Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Spektrum Dx2e ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2012, 11:58 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Spektrum Dx2e ?

Debating on buying one of the Cheap Spektrum Dx2e Radio's as this will be my first ever aftermarket radio, So my question is Can this Radio be used to run more than one truck, does it have Memory ? My plan is to buy the radio and then buy 2 more receivers along with it. I'm wanting to run my Sc10, Blitz ese, and my Axial scx10 all on one radio, Can it be done with this system ?
ablaydes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2012, 12:23 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Spektrum Dx2e ?

I would go with something else...In all honesty Spektrum lost my support long ago.

Depending on your budget there are two paths that I would recommend going down.

The first is also the more expensive option, a Futaba radio. If you want to buy it once and forget it then the 4pl is the radio to get, they obviously offer other less expensive options as well.

The second option is the GT3B or GT3C, they are a great budget radio and have more capabilities than the DX2e out of the box and can be made even bettter with a hack kit availible from LosiKid on the forums. You can also buy one pre hacked from him for right around $100, the base radio is I think $35 or something like that. The great thing is that it has model memory (the DX2E does not) and additional RX's are availible for less than $10, hard to beat that. Also with the hack you can go up to 6 channels, that can come in handy on a scaler where you might want to turn on/off a bunch of lights, use a winch, have rear steering etc. Also the hacked version allows for on the fly mixing for dual ESC's or 4ws if you ever decide you want that.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:30 PM   #3

I run the DX3C and am extremely happy with it. Lots of channel mixing options and adjustments, 20 model memory, and more features than I'll ever use.

You can get knock off DSM2 receivers on Ebay for around $10 that work great with these radios as well.
jkracing37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:31 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

For our needs the DX3C does not have sufficient mixing and that is one of the reasons why Spektrum burned a bridge with a lot of us.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:35 AM   #5

Ah, I didn't realize...

What all mixing needs do you have?
Old 09-09-2012, 10:33 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Dual ESC mixing. Before it came out they were saying that it would have it and it has the sd slot for updates and then it came out and it didnt have it and I dont believe they have released one update since the radio has been out.
Old 09-09-2012, 03:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR 510RR View Post
Dual ESC mixing. Before it came out they were saying that it would have it and it has the sd slot for updates and then it came out and it didnt have it and I dont believe they have released one update since the radio has been out.
There are Clod guys using it to mix twin ESCs. The Castle SV2's don't like to be "Y'd" off one channel so they are mixing two channels to run dual ESCs.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:02 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkracing37 View Post
There are Clod guys using it to mix twin ESCs. The Castle SV2's don't like to be "Y'd" off one channel so they are mixing two channels to run dual ESCs.
If you can not adjust the mix on the fly then it is not what we need.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:07 PM   #9

Quote:
If you can not adjust the mix on the fly then it is not what we need.
You can...sort of. Depends on what you're looking to do but you can load two mix profiles in and change between them on the fly using the "E" button. The "master" channel doesn't change but the channel that is being mixed can be selected from two different profiles.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:35 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Wow, That really got off topic fast, I don't have anything with dual esc's, just wasn't sure if the Dx2e was a model memory radio or not, cause I've searched and really didn't see if it was or not, the thing is I'm not really wanting to spend a lot, just need something that works and is cheap and by cheap I mean like $80 bucks under cheap
Old 09-09-2012, 06:55 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Neither the Dx2e or dx3e have model memory they are both 1-to-1 radios. Dx3c, dx2s or dx3s or higher if you want model memory and want to stick with Spektrum.
FauxMako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:35 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
You can...sort of. Depends on what you're looking to do but you can load two mix profiles in and change between them on the fly using the "E" button. The "master" channel doesn't change but the channel that is being mixed can be selected from two different profiles.
I am looking for full control just like everyone should be who is running dual ESC's...If I wanted to run a single esc I would do that, why would I spend the extra cash for an additional ESC with no benefit? Anyone who is running dual ESC's without full on the fly mixing wasted a bunch of money.

Forget Spektrum and buy Futaba or a GT3B/C...You will thank me in the long run.

OP just because you do not currently want a feature does not mean you wont want it in the future, buying right the first time can easily save you money in the long run.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:17 PM   #13

Quote:
I am looking for full control just like everyone should be who is running dual ESC's...If I wanted to run a single esc I would do that, why would I spend the extra cash for an additional ESC with no benefit? Anyone who is running dual ESC's without full on the fly mixing wasted a bunch of money.
Sorry man, I was just asking out of curiousity. Race Clods don't need to independently control 2 ESC's - generally speaking you want them both controlled the same at all times so I was just curious how much control you need over the mixing. Now I know.

To the OP - sorry for dragging off topic. The FlySky GT3B is a good option for what you want to do. Extra receivers are cheap as well.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:09 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Sorry man, I was just asking out of curiousity. Race Clods don't need to independently control 2 ESC's - generally speaking you want them both controlled the same at all times so I was just curious how much control you need over the mixing. Now I know.

To the OP - sorry for dragging off topic. The FlySky GT3B is a good option for what you want to do. Extra receivers are cheap as well.
Thanks, The GT3B is prob what I'll go with, I've seen a lot of good reviews, but do I really need to get it hacked for my 3 simple applications of use for what I'm going to be doing it should be fine ? Right?
Old 09-10-2012, 12:07 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablaydes View Post
Thanks, The GT3B is prob what I'll go with, I've seen a lot of good reviews, but do I really need to get it hacked for my 3 simple applications of use for what I'm going to be doing it should be fine ? Right?
Yea, it works fine out of the box for your typical uses. The great thing is that you can always hack it down the road if you feel the need.