Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: What charger for 2/3A cells?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2006, 12:47 AM   #1

Default What charger for 2/3A cells?

I am going to be purchasing a TLT soon and all the goodies to set it up and am not sure what charger (not over pricy) would be good for 2/3A cell battery with 7-8 cells?

Also what charge rate is right for them?
Ballistic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2006, 01:48 AM   #2
K_B
I wanna be Dave

Any peak charger will charge 2/3A cells. A popular one is the Duratrax Pirahna; it's 50 bones. Do some reading in the Electronics area to get an idea of what's good. Use that search button up top

Rule of thumb for charge rate is that you can charge at twice the capacity of the battery. Example:

A 1200mah 2/3A pack can be charged at a maximum of 2.4A (1200mah = 1.2A; 1.2A X 2 = 2.4). BUT, if you want your batteries to last you awhile in terms of number of charges (not runtime), only charge at the same capacity as the battery. In other words, only charge a 1200mah battery @ 1.2A. Charging at 2.4A will give the battery extra punch, but doing that frequently shortens the lifespan of the battery.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 10:51 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I just bought the Duratrax Pirahna. Seems to be really nice for the price for sure.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 01:00 PM   #4
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_B
Any peak charger will charge 2/3A cells. A popular one is the Duratrax Pirahna; it's 50 bones. Do some reading in the Electronics area to get an idea of what's good. Use that search button up top

Rule of thumb for charge rate is that you can charge at twice the capacity of the battery. Example:

A 1200mah 2/3A pack can be charged at a maximum of 2.4A (1200mah = 1.2A; 1.2A X 2 = 2.4). BUT, if you want your batteries to last you awhile in terms of number of charges (not runtime), only charge at the same capacity as the battery. In other words, only charge a 1200mah battery @ 1.2A. Charging at 2.4A will give the battery extra punch, but doing that frequently shortens the lifespan of the battery.
Very good info here about charging them. I use the cells in a couple of my rigs and I charge them at 1.2 amps and it works very well.

As far as a charger goes, if you have the extra $$$ buy a duratrax ice, its the best charger I have ever had. it can charge any battery out there (nicd, nimh, lipo etc) and is easy to use. Its about 120$ or so at most places but it does require a power supply. Keep in mind that charges that are D/C (direct current) , such as the ice, are usually a better charger than a charger that is A/C because A/C is alternating current and could cause false peaks. Will you notice it, probably not, I come from a back ground of racing so I get a little crazy with my equipment

Mike
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote