Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: FXR HotWire Profile

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2012, 01:44 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Smile FXR HotWire Profile

Hey, anyone have any good tips for profile settings on the Tekin FXR esc (for MOA dual esc setup, specifically XR10 if possible) Like for Drag brake, throttle curve, etc. I'm about to set mine up via HotWire and I'd love some good feedback from my fellow FXR users. If possible, post pics of your HotWire settings, I'd love to see them. Thanks for the help guys!
DiggyStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2012, 02:23 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: FXR HotWire Profile

Also I've heard that the FXR's provided 3S Lipo cutoff setting (option 3) of 9.0v may be a little low to set and that a custom voltage cutoff pack voltage of 9.6-9.9v should be used as a safer measure to guard against one cell that goes lower than the others. Is this true? Might this cause any significant decrease in run time? I suppose better safe than sorry... Anyone out there use a HotWire to set up your Tekin FXR's that would give me some good advice on a good profile to use when setting up my ESCs, or even share your profile setup?
Old 01-07-2012, 04:13 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Yea, I would set the lipo cutoff to at least 9.6. 9.9 would be my choice (3.3v per cell) and although it will decrease run time a little bit it isnt that big of a deal, just bring a few packs with you.

As far as other settings that is all personal preference. I like my front drag to be about 50% and rear at 75%. The only other thing I adjust is dead band or neutral width, I bring it down a bit so that I dont have to pull so far to get going.

If you have a radio capable of exponential I would use that rather than changing to a expo profile in the ESC's.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:39 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR 510RR View Post
Yea, I would set the lipo cutoff to at least 9.6. 9.9 would be my choice (3.3v per cell) and although it will decrease run time a little bit it isnt that big of a deal, just bring a few packs with you.

As far as other settings that is all personal preference. I like my front drag to be about 50% and rear at 75%. The only other thing I adjust is dead band or neutral width, I bring it down a bit so that I dont have to pull so far to get going.

If you have a radio capable of exponential I would use that rather than changing to a expo profile in the ESC's.
Good info man, thank you! Great point about the Neutral width also, I will try that. As far as a radio with exponential, I run a Futaba 3PK so I do have that capability. What would you recommend setting it at?

Sent from my Star Trek communicator from the bowels of outer space ;)
Old 01-09-2012, 10:37 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR 510RR View Post

Would you recommend making/saving these setting changes (drag brk, neutral width, etc.) BEFORE calibrating the esc's for the first time with the Radio/Rx? or after? Does it matter? Also the neutral width defaults at 67 I think. You said you bring it down. What number have you found to be good? I agree, I don't like to pull too far before I start rolling either.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:10 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggyStyle View Post
Would you recommend making/saving these setting changes (drag brk, neutral width, etc.) BEFORE calibrating the esc's for the first time with the Radio/Rx? or after? Does it matter?
Doesn't matter. I set the items at a base point then calibrate it.

Quote:
Also the neutral width defaults at 67 I think. You said you bring it down. What number have you found to be good? I agree, I don't like to pull too far before I start rolling either.
Depends what you like, and radio you use. With my 4pk I like 35 for neutral width.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:33 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

You will have to play with neutral width to get it to where you like, dont make it too tight or you could have problems with the radio being out of range when you turn everything on.

As far as expo that is totally personal preference. I run mine rather high and find that it really helps gain a bunch of control at slow speed. I would just start upping it little by little until you find a setting that works for you.

I always re calibrate my ESC after changing settings with the hotwire so I say hotwire it first and then calibrate. It only takes a few seconds to do, I do mine every once in a while just to make sure its not throwing anything off.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:50 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
Doesn't matter. I set the items at a base point then calibrate it.

Depends what you like, and radio you use. With my 4pk I like 35 for neutral width.
Thanks bt! I use a 3PK which is just about identical to the 4PK, so that's a good reference!
Old 01-10-2012, 08:51 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Thanks everyone for the input! I hope to have my rig up and running in the next couple days. I appreciate all your advice! Keep it coming. It's all welcome!
Old 01-10-2012, 09:36 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Just a warning, the 35 setting might be off on different radios and other program aspects. It's a set it and test it type of feature.

45 is probably the best start point until you can run it a bit.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:40 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
Just a warning, the 35 setting might be off on different radios and other program aspects. It's a set it and test it type of feature.

45 is probably the best start point until you can run it a bit.
Yeah, I had thought that I would probably start a little higher (I was thinking 50). I agree, 45 sounds about right too for starters. Thanks!

Sent from my Star Trek communicator from the bowels of outer space ;)
Old 03-16-2012, 09:06 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Can u share your settings ? Pics for front and rear would be great .
patrol king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:35 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrol king View Post
Can u share your settings ? Pics for front and rear would be great .
I'd be happy to, if I knew how. I don't think I can post a pic in here because I don't have a star or something. I wonder if it would let me PM them to you?
Old 04-19-2012, 11:38 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Easy way to do it, just go down the numbers in the Hotwire screen and list the values......sorta like:

Off
F/R

This is what I use for my 2.2 Bully MOA with dual 35T motors on 3S LiPO and dual FX-R's.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:02 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Thanks Charlie, that I can do! Here goes:
My Tekin FXR esc settings:
FRONT :
Off
9.9v
F/R

REAR:
Off
9.9v
F/R

These seem to work pretty well for me so far. I'm having a tiny bit of ClodStall (rear wheels still seem to go a tiny bit slower than the fronts) but I've ironed it out pretty well using subtrim settings for the front and rear channels. I'm gonna try to go down to 13t pinion in the rear to see if I can get as close to erradicating it as I can. Other than that, no complaints so far!
I should mention that I'm using dual 16T Holmes handwound Crawlmaster 540's on 3S Lipo.

Last edited by DiggyStyle; 04-19-2012 at 01:51 PM.