Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: servo winch, list of compatible servos?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2011, 07:28 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default servo winch, list of compatible servos?

i've searched around for a while, and i can't seem to find any type of list of servos that work well for modifying to use as a winch. i have seen some servos aren't 360* modifiable, and others are. is there a place with a list of good servos to use? if not, maybe we can start one here.
ohh EPiC FAiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2011, 03:02 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

I just had my first attempt at converting a servo to a winch with great success. I used a MG996R , real cheapie about $8 delivered off ebay and a claimed 10kg torque. I bought a few of them for spares a while ago and am still using one in my honcho for a few months after a trail repair. its holding up so far as a winch and if it dies I wont cry over $8. I thought it a safe option instead of ruining a $50 servo.
northkona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:26 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

can anyone shed some more light on this? if not a list of good servos, maybe a good list of specs to look for in a servo to be used as a winch?
Old 12-12-2011, 06:46 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohh EPiC FAiL View Post
can anyone shed some more light on this? if not a list of good servos, maybe a good list of specs to look for in a servo to be used as a winch?
I would suggest that you use a metal geared servo. If you have a choice, a servo with a higher torque spec should be used over one with a lower one. If you can get a couple of round servo horns, it makes it somewhat simple to make a winch spool, otherwise I think one of the vendors here on RCC makes a really excellent spool that you can buy.

Of course, if you find that once you have built a servo winch that the winch creeps in or out, you might give one of my winch controllers a try. Don't be discouraged if your transmitter only has a two position third channel because I make a controller that will work with that too.

The link in my signature goes to all my products.
heyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:22 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

In my opinion, the Hitec 645mg is the best all around servo to make a winch out of. Can be found for around $35.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:30 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyok View Post
I would suggest that you use a metal geared servo. If you have a choice, a servo with a higher torque spec should be used over one with a lower one. If you can get a couple of round servo horns, it makes it somewhat simple to make a winch spool, otherwise I think one of the vendors here on RCC makes a really excellent spool that you can buy.

Of course, if you find that once you have built a servo winch that the winch creeps in or out, you might give one of my winch controllers a try. Don't be discouraged if your transmitter only has a two position third channel because I make a controller that will work with that too.

The link in my signature goes to all my products.
how much torque do i need to be looking for? is it just a matter of preference? and i've checked your stuff out, i plan on getting a couple tihngs from you once i get going on a scaler. just trying to figure everything out prior to buying stuff, gotta keep a tight budget on it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post
In my opinion, the Hitec 645mg is the best all around servo to make a winch out of. Can be found for around $35.
i will keep that in mind! i definitely like the price of it. i had one in an ofna LX1e(1/8 electric buggy) and i didn't like it for that application, but it definitely seems to have it's place.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:37 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
how much torque do i need to be looking for? is it just a matter of preference? and i've checked your stuff out, i plan on getting a couple tihngs from you once i get going on a scaler. just trying to figure everything out prior to buying stuff, gotta keep a tight budget on it!

i will keep that in mind! i definitely like the price of it. i had one in an ofna LX1e(1/8 electric buggy) and i didn't like it for that application, but it definitely seems to have it's place.
Get the highest torque servo you can afford.
I like the Hitec 645, but I have owned two of them and used them as steering servos in my crawlers. I kept stripping the gears. I won't buy another for that use, but I wouldn't hesitate to use one for a winch as they won't see the same kind of shock loads (I think) that they would when steering on a crawler (falling down a cliff was what I was thinking ;) ).
Still, a TP995 is less money and more torque so that is where I would spend my money.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:13 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I converted one of my Hobbico CS-170's to a servo winch and it will pull a 9 lb. rig up a tree and fast. This is a 90 dollar servo though.
J-FAB NOR-CAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:49 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

It's might be better to change what your asking for to a list of servos not able to make a winch out of?
Just my idea!
baddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:10 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

thanks guys! the tower pro servo looks like it will be a good option, i love cheap stuff that works well
Old 12-14-2011, 07:02 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: servo winch, list of compatible servos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddman View Post
It's might be better to change what your asking for to a list of servos not able to make a winch out of?
Just my idea!
that's what I was thinking

find a servo you'd be willing to hack up after paying for it, then search around online and see if anyone's ever turned it into a winch or if they were unable to turn it into one
iamsuperbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:28 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

yeah i think i've decided i will go with the TP 995 when i do it. i was reading a thread the other day, can't remember which one, but someone mentioned something about using an ESC to control their winch. can anyone tell me how that works? i figure i could get a cheap 10A brushed ESC for about $10 from hobbyking so it's worth looking into!
Old 12-14-2011, 09:29 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
yeah i think i've decided i will go with the TP 995 when i do it. i was reading a thread the other day, can't remember which one, but someone mentioned something about using an ESC to control their winch. can anyone tell me how that works? i figure i could get a cheap 10A brushed ESC for about $10 from hobbyking so it's worth looking into!
Spend just a little more (okay, a little more than twice as much) and get one of mine.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:34 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

haha if i have any creeping issues i plan on it! i just like weighing all my options, even if it makes things more difficult