Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: electronic choices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2012, 08:45 PM   #1

Default electronic choices

I'm buying a rc4wd bully moa 2.2 kit for 280$ New my budget is 550$ so I was planning on the xr4 radio and dig unit and is the rtr esc the outcry any good I was thinking about putting that back in it is it possible with my budget I don't have to have to xr4 and dig but what battery and body should I get I don't want to order from hobbypartz maybe a hens ace but not any of the zippys or any like that but would like to have an acual namebrand like ckrc or something else thanks
Snickerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2012, 09:18 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: electronic choices

Get a hacked GT3B/C radio, it will run dual ESC's. Runs $100 prehacked from losikid

Then buy 2 Tekin FXR ESC's, they are each right around $100 or you could try and find something a little cheaper, Castle Mamba Micro Pro's are $75 a piece and people have good luck running them in MOA's.

If you need motors just buy some cheap Integy motors, I believe they are about $35 each.

I think that will be right around the budget you listed and you will have all good quality stuff rather than "decent" stuff. You will have full proportional control of the mixing of both ESC's on the fly rather than just front/rear dig by getting the hacked GT3B/C and that is the most desirable configuration at the moment.

As far as a body, you can pick your favorite body. You will also probably want to buy some tires and wheels at some point but you can wait for the bank account to catch up first (I am assuming the kit comes with some to get you going).

For bateries, all LIPO batteries come out of a handful of factories (the cells at least) and then they are sold to tons and tons of people who either buy full packs and throw a sticker on them and sell them or build packs out of cells and sell them. With that known, and the fact that crawlers are generally not very hard on batteries I would rather buy 5 $10 batteries than 1 $50 battery but that is up to you. I have used Turnigy, Rhino, Zippy, Etc batteries and I have never had a single failure. We can all agree that there have been issues with some of these batteries but when it goes bad I dont really care because it cost me $10. $100 batteries go bad too, they are not invincible and over time they do degrade.

As always, I really recommend that you read a lot here before buying much of anything. If its not here, or not discussed much it probably isnt very popular or any good. There is enough info on here to keep you reading for weeks!
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:29 PM   #3

I have had a billion problems with the hacked gt3 things and so has my friends so I don't want another one my recent 4pks caught fire so I'm gonna get another one later but my friends and me are doing a moa build with 1 esc all of us will be equal then later will do one with two escs so would the outcry esc and xr4 with a rocker dig unit be decent
Old 10-27-2012, 11:00 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I would buy a dig unit from Heyok on here and a FXR if you want a single esc setup.

The XR4 is a waste of money either way, it has no EPA's on 3 or 4 and none of the features you would find on a quality computerized remote. You would be better off with like a 3pl or DX3E or C.

Last edited by SMR 510RR; 10-27-2012 at 11:03 PM.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:56 PM   #5
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snickerson View Post
I have had a billion problems with the hacked gt3 things and so has my friends so I don't want another one my recent 4pks caught fire so I'm gonna get another one later but my friends and me are doing a moa build with 1 esc all of us will be equal then later will do one with two escs so would the outcry esc and xr4 with a rocker dig unit be decent
To begin with, to show my unbias opinion. I'm 98% confident that your 4pks did NOT catch on fire, i would really like to see the carnage if it did. AND if it did catch fire I'm 98% confident that FUTABA would send you a new radio, and i'd like to see their response if they won't.

Beyond that, you are considering electronics that many would not expect to see someone running if they normally runs a 4pks

And finally, you claim you've " had a billion problems with the hacked gt3 things and so has my friends"

YET, i'm 98% confident you nor your friends have EVER contacted me about these "problems" and they weren't resolved. So please, send me an email, losikid@overkillrc.com and i'd be happy to assist you with those issues your having.

As for my opinon on electronics if your on a budget

Get yourself two used fxr's from our classifieds here on rcc, head over to holmes hobbies or brood and pickup some of their budget motors, look for a used 4pl in the classifieds or a hacked flysky will do you just fine as well. For batteries, head over to hobbypartz and get some gens ace

If you really want one esc, then a hh br-xl and either a tzi dig controller or a heyok dig controller
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:06 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

You can buy 2 Sidewinder micro's for the price of an fxr. I run 2 of them, and they are great. Integy for $35? crazy talk when you can get a brood for 32.99! The machine wound broods i have work so well, it makes me wonder how awesome the handwound motors are, based on the number of guys who swear by them. Actually ordering another for my scx10 now.

I don't understand the gt3b issues. If you are on a budget, its the way to go. You need some guidance in programming it, but there is tons of that around. If you had a hardware failure, just replace it, they are a $40 radio. You can break 2 a year and still save money over a 4pks over 5 years!
spillproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:06 AM   #7

Alright I no one answered me question is the outcry any good and yes my 4pks did catch fire my battery box caught fire first then started to melt its way up and futaba said they ain't replace it since i couldn't find the reciept so would the outcry esc be any good
Old 10-28-2012, 08:21 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Alright I no one answered me question is the outcry any good and yes my 4pks did catch fire my battery box caught fire first then started to melt its way up and futaba said they ain't replace it since i couldn't find the reciept so would the outcry esc be any good
my son runs 1 in his ax10 for over a year now with no problems. drag brake is also good. i've been running the rc4wd rocker dig II for 1 1/2 years now also and works problem free and is a great little unit.
motoj550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:27 AM   #9

