Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: ESC Problem?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2006, 06:51 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default ESC Problem?

Ok I have Moped v16R, TQ3, 65t motor and BlueBird Servo's. I have hooked everything up like this.

B-Empty
1-Front Servo
2-Rev.
3-Rear Servo

When I have both sevo's hooked up it will run for about 2sec and shut down. Noting works, everything locks up. The servo's throw them selves to one side also. I can unhook either servo doesn't matter which one and it seems to work fine. The ESC doesn't like having both servos hooked up at once. I know may others have ran 2 servos off the Moped and everything works fine. Could it be my Blue Birds are pulling to much juice or something. Or is my Radio Gear not working right.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2006, 07:04 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Have any other servos to plug into it?

I'm running 2 on mine.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 07:08 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan
Have any other servos to plug into it?

I'm running 2 on mine.
Nope. I only have those two servo's. I can hook up the just the front servo and it works fine. I can just hook up the rear servo and it works fine. It's just when I hook up both at once it's locks up. The ESC just shuts down. I can turn it off and back on and it works for about 2 seconds. Then locks up agian. But I can unhook one servo turn the ESC back on and it seems fine.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2jeepn
Nope. I only have those two servo's. I can hook up the just the front servo and it works fine. I can just hook up the rear servo and it works fine. It's just when I hook up both at once it's locks up. The ESC just shuts down. I can turn it off and back on and it works for about 2 seconds. Then locks up agian. But I can unhook one servo turn the ESC back on and it seems fine.
I too have the same problem, I even tried to wire the servo's together so it's full time 4ws and get the same cutting out and locking up. I have a TQ3, LRP Automatic pro reverse digital, hitec 645's, and integy 55t's???? So can anybody help us out??? For now I've just been rockin the rear steer lockout.
Darius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 07:21 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Know anyone that is into RC in your area? Someone should have an old Futaba servo laying around.

If you can find another servo, plug it in and if it does the same then it's more then likely the ESC? If not, then it's the servo.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:23 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I'll take it to work with me and on the way home stop at my LHS and see what they say. I have no idea what they will say. My LHS is all about planes and trains.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:36 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Yeah, know the type!
Old 09-11-2006, 10:07 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I may just lockout the rear for awhile and buy some 645mg's and just run those. I hope it's just me and not any of my parts. If anything. I hope it's my Radio gear.... Well I guess the servo's, radio gear, and Moped all costed about the same price anyway. Oh well. I just hope it's me.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:04 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I ran 2 servos off my moped they are tower pro MG995. The batteries are a small 6 pack IB 1200's. The problem I was having with my moped was the plastic clips in the plug that goes to the RX were broke off and would slide out once I figured that out it was cake.

But this is where I may be able to help out. I had to learn a lot about electrics when I was having the problems.

What are the specs on the blue bird servos. Does it state how much juice it draws?
Did you try running a Receiver Pack to see if that helped your servo problems?
Or did you try running both servos with only a receiver pack and no esc to see if they are working togeather.

Also the simple little things... Are they plugged in correctly. When I was at the LHS a kid was in there and had his wires plugged in all different directions. the white wire was on the inside on two and the other had the white wire on the out side. "I didn't think it mattered, they plugged in" is what the kid said the employee at the LHS.

I would really try running the receiver pack with just the servos see how they perform running togeather then add the esc.

If you're esc can't handle the draw from the servos then you may need to find one with a higher BEC rateing or have to run a receiver pack. I think to run a receiver pack you will have to snip a wire. It's in the moped thread.

EDIT: FYI Dinball never got back to me about sending my Moped back. Glad I was able to make it work. I really can't say much about their customer service. since it seems there is none

Last edited by Double J; 09-12-2006 at 09:08 AM.
Double J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 09:20 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

told ya:-( , they suck at returning e-mails and at customer service , thank god you fixed it though
I also agree that if the servo load is to high.
Run a receiver pack maybe like Doublej said, i'am running 2 tower pro on a couplle of my rigs, and haven't had problems.

Last edited by cartronicshn; 09-12-2006 at 09:24 AM.
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 09:24 AM   #11
RCC Addict

try a Y harness if you have one laying around. if it doesnt work you know its the receiver
BrandonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 09:39 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Here are the specs on the Blue Birds. This is straight from RCMART.COM
http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/produc...ducts_id=14417
Old 09-12-2006, 09:42 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double J
I ran 2 servos off my moped they are tower pro MG995. The batteries are a small 6 pack IB 1200's. The problem I was having with my moped was the plastic clips in the plug that goes to the RX were broke off and would slide out once I figured that out it was cake.

