Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: How much truck will my brushless haul?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2006, 11:42 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default How much truck will my brushless haul?

I picked up and AXI 2808/20 brushless and a kontronik Jazz 40-6-18 speed control for a fairly reasonable price. My question is: will this dinky little motor haul my nine pound Maxx crawler around? This is my first brushless setup, so I have very little experience with them. My truck still has stock maxx tires and I am currently running a 76T spur. I can't use a 9T pinion with this motor since it has a 4mm shaft and I rather drill a pinion than turn the shaft down (resale value, in case it won't work.) Is it worth my time to fab a motor plate and drill a couple pinions or will I just be disappointed and wish I had stuck with lathe motors?

Don't flame me too bad. I'm new at this. Thanks for the help.
jsudar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2006, 11:59 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

It should work. All I know is try it. Let some of the other guys post before you try it though. I would be safe to beat it will work though. Only way it aint gonna work is if its for a 1/18 scale r/c.
John Deere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 12:17 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

After reading the brushless tutorial thread again, it sounds like some of you are running some fairly heavy rigs with the HH revolver and the mamba. Since my kontronik speedo is rated at 40 amps and the mamba is 25, does that mean I will be okay if the motor is a little overworked?
Old 08-11-2006, 05:48 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I've got a little Park 400 in a 7-pounder, and it barely gets warm. The Mamba's not working hard, either, on 8 cells. You should have no trouble at all. Drill the pinion and let it rip.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 11:59 AM   #5
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Yep yep. Give her a shot. I would suggest getting the 84 or 87t spur, but that is just so you will have plenty of gear ratio to choose from.

The mamba 25 is plenty for that motor, your Jazz will work just fine too. Keep an eye on the motor heat, dont let it get above 180c. I doubt it will get over 130f, but it never hurts to be cautious.

Stay with your stock maxx tires or maxx mashers. Dont get huge tires with that motor. You will need a longer can motor to push the super tall tires.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 10:46 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the help guys. I'd rather ask some questions than burn up some expensive parts (though I didn't pay too much for them.) I think I'll try one of those Chris Fine pinions to save me trip to my buddy's machine shop so I can get back on the rocks more quickly. Thanks again.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:16 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

I'm digging up this thread again because I rebuilt my crawler and now it is bigger and heavier than before. I'm pretty sure my little AXI is not up to the job. I'd like my rpm/volt to stay about the same, but what makes a brushless motor more powerful? Is it the length of the can or the diameter?
Old 11-28-2006, 01:39 PM   #8
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Both length and diameter make the power of a motor. What tires are you running now?
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 03:00 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I made mine bigger and heavier, too, and the motor doesn't care. I bet that Mog is ten pounds now, with six wheels, and the motor is as happy as it ever was.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by microgoat
I've got a little Park 400 in a 7-pounder, and it barely gets warm. The Mamba's not working hard, either, on 8 cells. You should have no trouble at all. Drill the pinion and let it rip.
eh bro i got the same set up but my mamba cogs so i updated the file but it still cogs do u know ur programing
hawaiiankrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 07:45 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Try low or lowest timing, and high starting power. Usually does the trick for me.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:21 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

Outrunners should be run with high/hard starts but that's meant for planes. With gearboxes you want a soft start so you don't hammer the gears. I would say go with the soft start and turn up the punch control. Lesser quality batteries can cause cogging as well. Go lipo and get some long runtimes.
drksyd is offline   Reply With Quote