Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: got some battery questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2006, 07:34 PM   #1

Default got some battery questions

well i have been doing hours of reaserch on tlt's. but the only thing i dont understand quite as well is batterys. Now i know about the nicd and nimh batteries, and the definitive battery thread did help me alot with my understanding, but im still a little confused.

so looking for a battery ive come across GP and IB cells/packs. now i read somewere that they have the same caracteristics... has anyone found any disadvantages or advantages to the ib from the gp?

my next question is how come i dont see many people using 3300 packs or larger? i see alot of people using like 2200's or 2400' etc? now with 7 cells can i expect like an hour of run time on say a 2 amp charge or even a 1 amp.
and just to be secure can a rooster handle 7 cells?

i have this chrarger but would i be safe using this on a HIGH quality pack such as the gp's or intellcts? http://h1070145.hobbyshopnow.com/products/description.asp?prod=DYN4036

thanks for your time..and yes the search button has been used..
u guys are right that magic search button is a newbs best freind!
-nick
CRAWLERLIFEFORME is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2006, 08:11 PM   #2
K_B
I wanna be Dave

That charger will work fine. I would suggest upgrading though. I had the model up from that one. It had an LCD readout and adjustable current. Very nice to have.

You can use 3300s if you want. You'll get an hour at least from a fully charged battery. People use smaller batteries because they're smaller and lighter and it's easier to find a place to put a smaller battery.

Your charge rate has nothing to do with run-time, rather it has to do with how long it takes the battery to charge. 3300 will take about 1.5 hours to charge if the charger is set at 2 amps. At 1 amp, the battery will take a little over 3 hours. So as long as you charge the pack completely, you'll get an hour of runtime outta the battery at least. Probably more.

The rooster will handle 6-8 cells I believe. Maybe even 10. But you don't wanna run 10 cells

On deciding GP or IB, they both have similar characteristics, so just buy what's cheaper...
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 09:11 PM   #3

wow all right thank you very much that was really helpfull. now depending on the size of the sw2 im getting, it will determine the size of the battery..u think i could succesfully mount say a 3300 it the sw2 with it sitting on the axel? or other battery placement suggestions would be good.
but anyway thanks k_B for the help.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:40 PM   #4
K_B
I wanna be Dave

Take a look through the galleries and various posts for battery placement ideas. The most common place to put larger packs is on the front upper links.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 09:49 PM   #5

o ok that makes sence..ill take a look threw the galleries right now..
thanks
-nick