Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: looking to get back in to rc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2012, 09:26 AM   #1

Default looking to get back in to rc

I have been away for a while now and i am looking at getting my old rc going agian. What i have is a HH crawlmaster 3014 850kv motor. I never got around to getting a esc for it and now i want to finish it. My plans are to go with lipo and i will be getting a rc4wd controller for it. my question is what esc should i get. it is in a 2.2 rig with a hitec streeing servo.
tbm04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2012, 03:27 PM   #2

Default Re: looking to get back in to rc

Well I would recommend getting a Tekin fxr or fxr pro with the Tekin hot wire link but that's what I am running its small and powerfull with drag break fwd and rev and its about a 100 bucks not bad ... Make sure you get a bec if your using a servo over 200 oz
Satanicfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:40 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satanicfly View Post
Well I would recommend getting a Tekin fxr or fxr pro with the Tekin hot wire link but that's what I am running its small and powerfull with drag break fwd and rev and its about a 100 bucks not bad ... Make sure you get a bec if your using a servo over 200 oz

X2
juswin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:51 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I would recommend a brushless controller over an FXR since you have a brushless motor. Sidewinder will do you fine, Mamba Max Pro will let you upgrade to sensored later. Depending on rig weight and other factors like gearing you might get by with a Mamba Micro Pro.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:51 PM   #5

Doesnt the fxr have a brushless capability but I have heard good things about the mamba line I had a micro 8000 back in the day on my 18 th scale it was sweet but it was glitchy
Satanicfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:37 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satanicfly View Post
Doesnt the fxr have a brushless capability but I have heard good things about the mamba line I had a micro 8000 back in the day on my 18 th scale it was sweet but it was glitchy
The FXR's are brushed only. The Tekin RS and RS Pro are what you want for brushless.
AddictedtoRC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:36 PM   #7

I was thInking about the mamba just wasn't sure. Those also can run a brushed motor as well right? The weight of the rig will not be much. I'm trying to find some decent lipos for it so that will help.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:57 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I have ran 3014īs from jrh on mamba 25īs since the first og outrunners came out( on two of my supers), and this combo has worked great, i also run one og outrunner with a sidewinder and that works great also
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:58 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Yes they will run a brushed motor.

Check out Hobbyking for batteries. I run Turnigy Nano-tecs and haven't had a single issue yet. They are also cheap. Around $9 for a battery.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:54 AM   #10

Ok thanks for all the help. What charger are you using to charge the lipos? Also what run time are you getting on a charge.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:57 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbm04 View Post
Ok thanks for all the help. What charger are you using to charge the lipos? Also what run time are you getting on a charge.
Charger? Lots of ideas, search for "charger" here and see suggestions. I use Venom ProChargers, others use different brands.

Runtime is mostly based on capacity (mah) of the pack. It also depends on the motors, gearing, weight and how you drive.

A 850mah 3S LiPO in my 2.2 MOA is ~11 minutes, a 5000mah pack in a scaler may be hours.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:31 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbm04 View Post

"I" am using a Hitec X4 charger, but that is overkill to some. I can get around 20 minutes on one charge in my comp rig and around an hour out of my 2200 in my scaler (I know you are asking about a comp rig, but since it's been irrelevantly brought up).

Keep in mind with run times, if you plan on competing most courses only run 5 minutes, some are 6 all depending. I usually just swap out a fresh pack before a course. If you are just gonna be playing around, pick up a few on the cheap and you'll have plenty of time. I carry 6 at all times.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:32 AM   #13

Thank you. i will do some more looking and reading and see what i can come up with. ive never used lipo so its all new to me. this has been a lot of help. i have been looking on hobby king but for chargers just dont know enough about them.

looking to get back in to rc - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oh, throw it back to me..........back to me Robb Chit Chat 29 04-09-2015 08:25 AM
never drink a diet coke, and then a real coke back to back STANG KILLA SS Chit Chat 17 05-26-2010 07:47 PM
LCC on it's back.....help! roll me back over! y2kgtp Team Losi Comp Crawler 5 02-15-2010 03:38 PM
Back to back Champions. Scattman Chit Chat 1 04-03-2007 12:20 AM