Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: a need for motor connectors?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2006, 01:54 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default a need for motor connectors?

I went my new LHS today for some wiring bits for my integy 55t, when i asked the guy behind the counter about deans connectors he looked at me like i was talking a foreign language! He suggested that i just wire the motor straight to my esc, i dismissed his suggestion like it was BS as most crawlers ive seen use deans connectors for both batt and motor:-(, but on the way home i was trying to think why it wouldnt work. So why wouldn't it work? Why does the current have to pass through connectors when it could have a path of lower resistance? surely the esc can handle that? Iv searched this forum for ages to find an answer, i must be missing something. My electronics knowlege is basic so i hope someone can shed some light here
Stone age is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2006, 02:20 PM   #2
1*

I solder automotive spade connectors onto the esc motor leads. They fit perfectly on the motor tabs and allow you to switch motors without cutting the wires or getting out the soldering iron.
rcr3fan29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 02:22 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I solder mine directly. Never had any issues. Of course I have a 250 watt soldering iron so I can swap a motor in minutes.
FrankyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 03:08 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Cheers guys, nice idea rcr3fan thanks for the tip, Yeah franky iv also got s**t hot soldering equiptment at my disposal, il give it a try tomo thanks for your help :-)
Old 08-15-2006, 05:26 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I always solder to the motor. One less connection to risk coming loose. Only takes a minute to solder two wires on.
tkruger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 07:12 PM   #6
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I use deans plugs because it is fast. I can swap out any motor or esc in a flash. My brushed motors can all be plugged into a pack straight to drain them or break a motor in. Female plug on battery, male plug on motor. ESC is mated accordingly.

But what am I talking about? I havent used brushed motors in quite some time, except in my servos My brushless motors get plugs too, 3.5 or 4mm gold plugs.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 07:19 PM   #7

The connectors are for disconnecting the motor from the esc.It just makes it easier to work with.If your out in the field and your motor burns up and you soldered the leads together, how you going to get it apart to put your spare motor on? This is what I use on my three tlt's------

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXTJ21&P=ML
Bad_Habit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 07:26 PM   #8
RCC Addict

i solder directly to the motor. but if i did use connectors instead, definetely use deans plugs.
gregrocks90046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 09:35 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

For just my bashers and crawlers I have always used some 3M Female 1/4" Slide Connectors. If you are just bashing that would be ok. but If you are racing and need to disconnect the motor easily, solder direct to the motor and have some Deans plugs betwent the ESC and Motor. Deans plugs are suppose to have the same or less resistance than the same length of wire that would be in its place.
TMXONR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 07:15 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Yeah, the guy at the LHS is probably a hard-core racer who solders his batteries, too. For all the current a lathe motor draws, you could get by with just about any connector, or even twisting the wires together.

I have Deans on my batteries and assorted motor connectors. Some are soldered, some use terminals. All the brushless motors have bullets, and even some of the brushed motors use brushless bullets.

When you have 20+ cars & trucks it's hard to make the transition to brushless in one go, but I'm getting there slowly. 3/20+ with a new Novak Crawler on the way.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 12:58 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

I run Deans on all my cars/trucks on both the battery and the motor. Makes life a lot easier when swapping parts and Deans connectors are practically zero loss and never, ever come loose.
oIIIIIo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 03:13 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by microgoat
Yeah, the guy at the LHS is probably a hard-core racer who solders his batteries, too. For all the current a lathe motor draws, you could get by with just about any connector, or even twisting the wires together.

I have Deans on my batteries and assorted motor connectors. Some are soldered, some use terminals. All the brushless motors have bullets, and even some of the brushed motors use brushless bullets.

When you have 20+ cars & trucks it's hard to make the transition to brushless in one go, but I'm getting there slowly. 3/20+ with a new Novak Crawler on the way.

Thanks for the opinions and experience everyone, much appreciated, Yeah the guy at the shop is an old timer all right, abit of a legend, the 'what I dont know aint worth fkin knowing' type. I did think that the motor draws so little current that it wouldnt matter either way, though iv been into r/c for 10 years now iv never hard wired any of my motors like this but i think i will with my crawler as its technically just a basher.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:31 PM   #13
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I am moving to all bullet plugs too Micro. I have not used my brushed motors enough to rewire them though. That would be a HUGE advantage over deans plugs though, you could reverse the motor rotation direction in a snap.

The hard part is when you have 3.5, 4, and 5.5mm bullet plugs. Then you have to make adaptors or switch something out.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote