Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Mixing 2 esc's?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 03:45 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Mixing 2 esc's?

I'm using 2 outrunner motors & 2 esc's in my Blizzard SR. Each motor controls a track. The receiver is a Futaba 4yf radio. To control both tracks I'm pushing the stick diagonally up for forward. Vertically for one track & horizontally for the other. Is there some type of mixer that can mix the two esc's? I tryed a vtail mixer, no luck.
Gumbajv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2013, 12:21 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Mixing 2 esc's?

Are you wanting to mix it so that you have 1 stick for forward/reverse and another stick for varying the left and right motor? I dont know of a mixer that give you variable speed for each motor. There is probably a few crawler dig switches that will allow you to turn off the left and right motors for steering thought.

Why not put the left motor on the left stick Channel 3 (Mode 2) and the right motor on right stick Channel 2 ((Mode 2) The opposite if running Mode 1). If you don't have the throttle channel set up with a center return spring then contact Futaba and they should be able to supply you with the gear necessary to make the throttle channel return to center. This would be the cheaper option.

A better radio will also allow you to mix left and right ESC's.
SuperRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:55 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

With the Sabertooth esc for brushed motors I have forward/back/left/right on the right stick. The left stick is for the plow. That's what I would like. I found a mixer that may work, IMX-1 but still researching. I was looking at radios that let you mix the esc's, but couldn't find a 4 channel version.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:59 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbajv View Post
With the Sabertooth esc for brushed motors I have forward/back/left/right on the right stick. The left stick is for the plow. That's what I would like. I found a mixer that may work, IMX-1 but still researching. I was looking at radios that let you mix the esc's, but couldn't find a 4 channel version.
What kind of radio are you looking at? I know that a few Futaba 4 channel (4PKS, 4PK, 4PL) and a hacked GT3B/C can all mix dual ESC's, but these are pistol grip radios.
There are other pistol grip radios that can mix dual ESC's as well.

If nothing else, your rig sounds cool.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:19 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
4 Channel stick radios that have functionality are out there but not very many will do what you want. You need to look at a 6 channel radio for a radio with functions or as Charlie said look at a 4 channel car radio.

The Futaba 6J or 8J will also do everything you want. With these radios you could run twin sticks for driving and use the centre dial(s) for adjusting your plow or you can mix a single stick for motors, up & down for forward reverse and left & right to change the speed of the motors.
SuperRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:04 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

I'm not up for buying another radio and more receivers.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:37 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Mixing 2 ESC's?

Quote:
I was looking at radios that let you mix the ESC's, but couldn't find a 4 channel version.
Quote:
I'm not up for buying another radio and more receivers.
You're sorta contradicting yourself here, thus the "new radio" comments a couple of us have suggested.

Soooo.....what do you want from the RCC community??
Old 01-05-2013, 07:48 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

I looked around for another radio as an alternative to the mixer. I would rather try and find a mixer that would work instead of replacing the current radio. I ran across the IMX-1 that looks like it would work, but don't know enough about electronics to confirm. My question is would that mixer work?
I've built 3 modified Blizzards with different motor set ups and a Clod with a working snow plow. The last Blizzard I built with the twin outrunners is the only one I'm having a mixing problem due to the 2 esc's. They all use the 4YF radio, which is why I don't want to buy another radio.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:34 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Well, the Vtail mixer works with the stock Kyosho Blizzard radio, but not the Futaba 4yf. The mixer puts both esc's forward/back/right/left on one stick. Not sure why it doesn't work on the Futaba.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:45 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

i am trying something similar in my dual motor/dual esc boat, i am hooking up a wannasumit dig to try and mix ch1 and ch2 this weekend, i'll let you know if that worked.
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:56 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Turns out the Futaba has a internal mixing switch located behind the left battery. It does work, but you move the stick to the right for forward/left-back/up-right turn/down- left turn.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:03 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by androcathr View Post
I was looking at radios that let you mix the esc's, but couldn't find a 4 channel version.
What kind of radio??

The Futaba 4PL, 4PK, 4PKS all do it.
So does a hacked GT3B or GT3C.
These are all pistol grip radios.

I believe te New Spektrum does as well.

Mixing 2 esc's? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mixing ESC's CrookByDaBook4 Electronics 4 04-07-2012 10:16 AM
DX6i mixing 2 esc's B18B1LS1 Electronics 12 03-03-2010 05:42 PM
DJ Mixing Software 2JSC Chit Chat 2 03-18-2009 03:39 PM
Mixing help please wrightcs77 Electronics 1 02-11-2009 09:25 PM