Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Novak ESC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2006, 04:56 AM   #1

Default Novak ESC

Hi!

I have a Novak Super Rooster ESC and have a few questions.

Is it possible to get some brake before it goes into reverse? I bought it used so I have no operation instructions. Found some on the web, but only shows how to set it up.

I guess it isnt possible, but then to the new question. If I buy a new ESC I want a LRP, but whitch 1 is best for crawling??? Help me plz

link to Novak operation inst: http://www.teamnovak.com/download/in...ter_superr.pdf

it says Rev.Delay (after smart braking) : Zero sec?????????????????????????????

Read on Novak site, that there ESCs has smart braking, but it doesnt work on mine. I disabled reverse and the nbraking worked.

UPDATE:

found some more info.

Smart Braking: A feature in all currently manufactured Novak Reversible Electronic Speed Controls which is designed to help reduce wear and tear on the model's drive train and also reduce the amount of heat build up in the ESC. When reverse throttle is applied (while the model is moving forward), the Smart Braking Circuitry will apply brakes until the vehicle is moving at a slow enough speed where damage and excessive heat are not likely to occur. When the model slows to a safe speed, the Smart Braking Circuitry will then allow reverse to engage. Smart Braking only occurs when the ESC's reverse is enabled (see definition on Reverse Disable), the vehicle is moving, and reverse throttle is applied.

so when I go down a hill real slow and need to brake some, it will go straight into reverse. Lame if you ask me.

link to super rooser:

http://www.teamnovak.com/products/es...ter/index.html

link to smart braking:

http://www.teamnovak.com/tech_info/g...#smart_braking

Wouldnt a ESC with automatic brake be good for crawling???????? Most ESC with auto brake you can even adjust how much auto brake you want.

Last edited by BirdHouse; 08-13-2006 at 12:39 PM.
BirdHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2006, 01:48 PM   #2
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

What esc's have you used for brushed motors that have an auto or drag brake? I know practically all brushless controllers have it, but dont know of any brushed escs that have the feature (mamba maxx might)
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 02:26 PM   #3
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdHouse
so when I go down a hill real slow and need to brake some, it will go straight into reverse. Lame if you ask me.]
If I'm going very slow and need to slow down even more, I let off the throttle and motor braking works well enough. If it doesn't slow me down enough, I blip the brakes. If I'm going faster, I can use the brakes to slow down and then let off and the motor braking works well enough to stop me.

Drive more smoothly.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 03:19 PM   #4

When I let go of trottle the engines doesnt break much. The car goes off like a rocket.

About ESC with auto brake. I know most of my LRP ESC I used in my 1/10 electro touring car has it. LRP IPC digital has it + more

Last edited by BirdHouse; 08-13-2006 at 03:24 PM.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:24 AM   #5

Well I tested my super rooster some more. When the car moves forward and pull my throttle down it brakes down to full stop and then goes into reverse.

But when I go real slow down a hill I need to hold som brake and it jumps in to revers at once since Im going so slow. My motors aint braking at all. So down a hill I go fast down or revers :(

Would be great wit ha delay before it jumps into revers. Does any1 know a ESC with revers that has a delay before going into revers????????????

btw if it helps, I have 2x matrix pro lathe 45turns in paralell in my I-rock from INERBEECREW.

Last edited by BirdHouse; 08-15-2006 at 02:27 AM.
Old 08-15-2006, 07:09 AM   #6
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

the tekin rebel 2 has a programmable reverse delay. You can set it from 0 - 5 seconds.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 10:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrobholmes
the tekin rebel 2 has a programmable reverse delay. You can set it from 0 - 5 seconds.
Tnx . Do you know if any og LRPs has it?