Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Protek R/C170T or Hitec 7990TH ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2014, 10:31 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Protek R/C170T or Hitec 7990TH ??

I am building a Bully2 rig and I am choosing my servo. Would you choose....

Protek 170T with 0.11 sec and 45.4 Kgcm at 73.8g for about $160.....or

Hitec HS-7990TH with 0.17sec and 44 kgcm at 76.5g for also about $160?

On paper, Protek triumph the hitec, but all my comp rig had hitec (couple of 7950 and 7955) and its never let me down.

Can I have advice please. Both servo will fit onto the bully2 axle.
Colgout is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2014, 11:15 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Protek R/C170T or Hitec 7990TH ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colgout View Post
........ the hitec.............never let me down.

Sounds like you answered your own question.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 09:22 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

hi tech is the best in my opinion. I have that 7990. Its awesome.
Master Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 04:51 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

No doubt Hitec's are definitely a nice and reliable servo. I have had plenty of them. There were other reasons though that I decided to switch over. And of course I still believe you can't go wrong with a hitec but everybody has to start somewhere. And protek is a very new servo and not alot of opinions out there and spent time on these servos yet. The only negative thing on the proteks I have found so far is that the wires aren't twisted and when I installed the servo on my berg I found that it was causing interference with the front motor and causing the servo to glitch a little. I twisted the wires and ran the wires on the opposite upper link as the motor wires and problem solved. Anyways thats my opinion.

Protek pros:
All aluminum case
more torque than hitec
faster than hitec
same size as a hitec 7950
cheaper than a comparable hitec 7980
Diamond D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 06:06 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Servo warranty from Protek -
ProTek R/C Servos
ProTek R/C guarantees this item to be free of defects in materials and workmanship for one (1) year after the original
date of purchase. All merchandise must be received by our Service Center for evaluation to qualify for warranty repair
or replacement.
Warranties are not transferable and are therefore limited to the original purchaser of the unit. Equipment that has been
improperly installed, mishandled, abused, or has suffered damaged due to a crash or other causes is not covered under
warranty. Items repaired or altered by an unauthorized person or agency is also void of warranty.
Under no circumstances are consequential, collateral or incidental damages covered by the manufacturer’s warranty.
This is a limited warranty and gives you specific rights. You may also have rights that apply specifically to your state
of residence.
Upon inspection and testing, items that meet warranty standards and are found to have a manufacturer’s defect will be
repaired or replaced at no cost at the sole discretion of the ProTek R/C Service Center.
All standard size ProTek R/C servos require the use of the included M3x10mm screw to attach the servo horn to the output
shaft. If you choose to use another screw, be sure to use a 10mm length screw. Use of a shorter screw can cause failure
and void your warranty (excludes Low Profile and Mini Servos).

The Protek looks like a good one if your building a shelf queen.
SINister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 07:21 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Warranty for me is non existence here in Australia, even if you get a Hitec, you have to call a Person (yes a person, not an office) and he does not return call..... For me to send a servo all the way to US and return would probably better getting a new one.

Those Protek warranty statements are pretty standard, I think Hitec will be the same somewhere, whether they will enforce it is another matter. I don't think hitec warranty statement will be like this, "Hitec warranty any of servo for 1 year, even if you abused it, crashed it, drown it, binded it, overvoltage it. We will replace it for free." Although in most cases they do replace a lot of servo FOC, I guess. They do it for the sake of "brand loyalty". Similar in golf industry.

Anyway, thanks for everyone input, I will be placing order to the protek based on some feedback here is Oz. That's partly due to the size of the 7990, even it fit on the B2 axle, it will limit my shock and links options.
Colgout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:10 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Ive been running the protek in my sporty for a few months now and love it. Quiet, strong and fast. Time will tell though if warranty is even needed. I've used hitecs warranty twice in 7 years of crawling. Was usually a case breaking issue causing the gears to fail. Easy fix. Seems like the proteks are more sold towards racing but so far so good. I had the protek in the berg as well and was glitching as Dave mentioned, called protek and talked about the issue and they were more than happy to ship me a new one. One thing I'm hoping from protek is replacement gears in the future like hitec offers just in case.
KingGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:07 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

I dont see any way that the protek can truely be faster and stronger. I wont believe it until I see a real test. Ive seen too many inflated numbers to believe that some johnny come lately company is going to trump a hitec.
Master Basher is offline   Reply With Quote

Protek R/C170T or Hitec 7990TH ?? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ProTek Servos? fvrr Electronics 15 08-08-2013 12:35 AM
Hitec 7990TH shipping status???? Biscuit Electronics 0 03-29-2010 06:56 PM