Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: dual micro sidewinder & 4pl issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2011, 12:14 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default dual micro sidewinder & 4pl issue

So I am running dual sidewinder micros and a futaba 4 pl radio. Wired up my xr last night, ran into some issues with getting the esc's calibrated to the radio. My brother inlaw used his spektrum radio to trouble shoot, we got the esc's to calibrate to the spektrum radio, and then tried again with the futaba, and then it worked. Seemed a little odd why we would have to use another radio first to get the esc's to arm, and then it worked with my 4pl. So for this part just wondering if anyone has an explanation for me.

The other issue is that when you squeeze the trigger to go forward the red led's light up on the sidewinders, and reverse on the radio the green led lights up. This is opposite of what castle esc's are supposed to do. The thing is everything works perfectly aside from the wrong color led's lighting up. Squeezing the trigger the truck creeps forward, hitting reverse it goes backwards, I already hooked it up to castle link, motors are running in normal direction, rear motor leads are switched like you are supposed to with the xr 10, dig functions work, proportional works, the truck is moving in the correct direction based on radio input it's just the lights on the esc's are saying it going in reverse. I have not contacted castle yet, wonder if its a minor firmware issue. Also there is no diminished power forward to reverse, I know sometimes when you reverse settings on the radio one direction gets sluggish, none of that is happening as well. So yeah, little weird, if anyone has any ideas that would be great. I put 5 packs through the truck tonight and it works flawlessly. If there is any additional info. needed just let me know. Thanks

futaba 4pl tx
futaba r2104gf rx
integy 35t lathe motors
castle micro sidewinders
hitec 7954
no bec
2s 600 mah batt.
bikerj08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2011, 03:55 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: dual micro sidewinder & 4pl issue

I suspect that both of your motors need their wires swapped. Then reverse the throttle channel on your TX. This should get everything in the correct orientation, but you may want to re-calibrate the ESCs again.
wantAsummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 03:15 PM   #3
TSK
Shelf queen

Did you try to calibrate each esc individually to the 4pl? Or did you try to do it to both at once?

With my MT4, I calibrated each esc individually to the throttle channel, and then hooked up everything lfor the dual esc setup.

And I agree with wantAsummit on throttle reversing and motor wires.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:14 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
Did you try to calibrate each esc individually to the 4pl? Or did you try to do it to both at once?

With my MT4, I calibrated each esc individually to the throttle channel, and then hooked up everything lfor the dual esc setup.

And I agree with wantAsummit on throttle reversing and motor wires.
I did it individually, I understand the idea behind reversing the wires and radio it's just I don't understand why I would have to do that when all the wiring, radio, and esc's is correct as far as motor direction, rear motor leads switched etc. I will try the wires and radio reversing though.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:23 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Some radios (like Futaba) need their throttle channel reversed more often than not. Not sure why, it just is.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:10 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Thank you all for your input, reversing the radio and switching the motor wires should take care of my problem. I reversed the radio and now the green led lights indicating forward direction. The motors are turning the wrong direction though so switching wires should take care of that. The 3.5mm bullet connectors for the motors are buried in a mesh wire loom though so that sucks, don't really feel like redoing it so i will prob just wait til I can use my bro's castle link and reverse the motor direction at the esc's. I will leave it the way it is for now with the red led lighting up when going forward, because aside from that it works perfectly. Thanks again guys.

dual micro sidewinder & 4pl issue - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do 4PL & 4PK control the dual ESC system the same way?? Campaign000 Electronics 1 01-12-2011 07:38 AM
Dual steer? Punk comp, or 4PL control. Krakker Electronics 7 01-11-2011 09:38 PM
dual micro sidewinder with a berg landon4 Electronics 1 01-26-2010 07:13 AM