Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Brood motors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2013, 07:27 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Brood motors

So could someone explain something to me? I was looking at Brood motors and was wondering why different motors cuz you can build there motors any way you want them. Does that make sense? What I mean is they list a bunch of different cans but what is the difference in them ? I hope I'm making sense.
04zrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2013, 11:12 AM   #2

Default Re: Brood motors

With the brood motors there are differences in the cans their thickness and magnets, some only have two magnets while some have four. As well as differences in the endbell and the style of brushes each endbell can accommodate. There are pros and cons that come with each. Ask Eddie in a pm with what you are looking to achive and he will point you in the right direction.
Ben.Tate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:24 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I wish there was a chart that compared the different models so you knew for a given turn how they differed. I guess that is part of what this hobby is about, isn't it?? ...Figuring out what you like and what works and doesn't, it just isn't that simple tho is it?.....

thanks for the help.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:40 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Or you could just post up your questions on his brood motor thread ,even pm him your questions directly to him, I am sure he will help you
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:21 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

While the different arms are available in almost all the motors...the cans/endbells are the difference in the names basically.

Creep= sagami can, 4 FB9 magnets, Sagami endbell
Apocalypse= sagami can ,2 FB9 magnet, sagami endbell (same as creep just the magnets count differs)
Foresaken= sagami can, user selectable magnets, user selectable endbell (same can as creep/apocalypse) (Not on the site yet)
Chaos = Epic Can, 2 C6 magnets, Epic endbell
Specter = Yokomo Can, 2 FB9 magnets, Yokomo Endbell
Rumble= LRP Can, 2 L6 Magnets, LRP endbell
Vapor= Machined Can, 2 or 4 Fb9 magnets, Sagami Endbell...Lightweight motor setup
Conflux= Brood Machined Billet Can, user selectable magnets, Sagami Endbell
Stubby= Machined Can, user selectable magnets, sagami endbell
Onslaught = Sagami Can, 2 Fb9 magnets, Checkpoint Endbell

2 Magnet Cans will be more torque and efficiency, 4 magnet will be smoother start up and more power, but less efficient with a little less torque. 2 magnets offer better brakes...
Stronger magnets offer more torque and efficiency, while weaker magnets allow more RPM and often smoother start up. Stronger magnets have better braking.

The can itself between most is the same from motor to motor or very similar. The Vapor and stubby lines are reduced weight cans, based off NOS motor cans we no longer have enough of to be a regular stock item. Confluxes are an all new motor can machined from billet steel....they overcome many of the shortcomings of a stamped motor can. They will be available hopefully soon.

The main thing to choose is the magnet setup that works best for your truck, then select the right armature for your application. With the exception of the vapor/stubby or the conflux cans, the rest are pretty much the same deal, different name....

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:36 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

well ask and you shall receive..thanks for the reply. Here is where I'm at please offer your suggestion if you would. I don't do any comps just fun beating and competing with friends. I have a Ridgecrest: aluminum 2.2 wheels with Irok tires. stick spur gear and have 20t and a 23t pinion . I have 3 and 4cell to use. I just bought a (competitors)esc and 27t motor. I'm happy with that set up but I'd like a bit more wheel speed, I also would like to get another motor! I don't want to burn up any motors, and it seems trying to get top speed is how you burn up a motor quick! I mostly bash and some crawl with it.
Am i wrong thinking If I bought a 35t motor I could gear up and keep temps down ?

Would you be able to make a recommendation for me?

Thanks!

Last edited by 04zrx; 03-10-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:03 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

While you can gear up with a 35t, gearing will never make it as fast as a 27t without blowing it up. Gearing has to match the motor....power is power, gearing can never make up for that.

If you want more speed, a properly geared 25t would be the way to go. If you want a motor less likely to overheat and blow up, then going down to a 35t would be the way to go, but you will be going slower than before....

Later EddieO
Old 03-10-2013, 03:12 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

ok I that is exactly what I DIDN'T know, thanks! Would you recommend a 20-25 turn motor for my application.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:24 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Specter 25t Type T would probably work fine for your application.

Later EddieO
Old 03-10-2013, 03:49 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

thank you sir!

Brood motors - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brood motors stubs179 Chit Chat 4 07-23-2012 09:59 PM