Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Losi 2.4ghz radio has minor glitch?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2012, 06:16 AM   #1
I joined the Band!

Default Losi 2.4ghz radio has minor glitch?

So I just bought this Losi 2.4ghx rx/tx combo in the classifieds. Hooked it up last night and found it has a slight glitch. Everything seems to function normally, then suddenly the truck will lurch forward slightly. It's a little random too. I was testing in the house, so there may have been some sort of other interference, but thats doubtful. My 27mhz Traxxas system had 0 glitches using the same servo and esc in the same room. The only thing that changed was the radio gear.

I made a bind cable and did try binding them. Maybe I did something wrong there? Bind plug went into batt slot. ESC cable went into throttle. Turned on ESC, light was flashing. Turned on Tx and waited for all the lights to stop flashing, turned off Tx, turned off esc.

Like I said. It seems to function normally, but it will get these tiny spikes of forward throttle randomly. It's my first 2.4ghz system, so Im unfamiliar with this. The micro antenna is stuffed into my waterproof radio box...not sure if that has anything to do with it, but it's not really long enough to stretch out at all, maybe 3" at the longest? Any ideas guys?
devestator_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2012, 07:24 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Losi 2.4ghz radio has minor glitch?

Did you calibrate the ESC to the RX? This is different than binding the TX to the RX.

Castle ESC info: Castle Creations | FAQ: 1/10th Scale Products

Some more Castle ESC info: http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...s_ed_guide.pdf

Most ESC's use a similar calibration scheme, others have a calibration button. What ESC do you have?
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:20 AM   #3
I joined the Band!

A friend just asked the same thing via email. I hadnt even thought about recalibrating. Ive been using the same radio combo for so long that I didnt even think about calibrating the esc. It's the XL-5 in my SCX. Ive had it for about 4 years now its always been trouble free, to the point I didnt even realize it could be recalibrated. Its just been turn it on and go.

I was thinking about swapping out the XL-5 for my Sidewinder just to test to see if it was some problem with the plug or something and going off in a totally different direction and over complicating things. Will try the calibration tonight and will also double check that I did the rebind correctly (though I would assume that it wouldnt work at all if they werent bound correctly)

Thanks for the quick (and slightly obvious) answer!!
Old 09-25-2012, 08:36 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

It's easy to forget the recalibrate when you swap stuff around, especially if you run into issues.
There are times it's worth recalibrating even if you didn't swap stuff. It appears that there can be an issue that gets resolved during the recalibration.

Hope it works out for you.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:57 PM   #5
I joined the Band!

Well, tried to recalibrate the ESC... no dice still did it. Tried to swap in my Sidewinder and recelibrated that... still did it. So that tells me its either in the rx or tx. Now Im thinking about buying a new rx and swap that simce its cheaper than a new tx. If that fails to solve it, then Im gonna be a bit upset that my good deal combo turned out to be more expensive than buy a brand new set in the first place. And I get to try to explain to the wife that the radio she just inherited from me needs to go back in my truck.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:09 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

try swapping the ESC & servo in the RX. See if the steering (on the TX) works the ESC and if the throttle (on the TX) glitches the steering.

You may need to recalibrate the ESC to the TX using the steering wheel.

It could be as stupid as a dirty pot on the throttle in the TX.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:12 AM   #7
I joined the Band!

Will try that tonight. If it still glitches, my last resort is bringing to my LHS and seeing if they can test it with a different rx and tx to see if we can find the culprit. That will save me some guess work. If it turns out to be the Tx, I will sell it off to get my money back and just buy a brand new setup that I know will work correctly.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:42 PM   #8
I joined the Band!

Ok... so I swapped the servo and esc and the esc still glitched. I think the servo is doing it at the same exact time, but the motor being louder is more noticeable. Anyhow, I am chalking it up to a bad rx. I pulled it apart figuring, what do I have to lose. The antenna wire has virtually no solder on it and the end has a small kink in it like it was crushed a bit. This weekend I am going to go to Radio Shack for a new soldering tip and some ultra fine solder to see if I can repair this. Well, I wont be, my wife will. She had to take a course for work on fine electronic soldering for govt and medical grade electronics. A very good thing to have around the house! If resoldering the old antenna doesnt work, then I will hunt down a new antenna wire hopefully.

I will say I am relieved that its not the TX and I just may get away with this being a great deal after all.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:35 PM   #9
I joined the Band!

Had a little light bulb go off today... Looking at the rx and realized there is a 3rd slot for ACC. I put the esc into that with nothing else attached and it sill glitched. now since it's only a 2ch Tx, that tells me its all in the Rx and its getting some kind of phantom signal. Still need to try to repair the antenna wire, but thats a relief I finally have definitive proof it's the Rx and not the Tx.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:37 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I believe the antenna is replaceable and just plugs into the board...At least that is how all my spektrum RX's are.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:11 PM   #11
RCC Addict

I have a similar problem with a losi rx tx but it's my servo has the twitch. When I drive forward or reverse and stop, the steering servo has a severe twitch.
rangercat23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:23 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangercat23 View Post
I have a similar problem with a losi rx tx but it's my servo has the twitch. When I drive forward or reverse and stop, the steering servo has a severe twitch.
What servo?
Are you running an external BEC if the servo is ~200inoz+?
Old 09-30-2012, 05:26 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
What servo?
Are you running an external BEC if the servo is ~200inoz+?
Hitec 7955tg
Bec set to 6.0v
Old 09-30-2012, 07:58 PM   #14
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR 510RR View Post
I believe the antenna is replaceable and just plugs into the board...At least that is how all my spektrum RX's are.
Not on this one, its soldered to the board. Will try to convince the wife to desolder the old wire and install the new one sometime this week hopefully. My eyes arent good enough to solder wiring that small. Battery wire, yes. Microboards... no.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:15 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangercat23 View Post
Hitec 7955tg
Bec set to 6.0v
Sounds like you are set on those.
Is the servo connection tight in the RX port?
Old 09-30-2012, 08:21 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Sounds like you are set on those.
Is the servo connection tight in the RX port?
All the connections feel good.