Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: rear steer radios

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2006, 10:24 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default rear steer radios

I know there a lot of ?s on rear steer radios but I have to ask any way, just to kill my curiosity. I am debating between the Crawler store tq3 for 65.00 with receiver and crystals or the Clod Mod Racing unlimited tq3 for 120.00 with receiver and crystals.
I want rear steer but would not use it on a full time basis, only when I deem it appropiate. I want to be able to steer each independently, one at a time or in unison. Ideally I would like to have the rear steer proportianal, like the front. I do no think any of these will do that though. Its either cranked to the right or the left or nuetral.
Do both models allow you to servo reverse and fine tune servo throw? Give me some of your opinions on both radios or what you think would work best for me.
flexmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2006, 11:43 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

No one has got opinions on any of these radios or runs them?
flexmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 03:17 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I like the stick radios myself. I use the futaba attack 4 channel. It will give you proportional rear steer and an extra channel for another esc if you are building a clod.
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 04:00 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Those radios will not allow for proportional rear steer like the front. They have a toggle switch that, when activated, turns the rear wheels to one lock or the other. No in between.

For what you want I would suggest either the Airtronics M8 or M11 they have a pot on the third channel that can be used to steer the rear wheels just like the front.

But they are not cheap.
Rockpiledriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 10:04 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

You really don't need proportional rear steering. It's easier to just flip the swicth and for get about it. Instead of trying to steer the front and rear proprtional at the same time. It would hurt more then it would help.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 11:30 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2jeepn
You really don't need proportional rear steering. It's easier to just flip the swicth and for get about it. Instead of trying to steer the front and rear proprtional at the same time. It would hurt more then it would help.
x2. Proportional rear steer sounds nice in theory, but it is not required. Independent rear steer is much more important. I have found that when you need rear steer, you generally need it cranked all the way anyway, so don't bother with proportional. It is really easy to mod a TQ3 for rear steer for the cost of a $2 switch - there's lots of info here on how to do it, and you should be able to pickup a TQ3 radio on eBay for $25.
oIIIIIo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 03:49 PM   #7
Dirt Addict

Location: Stumblin' thru the parking lot of an invisible 7-Eleven

These radios can be modded for prop rear steer if you want to do a little hacking.
Jay
roktoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 07:27 PM   #8
Colt Python/SR9c

Besides with servos that most people use, they would be pushed full tilt anyway trying to get the tires to turn
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 08:09 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Just buy a TQ3. It just happen there are few in the For Sale Section for Sale. Already with a 4WS Kit and Crystals. Thats weird.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 11:11 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockpiledriver
Those radios will not allow for proportional rear steer like the front. They have a toggle switch that, when activated, turns the rear wheels to one lock or the other. No in between.

For what you want I would suggest either the Airtronics M8 or M11 they have a pot on the third channel that can be used to steer the rear wheels just like the front.

But they are not cheap.
they are not cheap, but they are awesome! i've tried modded TQ3's, and since i bought an M8, i would never go back. infinite adjustability!
gregrocks90046 is offline   Reply With Quote