But this is where I may be able to help out. I had to learn a lot about electrics when I was having the problems.

What are the specs on the blue bird servos. Does it state how much juice it draws?
Did you try running a Receiver Pack to see if that helped your servo problems?
Or did you try running both servos with only a receiver pack and no esc to see if they are working togeather.

Also the simple little things... Are they plugged in correctly. When I was at the LHS a kid was in there and had his wires plugged in all different directions. the white wire was on the inside on two and the other had the white wire on the out side. "I didn't think it mattered, they plugged in" is what the kid said the employee at the LHS.

I would really try running the receiver pack with just the servos see how they perform running togeather then add the esc.

If you're esc can't handle the draw from the servos then you may need to find one with a higher BEC rateing or have to run a receiver pack. I think to run a receiver pack you will have to snip a wire. It's in the moped thread.

EDIT: FYI Dinball never got back to me about sending my Moped back. Glad I was able to make it work. I really can't say much about their customer service. since it seems there is none
I did notice that one of the plus was having a black wire wanting to come out of the plug when I put it in the Receiver. I don't have a RX. Maybe it will get nailed down today at the LHS. I hope. I'll run this by them. Thanks DJ.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:38 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

OK I went to the LHS and we played around with it for about 5 min or so. He hooked up a RX pack and unhooked the ESC. Both servo's worked fine. Then he hooked everything up to the ESC. Both servo's, Receiver, and the RX. Everything seemed to work fine. I heard there is a wire you need to cut on the Moped for the RX pack to work. Which wire is it and why did it work when I didn't cut a wire? Will it fire the Moped over time or what?
Old 09-12-2006, 02:48 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Looks like you just needed more power for your servos.

I think it's the red wire that you cut but you'll have to read the MOPED thread I think it's somewhere like page 13 or 23 something like that. When i was having a problem with mine I read the whole thing word for word. That cut into my build time..
Old 09-12-2006, 02:51 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

So you did cut a wire on your moped. I didn't want to start cutting wires if I don't need to. What would happen if I never cut the wire?
Old 09-12-2006, 03:00 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

I did NOT cut any wires on my Moped.. Although I could run a bit more battery through it. ;)

But I'm not sure about the wires and cutting. You'll have to read the thread. I think someone fried theirs but I think if you need that much power you should be OK not cutting but I would ask one of the Electrical guru's around here as I'm still learning about all the electronics.

Before crawling all I had were Mechanical Speed Controlers. These are my first ESC's and I'm trying to learn as much as possible. I was out of RC for about 10 or 20 years before now. Maybe even longer.

Someone will probably post up later tonight.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:11 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Found these on page 12 and 13...
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp_rat
whats the difference if you run a reciever pack or not? i ordered mine and i need all the info i can get, lol

You will smoke it if you dont cut the red bec wire from the esc to the receiver. but you need to have the red wire attached to program it
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony tt
i've been running my moped for a couple weks now with dual 645's and not a problem yet. what i am wondering is why you have to cut the red wire to run a reciever pack? is it the red wire to the switch?? can't you just leave the switch off?

It's the red wire from the ESC to the receiver plug you cut. Leaving it off works too... but you run the risk of frying it if you accidently run with it turned on.
I just don't understand way you can't turn it on? (ESC).....Any what is a good sized RX pack for running two servo's. I was thinking a 2/3 6 cell 1100 pack....My LHS has a Jr 700 and says it would work just fine.

Last edited by run2jeepn; 09-13-2006 at 09:15 AM.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:07 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Thats strange, I'm running three servos no problem on my 2.2 and 2 1/4scales on my super with mopeds and I havent had any trouble, the bec might be damaged on yours. Maybe you should fing another moped and try all your stuff on it, or at least another esc with similar bec ratings. two servos shouldn't hurt that thing.
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 08:53 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

no sure on the moped but on rooster / super rooster/ evx it is the red wire (the 1 in the middle) all i do is unplug the red wire (from the plug) to run a receiver pack .
Badd is offline   Reply With Quote