Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: 2 b-less goats on my moa?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2012, 01:21 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default 2 b-less goats on my moa?

Need some opinions folks! Was gonna run the usual 2 fxr's & twin 35s on my moa(berg). But, ended up with 2 2s goat systems b4 i got that 2nd fxr. So, anybody know what i'm in for, putting these twin goats in? Or, should i 4get about that & get the 2nd fxr? I realize the 2 fxr/35 setup is proven, & been used many times over. But i've been very pleased whenever i've strayed from the beaten path. & i have seen b-less systems in moa's before. So, give me some input--please. It's appreciated.
jado6006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2012, 01:53 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: 2 b-less goats on my moa?

Get that fxr. Novak electronics pretty much suck other than their brushless motors.
crawler nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:06 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

jado, I don't think you'll like the drag brake when running brushless on a MOA.
If it was a worm drive, no issues due to the drive.
The power will be good, just not the drag brake.

I think you'll be more happy with dual brushed motors, 35T to 45T.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:10 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Thanks charlie. Was thinkin the same. Is it because the brushed motors do a better job of locking, when using the dig? And, what gain will i see when i drop in the tekin 35s, as opposed to the novak expert 45s i run now?
Old 04-24-2012, 05:17 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Don't know crawler. I've had my share of probs with novak, but had good ones too. Like evrything else. Blanket statements don't get it done for me. I've sent back fxr's too. More often than not, it's user error. You know, found out they were doing it wrong AFTER the puff of esc death smoke.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:36 AM   #6
RCC Addict

other than motors ive never had a lucky run with novak and neither have any of the guys i wheel with. i have 4 rigs with fxr's in them and have had them for about 3 years with no issues. novak on the other hand ive had a dozen of them and nothing ladted more than 2 weeks. another thing you could do is get a dual motor esc and run both motors off 1 so it cuts down on the amount of electronics.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:21 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Where Novak falls short is on programming,options and adjustability, also your forced to use thier "crawler" labeled motors instead of whatever you choose.

The dragbrake is plenty enough off throttle. The issue is when your trying to creep downhill at very slight throttle the rig will freewheel like there's no pinion connected. This may be able to be overcome in a MOA better than a shafty with mixing or dig.

The biggest issue in my eyes is protecting the sensor harness and keeping them out of the links. On the silver motors I assume you have if that wire gets damaged the motor is a paperweight. Your only motor option is the ballistic "crawler" motors and they still have the motor and sensor wires 180 from each other so you take a heavy risk to damage on one or the other.

You'll also have battery issues IMO. Normal comp batteries don't pass the amps required for brushless. You'll need slightly bigger packs of the highest C you can find.

Last edited by indiana mudcat; 04-25-2012 at 08:26 AM.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:25 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

That's a great suggestion crawler. But i knowi dont want the new novak twin motr esc. & i have no experience with any others. Is it the outcry i'm thinking of? I guess i'm asking for another suggestion, as far as a dual motr esc goes. Do most have built-in dig?
Old 04-26-2012, 03:05 AM   #9
RCC Addict

im not even sure if anyone even makes a dual motor esc anymore. i dont even think novak makes it but i may be wrong. and you would have to buy a punk dig.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:22 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I have run this exact setup on a MOA truck in the past and you will not be happy with it. I loved the motors but like others have said, they do not have a drag brake that works well. Slow decents will freewheel downhill, Fast! I had great service from Novak with the 3 different ESC's I had but unfortunately I don't want to have to deal with service, ever. I still have on just sitting on my bench if you are looking for another!
MikeyBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:33 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawler nut View Post
Get that fxr. Novak electronics pretty much suck other than their brushless motors.
^^^this x10. Brushless still cant touch the low end control of a brushed motor but forget the 35T's and get some HH 16T crawlmaster pro 540's. You'll still get insane low end creep (with very nice drag brake) as well as some awesome wheelspeed when you need it.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2
DiggyStyle is offline   Reply With Quote

2 b-less goats on my moa? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Goats 3s BEC not doing the job on my LCC??? timh Team Losi Comp Crawler 10 10-27-2010 03:40 PM
Doc J33P, GJM, and Billy Goats Midwest experience. O.C.D. General Crawlers 20 03-17-2009 03:52 PM