Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Took the plunge... few different bl motors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2006, 04:07 PM   #1

Default Took the plunge... few different bl motors

Well, I took the plunge and bought a Axi 2826/10 and a MP Jet 2820/7. Supposedly the 2826 is the same size as the MPJet 2820 but with 6mm longer magnets for more torque. The test rig is a Uforce 75 until JR(Holmes) gets Mamba's in. Testing will be done on GP3300's and Lipo's (2s0p 3,200 w/ 16c discharge). Test rig is my crappy custom semi-scale csc-1 stretched for a txt-1, while the tranny will be a regular ol' Pede tranny with billet internals. I doubt I'd need a gd600 for these motors as their no-load rpm per volt is under 1000. The 2826/10 is the one I'm really interested in testing because it should have CRAZY torque compared to even the 2820, which is overkill compared to the 2810 (revolver!). We'll see how things fare out. I'll post pictures tonight of the test rig
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2006, 04:23 PM   #2
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Sweet Cant wait for the report! The Shulze should be nice and smooth on the forward throttle.

How heavy is the Axi?
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 04:50 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Oooooohh, BIG outrunners! Sexy!!

Welcome to the Revolution!
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 06:59 PM   #4

The Axi 2826/10 weighs 6.5oz! She's not exactly a light motor but that's not really a problem considering how I have the chassis setup on the txt. I'm kind of scared what anything over 50% throttle will do because this motor easily has twice the torque of the Revolver at the same RPM. I plan on starting the gearing at 15/72 on the 'pede tranny. The motors should be in by Friday, as well as me grabbing a Mamba or two from JohnRobHolmes to play with different esc's. I'm pretty sure the U-Force75 will have better power/drivability going foward, but pretty sure the Mamba will absoloutly wreck it in terms of how reverse works (Schulze's reverse software sucks).
Old 07-24-2006, 09:05 PM   #5
TEAM MODERATOR

Have you decided or did you find another option for your pinions?
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 12:13 PM   #6

I ended up finding a 66t emaxx spur and putting it on the 'pede tranny. I have a few 5mm pinions from my old Hacker 8XL, so that's pretty much solved. When the motors do get here though I'll see how hard it would be to remove the shaft completely from the can and have a machine shop lathe it down to the right size. I'm not sure if it's feasable or not. I have my eye on those new Lipo packs with the adj. voltage (A123), but I'll wait for a revew or two from other users before I invest even more money, but it sure does sound promising (10v out of a 2s0p pack), which would be damn perfect for larger outrunners.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:47 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by microgoat
Oooooohh, BIG outrunners! Sexy!!

Welcome to the Revolution!
some really big outrunners
http://www.plettenberg-motoren.com/U...ator/Motor.htm
http://www.plettenberg-motoren.com/U...ator/Motor.htm

you only need a big rig
EGRESSor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 04:49 PM   #8

Well they shipped today, hopefully get them by Friday for some testing.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:00 PM   #9

Well motors came in today, beating the DHL's website estimated delivery date. The Model Motors Axi 2826/10 motor is CRAZY. Compared to the MPJet 2820/7, damn. They're 2 different classes of motors although they share similar outside dimensions. I can see where the 30 dollar difference in price comes into play. You can't even move the Model Motors Axi 2826/10 by the shaft, while you can easily move the MPJet 2820/7. That one tells me the 2826 is going to have a hell of alot more torque. The MPJet 2820/7 comes prewired with 2.5mm gold connectors, which no car-intended ESC I've ever seen uses. It also has the hard motor-wind wires, that can break if bent at sharp angles. The Model Motors has a very fine silicone coated wire which is softer than the Deans Noodle wire I usually use. I was told Model Motor's motors do come with 3.5mm connectors in the packaging, but mine didn't. Not really a problem as I have many laying around. Just thought I'd give you guys an update. I'll cut the pede tranny on the side to pass the wires through later on tonight as well.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:07 PM   #10

That pede tranny have a metal diff too?
Old 07-28-2006, 01:22 AM   #11

Sadly, no. I missed my chance on getting the metal diff housings for 'em, and I don't remember who makes them. It does have the billet input shaft + gear and the al. idler. The pede tranny took the abuse of a 1930/5 on 4s lipo, I think it will fare alright with the 2826/10. I took it apart to check for wear and everything is a-ok. I use wheel bearing grease in everything I touch, and it seems to help out alot, as neither the al. idler or the billet input shaft gear show any wear past work-hardening of the machined surfaces. The plastic diff cup looks damn near brandnew except for some silver deposits from gear break-in (I assume). We'll see how well it works out.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:56 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

This sounds interesting. Are the 'Model Motors - Axi' you mentioned the Gold Series Outrunners? I am considering a MP Jet 2820-7 for my Twin Force, but then I read your thread and saw the Gold Series 2820. Is there much of a difference?

Last edited by Cubman; 09-25-2006 at 04:08 PM.
Cubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 04:44 PM   #13

Just from handling the mpjet and the AXI's I can tell you the AXI's are of higher quality. They also have a removable shaft so you can turn it down to 3.2mm without much fuss.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:29 PM   #14

Glad ya took my advice John I remember telling you with much excitement over the phone about how good they were ;) Sadly my crawler has taken the bench as I bought my gf a stampede (xl-5, the motor died after 12 runs... with the stock gearing... don't get me started). So in went the uforce 75 and Lehner 1930/7. The motor only spins 3krpm/v, and with stock gearing it's severely ungergeared, even then it's an easy 35mph on 6cells with the ability to pop wheelies at 20mph. Sadly, a pretty nasty crash into the tire of a truck killed the esc. Well, not really, the gold connectors broke open. I opened it up and tried soldering in new connectors but they were too large and I ended up trying to wire it directly. Unfortunately I think the amount of heat required for 12g wire may have melted a trace in the middle layer, so the UForce75 is dead after getting it the same week it was released. I loved that esc, it never failed me once, handled 14cells through a 1930/5 (2 over it's rated limit) and never a whisp (of smoke :P ). It will be missed. John, do you have Mamba Max's in stock? If so I'll pick up 2 from ya (a combo if you have one).