Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: tekin vs holmes esc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2012, 05:11 AM   #1

Default tekin vs holmes esc

i am new to crawling and i am wanting to up grade my esc i believe to Tekin FXR ESC or Holmes Hobbies Torquemaster BR-XL - Waterproof. Which of these would be the best for the money i am leaning towards the holmes hobbies but the tekin does sound really good. I have found them where there is about 10 dollars difference in them and was wondering if the tekin really is that much better then the holmes. I want the best that i can afford and these are a little more then i was wanting to spend, but what i think i am going to get ,but i would like to here what you all have to say. If you can think of another ESC that might be better for the same money please mention them. Also i plan on getting a 35 t motor as well when i get this esc. It is to go in scx that i recently purchased. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Chack100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2012, 05:58 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: tekin vs holmes esc

Only advantage the Tekin has is size, BR-XL beats it everywhere else as does Castle's Mamba Max Pro.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:27 PM   #3
Got Worms?

Holmes BR-XL is alot better esc for the money, its just bigger than the tekin. Its size is what makes it popular. With the scx-10 you don't need a tiny esc though
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:15 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Like others said. the BRXL is better in every way except size. The FXR is very small...very very small. The Holmes is a bit larger footprint size. But it is not too tall. But the options and strength are way worth it. The only way I would pick the FXR would be if I simply could not fit the BRXL. But the BRXL is such a great esc that I would strap it to the hood like a dead deer and use it anyways. And you can not get and FXR in a waterproof version. For a scaler that is an absolute must unless you only run in dry weather on rocks. Most scalers see water or mud at some point. Once you have something like a waterproof BRXL you will look for it . The only downfall I can think of is having to plug it into a Castle Link to change things. Not hard and very easy to do when in the program. But I run my receivers buried and waterproofed in a balloon. So if I want to adjust things, i have to undo that and then re seal it. Not much of a big deal as you can set it and test before sealing it and would rarely have to go back and change things. If I could adjust down drag brake on the go, it would be nice. The BRXL can have a monster drag brake. But on some wheeling trips, I do not want that. Very small detail, but just one thing to point out. I think on the FXR, you could change the brake amounts with the buttons on it on the go. But for me, if someone gave me an FXR, i would use it, but save for an BRXL to use anyways. I always think it is one of the best if not "THE" best upgrade I have ever made to my scalers.
Rook82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:35 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

as already said the tekin fxr is more designed for competition style crawlers. it's size makes it a great choice for these rigs as space is hard to come by. also the tekin is a lightweight so in comp rigs where you are counting grams trying to get them lighter this esc helps alot.

that said, for any other application, the holmes hobbies br-xl is better. it has great functions, you use the castle link to adjust it, capable of 6s lipo, and you get holmes support. it's hard to beat the brxl for a brushed esc. if brushless is in your future look into the castle Mamba Max Pro. it will run brushed and brushless, and has tons of features you can access with the castle link. it's only downfall (if you call it that) is its not waterproof.
hoghead5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:10 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook82 View Post
Like others said. the BRXL is better in every way except size. The FXR is very small...very very small. The Holmes is a bit larger footprint size. But it is not too tall. But the options and strength are way worth it. The only way I would pick the FXR would be if I simply could not fit the BRXL. But the BRXL is such a great esc that I would strap it to the hood like a dead deer and use it anyways. And you can not get and FXR in a waterproof version. For a scaler that is an absolute must unless you only run in dry weather on rocks. Most scalers see water or mud at some point. Once you have something like a waterproof BRXL you will look for it . The only downfall I can think of is having to plug it into a Castle Link to change things. Not hard and very easy to do when in the program. But I run my receiveGrs buried and waterproofed in a balloon. So if I want to adjust things, i have to undo that and then re seal it. Not much of a big deal as you can set it and test before sealing it and would rarely have to go back and change things. If I could adjust down drag brake on the go, it would be nice. The BRXL can have a monster drag brake. But on some wheeling trips, I do not want that. Very small detail, but just one thing to point out. I think on the FXR, you could change the brake amounts with the buttons on it on the go. But for me, if someone gave me an FXR, i would use it, but save for an BRXL to use anyways. I always think it is one of the best if not "THE" best upgrade I have ever made to my scalers.
Get a three inch servo extension wire, plug it into your rx and run it out the ballon. Just unplug and plug into Castlelink anytime you want. I believe you can manually program most functions using your tx also.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:32 PM   #7

I am going to go with the holmes if i can find one but everywhere i look for them is out of stock
Chack100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:39 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chack100 View Post
I am going to go with the holmes if i can find one but everywhere i look for them is out of stock
Worth the wait. I put one in my buddies crawler, freaking awesome.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
asian195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:41 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana mudcat View Post
Get a three inch servo extension wire, plug it into your rx and run it out the ballon. Just unplug and plug into Castlelink anytime you want. I believe you can manually program most functions using your tx also.
Thanks,
I think you are right about that. I haven't looked at the directions to my BRXL since I got it about a year ago. I do remember that there a few things you could do, but I did not remember being able to adjust brakes, etc. my bad if I gave false information stating you could not do something that you actually can . I had considered doing what you stated with a servo extension. I have a few of them laying around somewhere. That is really a good idea for anyone who may want to change things but still bury the receiver. Throw some dielectric grease in the connection and run it.
Rook82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:52 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

I run the FXR on both my scalers and wouldnt use anything else. I believe both ESC options will give you the performance you are looking for and the ability to tune it to your rig as needed. The BRXL is a great ESC but it is too big for my scalers and thats why I run the FXR. You cant go wrong with either ESC. Just plan ahead and know what your end game is for your rig and what available space you will or wont have.
Propane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:46 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

I have two FXR on my comp crawler and love them. I just picked up a Homes for my wraith, if I could, I would have gone for another FXR. Both ESC's are great units. You can't go wrong with either, just preference. The 6s is a plus but I don't plan to go above 4s. One more thing to think of is that with the Holmes unit is that you can get away with not running a BEC. And not glitch. With the FXR a BEC is a must. have fun with what ever you get.
ynmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:41 AM   #12
www.ottsix.com

Go with holmes and have Chris cut it down to size CreationFab - Crawler Accessories and Custom soldering Services
crawl-o-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:35 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawl-o-matic View Post
Go with holmes and have Chris cut it down to size CreationFab - Crawler Accessories and Custom soldering Services
Or check my sig.
opek is offline   Reply With Quote

tekin vs holmes esc - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tekin FXR vs Holmes Hobbies BR-XL jeepscx10 Electronics 29 10-18-2012 02:43 PM