Thanks so much should I get 35 40 45 50 55 or what turn motor should I get
Old 10-28-2012, 09:39 AM   #10
Proverbial threadkiller

Quote:
my friends and me are doing a moa build with 1 esc all of us will be equal then
Quote:
should I get 35 40 45 50 55 or what turn motor should I get
If your quest is to run what your friends run, you'd have better luck asking them what they want you to run...... rather than having us guess what they're running.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:31 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
To begin with, to show my unbias opinion. I'm 98% confident that your 4pks did NOT catch on fire, i would really like to see the carnage if it did. AND if it did catch fire I'm 98% confident that FUTABA would send you a new radio, and i'd like to see their response if they won't.

Beyond that, you are considering electronics that many would not expect to see someone running if they normally runs a 4pks

And finally, you claim you've " had a billion problems with the hacked gt3 things and so has my friends"

YET, i'm 98% confident you nor your friends have EVER contacted me about these "problems" and they weren't resolved. So please, send me an email, losikid@overkillrc.com and i'd be happy to assist you with those issues your having.
I agree with everything you said. Strange that someone who had a $400-500 radio is trying to buy a XR4 and a outcry ESC...Even stranger when they have been given similarly priced alternatives that are 10x better.

Good luck I guess! Oh and, if you dont want out opinion dont ask for it...
Old 10-28-2012, 02:46 PM   #12

It's also funny that yall asume everything I have money to get what ever I want but I like to support small companies to make them bigger companies so we have more of a selection and my futaba did melt wither yall beileve it or not
Old 10-28-2012, 03:55 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
It's also funny that yall assume everything I have money to get what ever I want but I like to support small companies to make them bigger companies so we have more of a selection and my Futaba did melt wither yall believe it or not
I will guess that most of us are in the same boat....We want lot's of fun but have little money to spend on "hobbies".

I have NOT had an issue with a hacked GT3B, I'm not aware of issues with other hacked GT3B users (other than "user issues").

I don't recall you posting in the "GT3B support" thread before.....maybe I missed it.

I will have to guess that you're asking questions of the forum, but already made up your mind.
So.....whatever we suggest, you'll do what you want.
So.....why ask in the 1st place?? Do what everyone in your group is doing and don't waste our time.

PS, have a nice day.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:22 PM   #14

I posted on a differernt forum about the problems and I acually car about what yall day but the only thing that is ever recommeneded is fxr and micro sidewinder with hacked gt3 no one seems to want to help the little guys like rc4wd everytime I have asked for options on stuff everyone says xr10 or berg I don't want to comp I just want to bash around but be able to crawl decent
Old 10-28-2012, 05:58 PM   #15
Got Worms?

RC4WD doesn't specialize in electronics. IF you want to help out a small company, look at Holmes Hobbies, Brood, HeyOk, myself(OverkillRC)...and all our other great vendors here for stuff they specialize in. RC4WD makes awesome scale parts and machined goods, i'm not saying nothing bad about them. BUT it sounds like your heart is set and don't care about opinions from us, there is a reason why people recommended the stuff they are recommending.

And once again, feel free to send me an email, losikid@overkillrc.com to talk about them issues you say you have with the flysky stuff.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:14 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Exactly, I believe RC4WD has just contracted with an offshore manufacture to produce some stuff for them...If you look at someone like Tekin who is the manufacture they will provide a better product and support in the end. The same can be said about Castle as well as the crawler specific "small guys" that are doing this in their off time or as a very small operation like Holmes or Brood.

You asked a question, we answered and you gave us some reasons why you didnt like our suggestion. Great, buy whatever you want.

Would I buy an Outcry ESC? That was your question right? No, I would never buy an Outcry ESC...I do support RC4WD for a lot of other stuff but I will turn to an actual Electronics manufacture for my electronics related purchases.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:19 PM   #17

Alright Losikid what do you recommend personally I'm getting the bully moa artr kit with 550$
Old 10-28-2012, 06:46 PM   #18
Got Worms?

Quote:
Alright Losikid what do you recommend personally I'm getting the bully moa artr kit with 550$
Please read post number 5

Honestly, your best option is to buy a star for $20 and pickup a nice used comp rig out of our classifieds
Old 10-28-2012, 07:04 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

I have not used RC4WD electronic stuff so I cannot comment. But for a budget of $270 (for electronic), I would recommend a sidewinder SV2 and a Punk Dig unit (or 2 micro sidewinder, depends on the tx capability), 2x HH expert of sport motor. As for radio, I think hacked GT3B would be hard to beat. But you can get a 3PL or DX3E. That would be just within you budget.

As for Outcry, if they are decent, there will be more people using them. There is always a reason why no one used them.
Colgout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:19 PM   #20

Losikid pm sent

electronic choices - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
choices! 27cameron Electronics 2 06-28-2011 10:31 PM
Choices smokediver Newbie General 23 03-03-2010 01:06 PM
Choices.... Col. Sanders Tires and Wheels 22 09-23-2009 02:09 PM
Other choices? chole Newbie General 2 10-03-2006 11:45 AM