Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Lipo packs charging c experiences needed...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2012, 12:30 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Lipo packs charging c experiences needed...

Turnigy 3s2200mah40c packs. Specs on hk site say a charge rate of 5 c is acceptable, that's 11amp charge rate lol. As of now I've been charging at close to 1.5 c. Anybody charging quicker?
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2012, 01:08 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Lipo packs charging c experiences needed...

You can but it will diminish useable cycles. I only go 2.5c on my 5c packs only because the cheaper packs tend to be over rated by the manufactures.

But I know quite a few who charge at 5c with no issues. I like to be safe is all.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:16 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Yeah a lil bit overrated, the reason too much of a cheap pack seems to work for me Not looking for these packs to last forever but also don't want a safety hazard, they're so cheap I replace after a year or so. Will start with 2.5c and go from there.

Thanks for the input.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:26 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I charge at 1c regardless of what the pack says it can be charged at. What's the rush anyway?

I have some GensAce packs that say they can be charged at 5c and some Sky LiPo that say to charge at 2c but I find that they charge better at 1c. The times I've charged the GensAce packs at more than 1c and run them they were way out of balance (one cell at 2.9v and the other at 3.5v). When I charge at 1c they seem to be more stable when run hard.

This may be just a bunch of mumbo jumbo, but it's what I see when I charge. My competition packs are 800mah 3s 40c packs that I charge at 1c. Since you store the LiPo at about half charge anyway (3.8v/cell) then the charge time is usually about 30-45 minutes at 1c.
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:06 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post
Turnigy 3s2200mah40c packs. Specs on hk site say a charge rate of 5 c is acceptable, that's 11amp charge rate lol. As of now I've been charging at close to 1.5 c. Anybody charging quicker?
It doesn't make any difference to a lot of people since their basic charger likely only charges at 5-7A. I, like you, have been charging at 1.5C on ALL my LiPo's (95% from HobbyKing) and they seem to be lasting quite well. Some are over 5 years old.
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:53 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ik632 View Post
I charge at 1c regardless of what the pack says it can be charged at. What's the rush anyway?

I have some GensAce packs that say they can be charged at 5c and some Sky LiPo that say to charge at 2c but I find that they charge better at 1c. The times I've charged the GensAce packs at more than 1c and run them they were way out of balance (one cell at 2.9v and the other at 3.5v). When I charge at 1c they seem to be more stable when run hard.

This may be just a bunch of mumbo jumbo, but it's what I see when I charge. My competition packs are 800mah 3s 40c packs that I charge at 1c. Since you store the LiPo at about half charge anyway (3.8v/cell) then the charge time is usually about 30-45 minutes at 1c.
Sometimes its a rush, sometimes its just knowing the capability is there should I need it. I always balance charge and cells are pretty close after a charge at 1.5c, within .02v anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
It doesn't make any difference to a lot of people since their basic charger likely only charges at 5-7A. I, like you, have been charging at 1.5C on ALL my LiPo's (95% from HobbyKing) and they seem to be lasting quite well. Some are over 5 years old.
Yeah my chargers max at 5amps so that would be a tad over 2.5c. Wow 5yrs eh, I've usually given em away or salt water dunked em by 1.5yrs or so.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:35 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I usually charge the smaller lipos (2200mAh) and under at 1c. Anything larger I go to 1.5c. I do charge a couple of my larger flight packs (have a ton of electric planes) at 2c.
road_rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:20 PM   #8
RCC Addict

As far as I know. 1C is equil to 5 amps.

Not saying Im right. But I would like to know for sure.
KBrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:22 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBrog View Post
As far as I know. 1C is equil to 5 amps.

