Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: My SCX 10!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2012, 07:03 PM   #1

Default My SCX 10!

Ive just built my 1st scx10 an was wondering what woukd be the best esc an motor to run? Ive got a high lift with a Titan motor an XL-5 an found it to be fine but sum people on here say they hav had loads of problems with motors burning out an so on?? Any help would be greatfull! cheers
BigTomo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2012, 08:44 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: My SCX 10!

The XL-5 could be used but it is not optimal for crawler duty. The lack of adjustments and lack of a drag brake will leave you wishing you had something else.

There are a lot of good options, everyone will have their own favorite. Also, price usually factors in quite a lot when shopping for electronics.

What are you looking to spend?

ESC

Good and Cheap:
Castle Sidewinder V2 or SCT-I have a few of them and have not had a problem with them although others on here have had overheating problems. You can get them on ebay brand new for roughly $40, people buy combos and sell the motor and ESC separately to make a couple bucks. Since most people are after the motors the ESC's go for very cheap.

Mid range:
There are a ton in this category...My favorite is the Tekin FXR, very solid ESC for under $100. It will only do brushed motors but it does them well!

High End:
Probably the best scaler ESC has to be the Holmes Hobbies BRXL...Basically a beast of an esc that is also available in a waterproofed version.

Motors:

Cheap:
Any machine wound motor would fall in this category. I have had very good luck with the Integy v12 rock crawler motors. I have a 35t in my honcho and it has decent wheelspeed and great low speed control.

Expensive:
Hand wound motors from either Holmes Hobbies or Brood. They make a bit more power and are hand built to perform.

Another option would be a Holmes Hobbies Cobalt Puller. Supposedly they are super powerful and have great wheel speed and down low torque and control.

Brushless: If you want to run brushless you will NEED to go with a sensored brushless system. I would go with a Castle Mamba Max Pro and your choice of motor. This is probably the most expensive option as you will probably spend $200 or more for a nice sensored brushless system.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:42 PM   #3

Default Re: My SCX 10!

The only reason i rated the xl-5 an titan motor is cus my friend also runs a tamiya high lift on 2.2 wheels an a junfac lift kit but itis still running a stock motor an the cheapest shit esc! it over heats when u hit a slight hill an rolls so fast down hills its real bad! The torque with mine down hills is mega comparred to his!
ive just kifted my motor an esc from my high lift an installed it to the honcho an will giv it a test tomoz with any luck!
I will also get on ebay an hav a look at these esc an motors u mentioned!
BigTomo71 is offline   Reply With Quote

My SCX 10! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Convert a SCX-kit or SCX-TR into Honcho w/ part #s neoakaj Axial SCX-10 0 12-23-2009 09:32 PM