Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Dual ESC and DX3C

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2012, 07:58 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Dual ESC and DX3C

The DX3C is a 3 channel radio that has a SD card slot for software upgarde.

Has any expert here work out a way (via SD card upgrade) to give the radio ability to control dual ESC? I have no clue on how to do it but reckon it can be done. It already has pre-set 4WS capability (similar but is all pre-set and cannot be changed on the fly).

Correct me if I am wrong, to control dual ESC you need to the following functions:

1. Front or Rear Dig - this can be achieved by sending signal to the Rx to tell only one of the ESC to drive and the other one in neutral (drag brake). Programe one of the programmable switch for this function. Front dig/no dig/rear dig, and a wording on the screen to show the function;

2. Proportional drive - when the dig switch is in "no dig" position, by using another programmable switch, you can dial in the proportion of the drive between the 2 ESC from 10/90 to 50/50 to 90/10 in 5% increment. At 50/50, give a beep to notify the driver or better, have a little diagram on the screen to show exact bias percentage.

Therefore I think inherently, DX3C has the capability to do the above, just need the software to drive.

So any expert want to take up the chellange?
Colgout is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2012, 08:47 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Dual ESC and DX3C

I wonder if anyone has tried to bounce any of this off of spektrum?
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:32 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Good luck with that...

The DX3C was supposed to have that capability but came out and didnt have any of the functions that we were told it was going to have. Ideally Spektrum would come out with a firmware update that would add on the fly mixing (what you are describing) but I doubt that will ever happen since Spektrum has a hard time hearing what crawlers want. If you had the programming know how Im sure it would be possible but I doubt anyone is going to do it.

I have owned several Spektrum radios and I will not buy another one, for now my hacked gt3b has all the features I could ever want at a fraction of the price of a name brand radio. If I ever do buy a name brand radio in the future it will be a Futaba, at least they have radios with the features that users have asked for.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:35 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR 510RR View Post
If I ever do buy a name brand radio in the future it will be a Futaba, at least they have radios with the features that users have asked for.
Amen!
OKJeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:33 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR 510RR View Post
If I ever do buy a name brand radio in the future it will be a Futaba, at least they have radios with the features that users have asked for.

I guess so, but since I already own a DX3C, it would be nice that someone can do it.

It would be a shame for spektrum NOT to do anything about the firmware upgrade as the SD card was one of the major draw card of this radio and the price is a fraction of the 4pl.
Colgout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:25 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Allways wondered what to do with the SD slot???
minicrawler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:18 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Here's a thread about this:
spektrum dx3c... need help
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:46 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Is the dx3r in the same boat? For now the punk dig is working and I'm good with that and the DX3R but the proportional on the fly setting would be awesome. I think I will step up to a Futaba once I get a little more serious about crawling.
irokcrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:51 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by irokcrawl View Post
Is the dx3r in the same boat? For now the punk dig is working and I'm good with that and the DX3R but the proportional on the fly setting would be awesome. I think I will step up to a Futaba once I get a little more serious about crawling.
The DX3R has always been limited like that, the PRO has the SD slot also but I dont think Spektrum will take advantage of it like they should.

With the introduction of the 4pl I cant see why anyone would buy a DX3R/PRO unless its a really solid deal. The only thing Spektrum has going for it in the crawling world is that the Losi BND vehicles include Spektrum RX's, other than that I cant think of a single reason to run them. Dont get me wrong I have a DX3R and DX3E that has the hack on it and they are nice radios but the stupid firmware limits the DX3R way too much for our uses.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote

Dual ESC and DX3C - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dual steer - Dual esc Cliffy oldhippie Duratrax Cliff Climber 2 08-30-2010 09:47 AM
My LCC MOA - Dual ESC, BL 17.5T, Dual 3S axelram Team Losi Comp Crawler 47 06-26-2010 02:00 AM
Futaba 9CHP setup for dual steering, dual esc duartev Electronics 5 06-07-2009 08:58 AM