Not saying Im right. But I would like to know for sure.
If you're charging 5000mah packs then it is
Old 05-13-2012, 12:57 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post
Yeah my chargers max at 5amps so that would be a tad over 2.5c. Wow 5yrs eh, I've usually given em away or salt water dunked em by 1.5yrs or so.
And that's a bit of a misconception by many.
Most basic 5A chargers are 50W and the wattage is the governing factor, so using Ohm's Law...
I(amps)=P(watts)/E(volts)
A 3S 2200mAh LiPo will only charge at 4.17A max on a 50W charger, based on 12v. Likely a little less due to wiring and connection losses.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:32 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
And that's a bit of a misconception by many.
Most basic 5A chargers are 50W and the wattage is the governing factor, so using Ohm's Law...
I(amps)=P(watts)/E(volts)
A 3S 2200mAh LiPo will only charge at 4.17A max on a 50W charger, based on 12v. Likely a little less due to wiring and connection losses.
It should charge that 3 cell to 12.6 volts. Most 5amp chargers will not charge above 5 amps because they are set to 5 amps max. They will recognize xx watts and hold back the amperage below 5 amps if necessary
z50king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:38 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Depends on what I am doing. Just bashing around the house I charge at 1c. At the track I charge around 4c. No ill effects yet, but I went into it willing to scrap a battery if it became questionable and just replace it.
PFC FNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:02 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by z50king View Post
It should charge that 3 cell to 12.6 volts. Most 5amp chargers will not charge above 5 amps because they are set to 5 amps max. They will recognize xx watts and hold back the amperage below 5 amps if necessary
Not sure what you're trying to say here, but yes, a 5A charger will not put out more than 5A (real world losses notwithstanding). That's the limitation the manufacturer puts on their charger because of the components they use. And yes, fully charged, a 3S LiPo will be at 12.6v. I used 12v for easy math plus 12v is somewhere in the middle of the voltage range of a 3S Lipo.

The amperage isn't the limiting factor here, the wattage is. If it were the amperage, then you should be able to charge any LiPo at 5A. 2S and 3S are poor examples since they sorta sit in the 50W charger output range. Take a 4S (14.8v) on your 50W charger and see if that will charge at 5A.

Not even close.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:16 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Somewhere around 3amps for me on 4s5000mah30c's for the mt's. Was confused when I first saw it, then duh set in
Old 05-13-2012, 10:03 PM   #15
Suck it up!

1c, always.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:47 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I have no fears of lipos. I am scared as hell of Nimhs. I won't charge them.

I am a wee bit more agressive charging my lipos than some people. I go for just shy of the max charge rate on the pack. 4-5C None of my bigger packs are rated below 45C discharge however. I always buy the highest C rated batteries I can find. Except Maxamps. I stay far away form those.

I have 360 mah 20C Turnigy Rhino packs that are 4 years old and get 4C charge rate. 15 minutes max. Zero temperature fluctuation after a charge. I store them fully charged. Still charge to full capacity and balance perfecty.

I have 2250 mah 65C Nano techs that I max my Accucell 6 charger out on. No issuse at all.

HK packs are so cheap, I'll just toss them if they start to act funny. I have had nothing but great luck with lipos over the last 5 years of so.
BurnLatex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:49 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Not sure what you're trying to say here, but yes, a 5A charger will not put out more than 5A (real world losses notwithstanding). That's the limitation the manufacturer puts on their charger because of the components they use. And yes, fully charged, a 3S LiPo will be at 12.6v. I used 12v for easy math plus 12v is somewhere in the middle of the voltage range of a 3S Lipo.

The amperage isn't the limiting factor here, the wattage is. If it were the amperage, then you should be able to charge any LiPo at 5A. 2S and 3S are poor examples since they sorta sit in the 50W charger output range. Take a 4S (14.8v) on your 50W charger and see if that will charge at 5A.

Not even close.
That is exactly what I wrote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:50 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnLatex View Post
I have no fears of lipos. I am scared as hell of Nimhs. I won't charge them.
I know what you mean! few people I know have seen a nimh cell blow out of a moving vehicle and break through the wall of the track it was racing around.....

Lipo packs charging c experiences needed... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
charging aaa packs Dubs Chops Electronics 7 01-10-2009 02:56 AM
Fast Charging 2/3 A packs Harvo Newbie General 9 05-15-2008 02:04 PM
charging 2/3A packs ecoli Electronics 5 09-12-2007 04:14 PM
charging 2/3a packs Calderwood Electronics 8 07-31-2007 03:45 PM