Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: 645's stripping

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2006, 06:50 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default 645's stripping

just got a 645 for my clod/stick went to one comp and strip a gear inside is anyone else having this problem with them this is the second one i have seen strip this quick
Shaun (yota) is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2006, 07:48 PM   #2
I'm a stupid C U N T!

warranty it as for it stripping what were you doing when it stripped did it fall or hit something or did it get bound up?
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 08:15 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

No Servo Saver And It's On A Rock Crawler With About 9 Oz On Each Tire So I Would Say It Is Possible It Got In A Bind
Old 07-30-2006, 08:21 PM   #4

I dont got a problem with the internal gears stripping, but I always end up stripping the servo horn teeth. I'm going to be upgrading to metal servo horns hoping it will mesh better and not strip. If I put super glue or lock-tight will it help prevent the servo horn's teeth from stripping?
Codeman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 08:41 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I Run A Metal Servo Horn On Mine Got About And 1.5hrs Run Time On The Servo One Other Guy That Crawls With Me Got About The Same With A Plastic Servo Horn On A 2.2 Stick With Moabs
Old 07-30-2006, 08:45 PM   #6
Official Cook of the ECC

Never had that problem. Stripped some plastic horns but now with metal horns I have no problem. Did I miss a comp or something or did this happen at the last comp?
Scattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 08:50 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Me And Squid121 Went To Fred Howard Beach The Next Wedsday And Did Some Crawling Thats Were Squid121 Stripped His Then Today I Ran The Stick Again Just Playin At The House And Didn't Even Make It Half Way Through My Rock Garden And It Stripped So No You Didn't Miss A Comp Are You Goint Make It The 26th To The Skyway
Old 07-30-2006, 09:05 PM   #8
Official Cook of the ECC

I think so. I race the weekend before and after but I am pretty sure I can make it.
Scattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 09:45 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

You can clock the internal gear 180 degrees and get another use out of it.
FrankyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 10:49 PM   #10

Yeah do what Rizzo said. But yes it's a common problem. That is why I have went to 1/4 scale servos.

I was constantly stripping the metal gear in the 645s. It did it worse on my clod which was running widners and wide tires than on my TXT. It would usually strip from flipping or rolling. The tire would hit a rock really hard and it will strip the gear. Instead of the tire turning when it hits a rock (while flipping or wrecking) it just stripps the gear.

You can take it apart and turn the gear around to get another use out of it like FrankyRizzo said. Then you can buy the replacement gear but it get expensive quick.
RXcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 11:14 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Wow... I run a 645MG on my Clod with 6OZ extra weight... No probz... Buddy of mine, has stripped 2 on his NN Clod AND blew out a pair of Kimbro servo savers... I've trashed an S3010 and a stock ACE servo, but, the 645 holds out like a bear for me... Could it be I have an older one and some of the newer ones just aren't up to snuff? A bad run of gears maybe?
DaViolentOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 06:47 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I only had a problem with a TXT I had with extra weight on the axles. After I took the weigh off never had a problem. You may want to try the 5645 digi. I ran those on my stick and never had a problem.

Also another thing to keep in mind is to try to steer while the wheels are rolling a bit. When you are steering when stationary thats when problems start.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:03 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

I don't think this is a servo problem, my friends and myself have been running 645's for years with out any recurring problems of any kind. We have been bashing HARD with these without the problem you state.
Bobtail74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 08:06 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankyRizzo
You can clock the internal gear 180 degrees and get another use out of it.
I did this a while back and it works great. I can still drive my crawle while I am wating on the gears to come in.
TMXONR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 09:54 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViolentOne
Wow... I run a 645MG on my Clod with 6OZ extra weight... No probz... Buddy of mine, has stripped 2 on his NN Clod AND blew out a pair of Kimbro servo savers... I've trashed an S3010 and a stock ACE servo, but, the 645 holds out like a bear for me... Could it be I have an older one and some of the newer ones just aren't up to snuff? A bad run of gears maybe?
I HAD ONE ON MY GECKO 2 FOR ABOUT 1 YEAR TOOK THE ELECS. OFF IT TO PUT ON MY STICK THE SERVO LASTED ABOUT 3 MONTHS THEN BOUGTH THE NEW ONE AND GOT A COUPLE RUNS OUT OF IT SO IT IS POSSIBLE THEY HAVE A BAD BATCH OF GEARS
Old 08-01-2006, 03:38 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Save your money junk the 645 and buy a real servo because all you will do is keep wasting time and money on a servo that won't hold up on a clod.. BUY an HS-5955 TG. I won't ever buy anything else.
jevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 03:13 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

I have been thinking of getting those TI gear servos. Only thing I haven't seen any parts for them. No gears on tower of servo city. What do you do if by some chance you do strip a gear? Maybe they are so strong they will never strip.

I strip gears every time I go out now on HS 5645 MG's. I was wondering if I went to 645 MG with less torque if they would strip as much. From this thread it seems that the 645 suck too. I've just about had it with these junk servos.

Bret
bret4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 10:57 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bret4
I have been thinking of getting those TI gear servos. Only thing I haven't seen any parts for them. No gears on tower of servo city. What do you do if by some chance you do strip a gear?

Bret
If you strip the TI gears I will buy you a set.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:57 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

I'm running the 645's right now on my clod and have stipped the gear in the rear servo....roomate drove it off couch. I have the gear flipped 180* right now to keep it going and will do it again for the front if I need to.
If I was to switch from the 645 to the 5955, will I need to do anything other than bolt it on? Do I need to but the programmer, cause if so I can get a lot of 645's for that price. Are these plug and play like the 645? Will they need more power? Will I need to run a reciever pack or will the TR2 or SR take care of it?
TxCruzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 02:12 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankyRizzo
If you strip the TI gears I will buy you a set.
It's good to hear you think they are that good!

One point is that I don't see gears for the HS-5955 TG anyplace. If you strip them you may have to buy a new servo. Maybe they are so good you'll never strip a gear. Hope so.

Bret
bret4 is offline   Reply With Quote