Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Running w/ LVC off

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2012, 09:40 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Running w/ LVC off

I have a VXL 3s with stock gearing running a 40c 5000 mah 3s on my Wraith and a I constantly go into LVC mode even with a fresh pack.
I was wondering if I could run it with the LVC off and just constantly monitor the volts.
My concern though is when the truck is binded up the LVC will kick in but with it off will it pull too much from the battery and cause damage to it when binded?
sixhundred71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2012, 09:43 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Running w/ LVC off

Pick up a low-voltage alarm or monitor it like you mentioned...
AgentXTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:45 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Who makes the pack. Sounds like the voltage is sagging pretty bad on the one you have?
BC-Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:46 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I had problems running my vxl-3s on 3s 5000mah 40c on my slash, too. I switched to 2s 5000mah 40c and never had a problem with it cutting off. I think it was too much juice with 3s, for my set up.
RusT808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:52 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I have 2. One is a Traxxas 3s 25c 3300 mah and the other is a gens ace 3s 40c 5000 mah and they both do the same thing. I found that while i was searching going down to a 2s might help, but I kinda don't want to downgrade.

Also will the motor pull to much from the battery when binded up with the LVC off which might cause any damage to them?
Old 03-25-2012, 10:00 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I hear you, 2s is kinda weak. But on my slash was ok because I'm not a good "speed" driver. Maybe a smaller pinion might help from keeping the motor from drawing too much power and keep the esc cooler.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:01 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

i race and had the same prob with multiple batteries...just do like you said and monitor it....get a meter for under 2 bucks...the alarm meter wont work because it does the same as the lvc.....your batts will be fine as long as you dont run them down
greggreg2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:06 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusT808 View Post
I hear you, 2s is kinda weak. But on my slash was ok because I'm not a good "speed" driver. Maybe a smaller pinion might help from keeping the motor from drawing too much power and keep the esc cooler.

Did you mean a bigger pinion? Wouldn't a smaller one require more from the motor? I might be wrong. I'll definitely try it though.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:11 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Are you sure it is actually the LVC?

That is a whole lot of amps to be pulling in a crawler...Lets say the Gens Ace Pack is true to its claims of being 40c and 5000mah, that is 200A!

If you are not running an external BEC I would look into that as you might be browning out your RX not pulling enough juice to hit LVC, the two may seem similar depending on how Traxxas does their LVC. Most of the ESC's I have used cut power for a second or two so they might seem like one another. Also since you say it happens when you are bound up it that would be prime time for the internal BEC to cutout as well.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:19 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I'm pretty sure it's the LVC. It will either go into 50% mode or just stop running the motor. But once i disconnect and reconnect the battery it will run just fine.
I'm not sure if the VXL 3s has an internal BEC. But if I do need one will the Castle creations BEC work on this system and will it help eliminate this problem?
Old 03-25-2012, 10:31 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

It has a BEC, that is what is powering your RX...

If that is the traxxas way of telling you your at LVC than maybe you are right but pulling 200A is excessive!

A castle BEC is the go to BEC for the members here, yes that would be fine.

Maybe try putting in a lipo alarm and see if that actually goes off when you experience the problem to verify that it truly is the problem.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:35 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I have a Slash 4x4 and am on the RCShortCourse Slash4x4 board a lot. The Vxl has the LVC set pretty high. I read many complaints about it, and it is an actual issue to some. Most of them got an external LVC and turned off the Vxl's LVC. I switched to an MMP on mine and ran the stock motor for a while and definitely had longer run times on it before the LVC cut in.
Mutant_Xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:40 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

A smaller pinion will put less strain on the motor and draw less amps from the esc. Making the esc run a little cooler but might make the motor run a little warmer. I guess what I'm getting at is it take some experimenting to get your wraith running the best it can under the conditions you run it.

Like said above, the cut off might be a result of a "thermal shut down" of the esc for that short burst of all those amps.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:06 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Ok, I think I'm gonna try all of these suggestions. one at a time though.
But back to my original question:

If I have the LVC off and I'm binded up when I try to power out normally the LVC will kick in, but with it off and I try to just power out will it pull too much from my battery causing damage to it or cause it to over discharge? As this will be the first option that I try, Just monitoring the volts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusT808 View Post
A smaller pinion will put less strain on the motor and draw less amps from the esc.
So the smaller pinion will be better to lower the volts pulled from the battery and help with this LVC problem? I'll try this one.

Also, will the CC BEC help with this LVC problem? If so please explain. Thanks!

Then if all else fails will the MMP handle the 3s and will it be as fast as the VXL?
Old 03-25-2012, 11:23 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

The MMP is a great upgrade if you choose to do it. I think you should search the slash4x4 forum on rcshortcourse though. The subject was brought up and people seemed to have fixed their problem with the external LVC
Mutant_Xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:04 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixhundred71 View Post

So the smaller pinion will be better to lower the volts pulled from the battery and help with this LVC problem? I'll try this one.

Also, will the CC BEC help with this LVC problem? If so please explain. Thanks!

Then if all else fails will the MMP handle the 3s and will it be as fast as the VXL?
I'm not completely sure about less draw but I think it will be like running in low gear in a 1:1 truck, so less power to turn the wheels.

MMP would be good, MMMonster would be crazy power! (if you can fit this system in the wraith)
Old 05-13-2012, 11:41 PM   #17

the internal bec might be the cause of you problem i have a bl system in my stampede with a 2.4 radio with running the rx, esc fan and steering off of the internal bec on my hw 120a esc my rx was actually shutting down briefly at wot and i use a gens ace 3s 5000mah 40c battery
bmxwayne is offline   Reply With Quote

Running w/ LVC off - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ae-2 lvc? Manfjourde Electronics 4 01-01-2012 08:17 AM
What LVC are you using? brios86 Electronics 2 07-06-2011 11:33 AM
LVC question hibbs Electronics 4 02-11-2011 07:00 AM
LVC for XL-5 R/CMaxximus5.0 Electronics 7 01-22-2011 08:23 AM
where can i get a lvc craveman85 Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 4 04-21-2010 08:27 PM