Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: What's wrong with my setup?!?!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2012, 09:50 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Cool What's wrong with my setup?!?!

Hello folks, i'm bout to go nutz! I have a berg w/a new tekin 45 out back, an "expert" novak up front, no bec(2s), & a new M2 esc. 1st thing-when i wired up the esc, i did it pos to pos, neg to neg, like the directions say. After, i firedit up, & the axles were doin their own thing! Opposite directions. So, unsoldered the new tekin, & wired it up backwards. Problem solved. Or is it? & why did i need to do that? Here's the part that's really buggin me. The rear axle isn't locking up when i hit dig! That's the reason for the new motor. Everything on the esc is maxxed. Was told when i had the novak out back, it was cuz the motor sucked. Nope! Its better than it was, but not right. Would a bec w/3s change things? Dont see why it would. Never has before. I'm not changing over to 2esc's, & a stick tx. Had an xr10 that way-great for comping, but never really dug the control scheme. Nobody at 3 different hobby shops can figure out why this is happening! Want to ask the crowd that knows before dropping more scratch! Thanks for any advice. I'll keep up on this post in case there are any questions.
jado6006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2012, 09:59 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: What's wrong with my setup?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jado6006 View Post
. I'm not changing over to 2esc's, & a stick tx. Had an xr10 that way-great for comping, but never really dug the control scheme.

first, you don't have to run a stick radio. there are lots of options out there for radios with a wheel.

now for your problem, i would put my money on your esc. the novak m2 is known not to really work that good. i would assume that you went thru all the calibrations of the esc word for word by the book? these esc's really are picky about how the calibration and setup is done. if you have another esc to swap in i would try that for troubleshooting. i bet it fixes your issues.

as for the axles spinning opposite directions, this is normal. the esc sends the signal to the motor to turn a certain direction. problem is on moa rigs that the rear motor is usually mounted backward and results in the "normal" direction to actually be reverse. that is why when you buy motors from companies like holmes hobbies, one will be regular and one will be marked "reversed". with other motors you have two options, either reverse the direction of the motor inside the esc (if your esc has that option) or swap the polarity on the motor.

side note, you could rotate the endbell of the motor 180*.
hoghead5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:20 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Alrite hog. Thanks btw. 1st, igetcha on the novak thing. But there were 2 moa's at one of the shops, that were both running the m2. No problems at all. Had a servo/switch setup, then a rooster w/elec dig, now this. Dont get it. I'm gonna try rotating the bell after i switch the wiring back.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:38 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Jado - x2 on the ESC being the problem. I have an M2 with 2 HH 45t motors. Got it working "ok" but was never happy with the drag brake. Swapped it out last night for an old fxr and punk dig set up I had and it now works perfectly. Next best thing to dual ESCs. If you don't want to go with dual ESCs you could always try the fxr/punk route. I might even have a spare already wired - PM of interested.
new2it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:47 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2it View Post
Jado - x2 on the ESC being the problem. I have an M2 with 2 HH 45t motors. Got it working "ok" but was never happy with the drag brake. Swapped it out last night for an old fxr and punk dig set up I had and it now works perfectly. Next best thing to dual ESCs. If you don't want to go with dual ESCs you could always try the fxr/punk route. I might even have a spare already wired - PM of interested.
X3.
I bought a used XR-10 that came with a M2 Dig ESC with 35T motors in decent condition. Running it off a hacked GT3B.
I could get the dig to work (ran through all the changes in the ESC settings) but was never happy. This was on 3S with a CC 10A BEC.
Pulled the M2, wired in 2 CC Sidewinder Micros and all works great now.

I have a club member that runs an M2, he is happy with it, but I could never get it to do what I wanted compared to FX-R's or any CC ESC's.

And yes, you have to wire one motor reversed from the other on MOA's.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:53 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Okay guys, lookslike i need 2 swap in an fxr. Have one,just need to get a punk dig. Alomost relieved about ditching the novak(for now). Thanks again!

What's wrong with my setup?!?! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
hitec 7995 setup wrong for me tbilz Electronics 5 05-12-2011 04:00 PM
Whats wrong with my dig setup C-MuRdaA Newbie General 5 04-10-2009 05:44 PM
Smoked two ESCs...what was wrong with the setup? TheHeadHunter Electronics 5 03-29-2008 09:53 AM