Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Independant rear steer sucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2006, 10:40 PM   #1
TEAM MODERATOR

Default Independant rear steer sucks

Just kidding.

Seriously though,I modded my TQ3 for indy rear steer last night. I had my truck out today for quite a while trying to get used to it. It just doesn't seem comfortable to me. Honestly,I like my fulltime 4WS better but I can see that indy rear would be nice in a comp. I'll start by saying I SUCK at electronics. What I think would be AWESOME,is if you could wire it so when the toggle is in the center it's 4WS. Then you hit the toggle to the left and the rear only turns left,hit it right and the rear only turns right. While all this is going on at the rear axle,the wheel on the TQ3 still controls the front axle by itself like always. Might be a dumb question,can it be done? The way I'm thinking about it,probly not. Just thought I'd ask anyway for the hell of it. Maybe some odd funked up way somebody knows how to wire it up. Like I said,I know jack crap about electronics and how to manipulate them.

Would a stick radio be better? Could you program it for something simular to my Picasso masterpiece?
Attached Images

Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2006, 10:53 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

when the toggle switch is in the center you want 4ws?
i dont know if that can be done with all the other movements you want.
just set the toggle switch up on top of the tx just above the wheel, hit it with your index finger to the left when you want and to the left. it is alot nicer than having it at your thumb.

Last edited by ON THE FARM; 09-03-2006 at 11:11 PM.
ON THE FARM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 10:58 PM   #3
I'm a stupid C U N T!

invest in a good 3 channel radio like the dx3 and you can program most all that stuff in their factory mixes, or go all out and get a used M8, R-1, or other high end radio
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 11:12 PM   #4
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ON THE FARM
when the toggle switch is in the center you want 4ws?
It'd be nice,like I said though,the way I'm thinkin about it it can't be done.

Quote:
i dont know if that can be done with all the other movements you want.
Like my 2 year old nephew said eairlier.....why not

Don't answer that,I just got tickled at him a second ago and couldn't resist

Quote:
just set the toggle switch up on top of the tx just above the wheel, hit it with your index finger to the left when you want and to the right. it is alot nicer than having it at your thumb.
Nah,I'm done with toggles. Nomatter where it's at it'll still be a toggle. The more I think about it,I don't think a toggle is gonna give me all the choices I want. Maybe I could grow 4 more fingers and then install 3 different toggles
Old 09-03-2006, 11:18 PM   #5
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by slobin3d
invest in a good 3 channel radio like the dx3 and you can program most all that stuff in their factory mixes, or go all out and get a used M8, R-1, or other high end radio
Thats an option. I'm sure theres high end radios that'll do what I want. Before I bought one though,I'd have to touch it,feel it,rub it, Oh wait,wrong forum. I'd have to make damn sure it would do what I wanted and was comfortable to me and VERY simple to use before I bought one. Can't get much simpler that a TQ3 with fulltime 4WS,that about how simple I want it.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:24 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I used 2 buttons instead of a toggleon my TQ3.... made all the world of difference. It was WAY easier to get used to...and it was more comfy.
S-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 01:33 PM   #7
I'm a stupid C U N T!

what you need to do is get sponsered by JR and get a free R-1, oh wait thats me lol. yes i agree the feel of a radio makes a huge differance as well as ease of programming. my r-1 was a pita to program till i figured out what all the abbreviations where. Ive heard nothin but great things about the airtronics M8 Ive asked around about the M11 and most everyone ive talked to PRO's and local racers alike seem to say its too complicated. the futaba 3pk is nice but SPENDY. i dont like the ko ex10/jr z1 its just feels horrible in my hand. Even Jammin Jay himself told me that he would rather have the m8 over the m11 except that their his sponser and he has too
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 03:41 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Sounds like you need the set up I saw on ebay, it was a tq3 that I think used the stock toggle to switch from full time 4ws or indepentdent, it had a toggle on the back for independent and you could use the 3rd channel reverser on the bottom to switch from normal 4ws to crab walk. (at least I think thats how it was, the add isnt up any more)
Full Penetration Fab. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 05:02 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

I think it was called the UTQ3? Ultimate TQ3, but I think it was approx. $100.

EDIT: http://www.rcbackyard.com/utq3.htm
Cubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 06:28 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubman
I think it was called the UTQ3? Ultimate TQ3, but I think it was approx. $100.

EDIT: http://www.rcbackyard.com/utq3.htm
Yeah but it wouldnt be too hard to copy if you knew what you were doing
Full Penetration Fab. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 06:44 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

i used a spare trim nob thing for my tq3 its like having a small steering wheel for my thumb
gasshead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 11:21 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Raptorman57 I know you pain. I would like to set up a system that when you turn left the rear goes left, turn right rear goes right (crab walk) then be able to change to normal 4WS. I'm thinking of trying to set up a TQ3 so that I can just flip a switch and reverse the rear servo so it will turn the same direction as the front till I switch it back. Wich meens I may not even use the red switch on the handle. I'll have to tap into the servo-reversing switch.

thorn4run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 10:15 PM   #13
TEAM MODERATOR

I don't know about adding anything else to the TQ3. I'm gonna try a stick radio first. I was talking with Mike (owner of my LHS) about it. He let me take a,new in the box,Futaba 4 channel stick radio home with me to try out. I thought that was pretty cool of him. I'll try to get it set up tommorrow and see how it turns out.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:22 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I installed an old steering pot from a broken futabla pistol grip radio. it is 100% proportional woth or crab and stays where you leave the knob. The same pot costs under 3.00 at radio shack
rockwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 08:51 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

if you can setup like your picasso masterpiece diag, that would be sweet with a shift gate like they had for the bruiser!
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 12:37 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

At first I did the simple trimmable y-harness, but I thought that full time 4 wheel steering worked against me as often as with me. So I opted for a 3 channel set up, but I like the rear steering to reset itself to center when unattended. If I have to concentrate on centering the rear myself it'll screw me up. I settled on 2 momentary pushbuttons, one left one right, when both are open the steering centers itself. I really only use it occaisionally to gain traction in tough spots, or to crabwalk into a line if I need to.
If I had to choose between full-time 4WS or no rear steer at all, I'd take no rear steer. Full-time 4WS works against you too much.
Thats the best part of independant 4WS - the ability to crabwalk at will. Very helpful in tough terrain...
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 06:36 AM   #17

Default RWS idea

I think I know how to do this.... but Im not as smart as Id like to be...

http://www.veetail.com/Omni.html

Ive read everythign we want in one device... just need to figure out how to use it properly.
Mr Badwrench is offline   Reply With Quote