Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Wiring lights a little differently

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2012, 02:56 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Wiring lights a little differently

I was playing with the lighting setup for the CC-01 today and noticed that it was taking battery voltage and stepping it up to 9v at the output side. I also noticed the lighting controller is kind of big for running 2 sets of lights. It's the TLU-01, with 8 channels out and a controller input of some kind.

I saw a video a few days back (wish I'd bookmarked it) of a guy who set up a rig where had a 9v battery stuck to the chassis of his crawler. He ran the wires from that to the body posts where they were attached to 2 washers. On the body, the lights were mounted as normal, but connected to a matching pair of washers, so when the body was attached, the washers contacted and power got through to the LEDs.

What I'm trying to figure out is A) Where the hell dd I see this video? and B) How has Tamiya set it up so 2 red LEDs in series can handle 9 volts? Reds are usually about 1.5v each and with 2 in series, 3v. Haven't seen a resistor anywhere on the lights or in their wiring. That extra 6v should have them dying in about 30 seconds.

Jim
monkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2012, 05:32 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Wiring lights a little differently

Did you measure the voltage with the LEDs connected?
wantAsummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:00 AM   #3
RCC Addict

The resistors are built into their control box. Measure the voltages at each socket and they will be much lower than 9V.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:54 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Nope. Measured at each socket and they all came up at 9v. There are a boatload of SMT resistors on the PCB. I think they probably have more to do with advanced functions than voltage regulation though.

Here's the weird part. I was playing with the red LEDs and figured if they function okay on the 9v from the controller, they'd be fine with 8v from a battery. Nope. One flash and they were done.

I suspect the lighting control unit is supplying the 9v, but pulsed. Like power is only applied 50% of the time. This is done on automotives a lot. Interesting. Wish I had an oscilloscope.

Jim
Old 02-11-2012, 11:50 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Again, did you measure the voltage with the LEDs hooked up?
wantAsummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:53 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Nope. Do you suspect the controller adjusts voltage at each socket based on what's plugged in to it? I can't see it, but it's possible.

Think l'll just bust out some 1/4w resistors and do it the old fashioned way.

Jim

Last edited by monkeyracing; 02-11-2012 at 04:56 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:37 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracing View Post
... Do you suspect the controller adjusts voltage at each socket based on what's plugged in to it?
Nope, the controller doesn't, but the attached load (normally LEDs) define the voltage and the controller limits the output current.

In an (almost) open circuit, like the one you measured, the controller tries its very best to push the right current through your voltmeter. It'can't go higher than those 9V to do it though...
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:53 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olle P View Post
Nope, the controller doesn't, but the attached load (normally LEDs) define the voltage and the controller limits the output current.

In an (almost) open circuit, like the one you measured, the controller tries its very best to push the right current through your voltmeter. It'can't go higher than those 9V to do it though...
Nice explanation, thanks for sharing. I don't mess with lights, but may do so while testing a GT3B.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:45 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Very interesting. I didn't think a cheap light controller like this would incorporate a current limiting feature. It sounds like the current gets controlled at each socket, as you mentioned, based on input.

I'm setting the controller aside and have built the lighting harnesses with resistors in line. They ideally run on 9v, but will operate down to about 6v.

Who'd have thought something as simple as a few LEDs on a toy car would get so techy?

Now I need to figure out how to warm up the colour on the horrible bright white headlamps...

Jim
Old 02-12-2012, 09:22 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracing View Post
Very interesting. I didn't think a cheap light controller like this would incorporate a current limiting feature. It sounds like the current gets controlled at each socket, as you mentioned, based on input.

I'm setting the controller aside and have built the lighting harnesses with resistors in line. They ideally run on 9v, but will operate down to about 6v.

Who'd have thought something as simple as a few LEDs on a toy car would get so techy?

Now I need to figure out how to warm up the colour on the horrible bright white headlamps...

Jim
Why use a 9v battery? Just run it off the 6v powering your RX and plan your resistors accordingly.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:24 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Could have done that, but I've got a terrible habit of yanking the body off a chassis with the wires still hooked up. Running 9v is light, cheap, easy and gives me options, like using a regular 9v battery, button cells, etc.

Jim
Old 02-13-2012, 05:40 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I saw the same video. If I recall right, it was in a thread somewhere on Tamiyaclub.com?
Theibault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:18 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

I think you're right. Thanks for the reminder.

Jim

Wiring lights a little differently - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wiring lights monkeyracing Tamiya XC/CC01 2 02-11-2012 11:45 AM
Need Help wiring my Fog lights Edward531 Electronics 0 02-16-2011 06:54 AM
tr bec wiring diagram with led lights alaskancrawler Axial SCX-10 1 03-24-2010 08:47 AM
? about wiring lights w/ the DX6i BigSki Electronics 0 03-14-2009 09:14 PM