Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Castle products + spektrum = danger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2006, 03:22 PM   #1
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Default Castle products + spektrum = danger

The older spektrum receivers take about 5 seconds to boot up. The newer ones still take 3 seconds to boot up. That is long enough for any castle product to say "screw it" to the initial radio endpoint setup and arm with default endpoints. This means that when you are holding the throttle and waiting to set up your system, it will just arm and go straight into full throttle.

On a crawler, no biggie. It goes 4mph and you can catch it.

On a basher, big problem. Joe at castle got a 3rd degree burn when his 7700 mamba in a t4 (3s lipo) decided to go full throttle in his lap.

Be warned, and be careful. I kept wondering why my spektrum radio never needed endpoint setup, I called Castle and that was the answer I received. Any time you set up your system you should have the pinion removed from the motor, even if it is a crawler. It sucks to finish a build and then have the rig jump off the table and break something.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2006, 03:32 PM   #2
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrobholmes
This means that when you are holding the throttle and waiting to set up your system, it will just arm and go straight into full throttle.
JRH,

Ya know, sometimes that happen to me, and sometimes it didn't. Not anymore, now I only use the Castle Link. And I was figuring I did it wrong. Ha, take that ya dumb truck! I feel better now.

Gratefully yours,
eEpe
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 04:03 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I know DJ and I both have that problem. Mine with mamba his with some other esc. We thought it was just how the spectrums worked.
Cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 09:56 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Had the problem with my RC18T. Thing about that is it went 50mph, really sucks. I found though, that two of my 3 Spektrum receivers did that. Also, the two that did this, wouldnt let me set failsafe points either.
mtdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 08:35 AM   #5

So this is only a real problem when your setting it up?
RXcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 10:37 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I always have mine up on blocks so the tires cant touch anything while doing setups and work
rockwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 12:27 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I'm not liking the sounds of this......I have a DX6 and Mamba25/Revolver setup that I havn't got to use yet :-( and I bought the castle link too. Did I just buy the link for nothing or will the link system take care of this problem?
LIKES2CRAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 12:37 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIKES2CRAWL
I'm not liking the sounds of this......I have a DX6 and Mamba25/Revolver setup that I havn't got to use yet :-( and I bought the castle link too. Did I just buy the link for nothing or will the link system take care of this problem?

not having the rig on the ground or the pinion off will solve the problem, the castle link only helps with control features not the initial radio setup. which is where the problem lies
Old 08-26-2006, 12:54 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

So what do I do if it dose do this? I'm still prety new to this brushless stuff.
LIKES2CRAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 01:09 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIKES2CRAWL
So what do I do if it dose do this? I'm still prety new to this brushless stuff.
Make usre the car is off the ground..........I start mine up for the last 20 years of RC on a stand so the wheels dot touch the ground........then no problem...read the thread completely
Old 08-26-2006, 05:19 PM   #11

Yes, there is no problem running the combination of products, There is only an issue when setting the throttle up.
Old 08-26-2006, 06:27 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Mine does it at random intervals, not when setting it up.

On an unrelated issue, I'm also having problems with my mamba esc overheating now on 8 cells. It never did that before.
Cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 08:09 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

so this problem is only with brushless motors, or can it happen with a 55 t lathe w/ rebel 2 esc???
insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 08:14 PM   #14

Only with a Castle product and Spektrum radio.

Tekin makes the Rebel 2, not castle
Old 08-26-2006, 08:21 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

ya i know, but the way it started to seem, was that it happened with all esc using the spektrum....
insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 10:36 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

ok i dont know if this works for what you guys are talking about, but i know it helps in some way or another with a spektrum and brushless setup so no flaming on me. ...........but anyways i think i have heard that plugging a capacitor into an empty port on a reciver will help when running a brushless setup and Spektrum radio. dont know how.........but i have heard it helps with some problem with a brushless and spektrum setup.
Fordx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 11:45 PM   #17
RCC Addict

I was setting up my rig this morning and had some problems too. If all my trims and settings are at 0/neutral it wont set up right but If I set my throttle trim about half way forward it sets right when I turn it on :?

Very confused...
NaZ-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 12:41 AM   #18
MODERATOR™

It's funny, because like I mentioned earlier, mine's at random. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it does exactly as it should.

Can't you do initial, and therfore all of them, settings with the Link? I thought so... ?
Old 08-27-2006, 01:57 AM   #19

The link is for the programming of motor control settings.

A seperate Boot Up sequence activates when you turn the esc on. It recognizes the radio, and "asks" an unfamiliar radio for full throttle position first. If you are not holding full throttle you need to turn the esc off, and hold full throttle before you turn the esc back on. I believe you can tell if the ESC will ask if it has a green light showing before you turn the switch on. If it already knows the radio, it will light up all colors on the board before you turn on the esc switch.

Three things can happen at this point (while you are holding full throttle and turn on the radio)
1. The ESC will see full throttle and beep four times. If you continue holding the throttle any longer it goes into programming mode with another set of beeps. If you start playing with the throttle at all you are screwing up your programming.
2. The ESC will see full throttle and beep four times. You quickly go to full reverse and program full reverse. Relax into Neutral and you are done. Make sure your endpoints are maxxed out on the controller, and everything is centered first. If you are using a cheap radio the Center pulse can drift a bit and cause problems.
3. Your spektrum radio tricks the controller into default endpoints, and your full throttle position becomes runaway vehicle until you let off the throttle.

What exactly happens EeePee?

Last edited by JohnRobHolmes; 08-27-2006 at 02:01 AM.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:20 AM   #20
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrobholmes
What exactly happens EeePee?
Well, sometimes it goes to full forward, and sometimes it'll go into programming mode. The first few times I used the DX3 to program different settings I had no problem getting it into programming mode. But then one day it went to full forward. Tried again, and it went into program mode. Couple of drives later, I went to change the start up setting, and it went to full forward, tried again, and it went into programming mode.

I haven't tried again in a while.