuperbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2011, 10:21 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Without pulling the motor apart and then removing the winds, there is no good way to know the # of turns.
Likely it's OK for a crawler, but until you try it, who knows.
As to the voltage, I would NOT run it way undervolted. Running a 5S LiPO pack would be decent.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:57 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

the turns like said above is hard to determine. you might find that info from the maker of that motor.

as for power, a DC motor runs off adjustable voltage. running 8 volts on a 18 volt motor means just arent gonna get alot of power. wont hurt it though.
OntarioCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:59 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

out of curiosity, why does running an electric motor undervolted cause damage to it?

sent from my BAMFed Thunderbolt
Old 11-28-2011, 11:00 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

If you are outside it's design voltage range, you can generate a lot of heat in the motor that can burn up the winding insulation. It may also add to the draw through the ESC, not 100% sure though.
Most ESC's today run a voltage through the motor in pulses, speed is adjusted by varying the pulses.
Lots of pulses = fast, not too many pulses = slow.

Way back when, speed controls were an open resistor which varied the voltage using a wiper arm on a servo, sorta like a slot car controller but the servo replaces your trigger finger.
Yes, my first RC cars were that type of speed control.

If the motor is happy with a varying voltage, fine. If it's not designed for it, it may not last long.

Hey, for the price, try it out.

Maybe JRH or Eddie0 will chime in.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:23 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I would ditch that motor and pull the guts out of the drill to use in a scaler build. Its probably got some sort of planetary in there and if it has multiple speed ranges then you can use it as a multi speed trans.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:17 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR 510RR View Post
I would ditch that motor and pull the guts out of the drill to use in a scaler build. Its probably got some sort of planetary in there and if it has multiple speed ranges then you can use it as a multi speed trans.
it's a single speed transmission setup on it, and the planetary system is sort of built into the chuck... I'm sure it would come out, I just haven't screwed with it that much yet

here's the closest thing I could find online, but it's not exact. I can't find any documentation on the motor that matches the numbers and letters on it

DC motor Variable speed RS550-RC - Detailed info for DC motor Variable speed RS550-RC,DC motor,DC motor Variable speed RS550-RC,RS550 on Alibaba.com

interesting though, the voltage says 4.8v - 18v

the drill this came out of was a variable speed; the further you pulled the trigger, the faster it went. and the trigger appears to just be an old fashion resister style thing. pulled it apart and it has a spring loaded slider in it and something wired to it with a big heat sink on it

screw it, might solder on a Deans and see what happens what's the worse that could happen, fry a stock RTR ESC? LOL
Old 11-28-2011, 10:38 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I say run it. It's just a silver can. It won't hurt to try. I have friends that use to race back in the early 90's with drill motors.
liketocrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:05 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

The motor should be fine to run although for $20 you can probably buy a motor that will outperform it.

Start prying on the rest of the drill and hope for metal internals!
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:04 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
If you are outside it's design voltage range, you can generate a lot of heat in the motor that can burn up the winding insulation. It may also add to the draw through the ESC, not 100% sure though.
Any DC motor will do just fine being underpowered as long as it isn't overloaded. The 18v rating is the max voltage the motor was rated for in consumer/typical use. The motor can and will stand up to more voltage, but it cuts the life of the motor faster the higher you go.

I can guarantee that you will not burn up that motor running a 7 cell Nimh as long as you don't overgear it or overload it. If it's geared well, it will last a very long time.

Try it with the AE-2. Simply check the ESC and motor temperature every few minutes into the run. If you cannot hold your finger on the motor can for more than a couple seconds, then gear it lower and try again. If the ESC is too hot to hold a finger to for a few seconds, then it's too much motor.
Draggermirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:10 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

I've got an old 18v drill motor (looks the same as that minus the sticker).
Its speed it about the same as a 55t 540 can. On 3s lipo it gets along fine (if a bit slow), runs cool as and has plenty of torque.
Throwing 6s at it and is freakin' hilarious though.

Last edited by WIDELOAD; 11-29-2011 at 11:50 PM.
WIDELOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:37 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIDELOAD View Post
Throwing 6s at it and its freakin' hilarious though.
lol, maybe it'll last long enough for me to pick up a BR-XL (future plan) and try that out

sent from my BAMFed Thunderbolt
Old 11-29-2011, 06:58 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

[QUOTE=Charlie-III;3404247]If you are outside it's design voltage range, you can generate a lot of heat in the motor that can burn up the winding insulation. It may also add to the draw through the ESC, not 100% sure though.QUOTE]

isnt that just ac motors.
korn_2956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:18 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

[QUOTE=korn_2956;3407157]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
If you are outside it's design voltage range, you can generate a lot of heat in the motor that can burn up the winding insulation. It may also add to the draw through the ESC, not 100% sure though.QUOTE]

Isn't that just ac motors.
AC motors are worse. DC motors depend on their design. I err on the side of "not letting out the magic smoke".