Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: What Lipos and Run times?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2006, 01:02 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default What Lipos and Run times?

I was looking into lipos and it's been a while since that electronics class in High School so it's kind of a lot of mumbo jumbo in ways. I do understand longer run times though.

I was just wonder for the guys with Lipos out there what packs and chargers are you using. I was gonna get the scorpion kit a while back but I can't find that setup anywhere. Even on the FMA direct site there's only aircraft packs and not sure if those are constructed the same way.

I just know if I can get a 45 minute time out of a small package, I gotta have it. Thanks for any help.
Thundermaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2006, 04:54 AM   #2
K_B
I wanna be Dave

I'm using Apogee 2S1P 7.4V 2170mah packs. Very similar in size to a 6-cell 2/3A size NiMH pack. Yields about 1.5 hours on my 2.2 running a brushless setup.

The kicker with smaller packs is a low discharge rate. Mine have a discharge rate of about 23 amps (30 peak) and you probably want about 20A minimum just to be safe...
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 06:08 PM   #3
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

My buddy plugged up a ampmeter inline with his battery last week. A 55t lathe motor peaked at 13.1 amps on 6 cells when stalled. I would say that 20 amps continous would be the safest bet. A 10C pack would need at least 2000mah, a 20C pack would need at least 1000mah.

I would go with 10C packs, they are smaller and cheaper for the same mah. As far as the size, that is up to you and where you want to fit the pack.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 06:24 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

what kink of power difference would you get from running a 7 cell IB1400 battery pack to a 2 cell 7.2v lipo? With running 65t motor.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 02:19 PM   #5
K_B
I wanna be Dave

When I upgraded from a 7.2V 6-cell GP1100 pack, I noticed a little bit of extra punch but the main difference was run-time. It almost doubled...

As far as I understand, the higher voltage is what's gonna give you more punch.
Old 08-26-2006, 02:39 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

So I would lose a lot of wheel speed then or is there not much diff? I have never ran a Lipo yet. But I'm thinking of it. They're not priced to bad and neither are the chargers for them. I may try a 7.2 pack.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 11:47 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

with my lipo set up i did notice a little more power, the part i like the best is it is half the size and weight.
roadkill424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 07:30 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I got a couple lipos to try out about two weeks ago and I chose to go 11.1v for more power (punch) and wheelspeed. I was NOT disapointed the wheelspeed was NUTS so I geared it a little lower and WOW! It works great I have plenty of run time ( both my rigs are comp trucks) the only drawback is you have to run a speed control like a super rooster or evx due to the extra voltage, but I already had one of each so no big whoop.
The battery(s) I picked up are from common sense, so is the charger. The charger is a digital auto balance charger and was only $89.99, the batts I'll have to get the info when I get home tonight but I know they are 11.1V and I think the 2.2 batt is 1100ma and the super is 2200ma. So far I have yet to hit the low volt cutoff but I have not been crawling alot lately so I'll keep you updated on how they do...
racerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 08:09 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Thanks alot guys. I know I'm going LiPo now for some space saving and runtime benefits but 1 more Q. Is there any difference between the airplane packs and car packs?
Old 08-29-2006, 02:10 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx
I got a couple lipos to try out about two weeks ago and I chose to go 11.1v for more power (punch) and wheelspeed. I was NOT disapointed the wheelspeed was NUTS so I geared it a little lower and WOW! It works great I have plenty of run time ( both my rigs are comp trucks) the only drawback is you have to run a speed control like a super rooster or evx due to the extra voltage, but I already had one of each so no big whoop.
The battery(s) I picked up are from common sense, so is the charger. The charger is a digital auto balance charger and was only $89.99, the batts I'll have to get the info when I get home tonight but I know they are 11.1V and I think the 2.2 batt is 1100ma and the super is 2200ma. So far I have yet to hit the low volt cutoff but I have not been crawling alot lately so I'll keep you updated on how they do...
Im also running a 11.1 volt 3200 mah 3 cell on my comp rig when I play around. Definately heavy but if your just screwing around it doesnt matter.
NorCal 2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 02:17 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

What brands are these? I was looking at http://a123racing.com/ and they claim to be safer than the rest (i.e. not blowup).
Old 08-29-2006, 03:02 PM   #12
K_B
I wanna be Dave

Here a nice long thread about 'em. I haven't read through it myself, but apparently an A123 rep is answering questions.

http://forums.radiocontrolzone.com/s...d.php?t=222362

The only problems I see with those are the price and the low voltage. I would think a lathe running on 6.6V would be a little sluggish. They have a 9.9 but it may be hard to find a place to mount it in with that triangular cell configuration.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:59 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

May be a dumb question but will it do damage to the to wire in parellel