Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Help me pick out my new gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 03:28 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Help me pick out my new gear

I haven't bought new electronics in 15 years so any help you can give me is appreciated. I have a clodbuster and i need updated esc, batt/charger. I have a radio that works fine and i don't need a dig on my truck, but if there is something else new radios do today i appreciate any advice.

Esc willing to spend $100-125

Batteries/charger $ 125-150

I notice people run different turn motors with lower turn up front any explanation is appreciated.
builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2013, 05:00 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Help me pick out my new gear

Radio - Futaba 4PL $210
Esc - Brushless Hobbies 120A LT4 $67
Batteries - Turnigy, GensAce, Gforce $40-$60
Charger - If you're looking to spend $125-$150 on batteries AND charger, can't recommend anything that's of good quality. Now that price range for charger only...Cellpro, iCharger, Thunder Power, Hyperion are ones to check out.
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:09 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I'm using two brushed 45t motors if that matters.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:37 PM   #4
RCC Addict

For running brushed motors, I would go with HH BR-XL ESC. It is one of the best ESCs for crawlers with brushed motors.
Holmes Hobbies LLC
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:08 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

What do you guys think of the Novak M2 Dig 3S esc? it says you can control two motors independently.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:09 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Strong opinion here - but Novak is junk in a crawler. Loved them in my other RC's, but with these rigs - the HH BRXL is gold, and even though there is a problem with the SV3 running brushed at all - any other SV2 or axial ae-2 would be better than the Novak. In regular cars, Novak is great, love the product - with these setups, unfortunately they just don't cut it.
My opinion fwiw... . BRXL = best you can buy for brushed.
B94Cast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:31 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Spectrum has several 3 channel radios that are great depending on what your after. Have to agree with the other posts Holmes Hobbies makes some great products that can take some abuse. For your battery and charger price range check out hobby kings us warehouse, I have had good luck so far.
jonboyauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:26 PM   #8
RMK
Quarry Creeper

+1 on that. Novak really dropped the ball with us crawlers. They did have a great idea with the m2, but, it doesn't seem to like working with most radios out there. So, its an overpriced brushed esc.

For the esc? The Holmes Hobbies brxl is best out there for brushed motors. No motor limit, 6s capable, waterproof option, and of course the Holmes hold. That alone makes it the best. You can get a new waterproof one in your price range. The non waterproof ones are less monies. If your not wanting a "dig" feature, then running the motors independently is irrelevant.

The best thing about the new radios is that they are 2.4ghz and interference is pretty non existent. They are also more adjustable, tunable and more model memory.

As for chargers and batteries..... Well, if you have a hobbytown USA or a lhs that sells losi, there is a company called radiant that makes a few chargers that work really well and are between $40-$65. They can do nimh and Lipo. Now for the batteries.... If your getting a new charger, make sure It can charge lipo batteries and run a lipo battery in your truck. They are less than 1/2 the weight and still run just as long if not longer. They dont have a "memory" like nimh packs do....

Motors.... Well, stick with the 45t ones if you like them. Otherwise novak has some decent budget friendly motors and Holmes Hobbies has several motors that would be perfect for your truck. Im gonna run their motors in my daughters and my own clod rigs.... They are more monies, but worth it.....

Now, to answer your last question. The reason some run lower turn motors on the front axle is to have more wheel speed "dig" on the front wheels. It will want to pull more from the front axle. There is a torque loss with the lower turn motors so I would run a tooth or 2 bigger pinion instead of changing the motor itself to get the "dig" effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B94Cast View Post
Strong opinion here - but Novak is junk in a crawler. Loved them in my other RC's, but with these rigs - the HH BRXL is gold, and even though there is a problem with the SV3 running brushed at all - any other SV2 or axial ae-2 would be better than the Novak. In regular cars, Novak is great, love the product - with these setups, unfortunately they just don't cut it.
My opinion fwiw... . BRXL = best you can buy for brushed.
RMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:38 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

I know that yours isn't a shafty, but my fx-r works great with the one motor on an scx10.
micro racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:01 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Do your self a favor and go with the HOLMES BRXL, you wont go wrong, he even has the waterproof version if you wanna go that route. Any of the LIPO chargers these days work fine, they are all made in the same factory in china anyway. Get one that can charge up to a 6s, AC/DC so you can charge at home and still use it in the field, check the classifieds here, they sell all the time, if you dont see one, put a wanted ad up and ull get a response in a day or 2, you should only have to spend 50 to 100 on the charger. The batts, goahead and go with the turnigies, really cheap and last a long time if you treat them right, ive used some of my turnigies for 2 years and they still do great you can get them here at Hobby king R/C Hobby Lithium Polymer Battery Filter List just click that link and search for the battery you want. Your not racing, crawling or anything of that nature so to spend big dollars on a battery is not wise and is just a waste. The RADIO choice is really up to you, how many channels would you like is the main question and how much are the receivers when you go to expand your collection, how easy are they to buy on the classifieds to save yourself some money on future receivers and are they plentiful. I can definately say you dont want a 4PL for what your saying that wayyyy over kill and the rxers are not on the cheapside and dont come up often 4 sale, that radio is a pro model right below the 4pk which again your not aiming 4. I would go with a spektrum radio, simply because the receivers come up for sale everyday, they are cheap they have tons of different sizes and options, tons of different radios work fine with them, they are just an all around good choice, for a serious competion crawler to a weekend rc warrior. I would prob look at a used DX3R or something of that nature, one you can program multiple models into when you want to add to your collection. Hope this helps.

LIK
OFFROADRCKOREA is offline   Reply With Quote

Help me pick out my new gear - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
pick one axialdude1 Tires and Wheels 4 10-12-2011 04:40 AM
So I pick one up too ynmech Axial XR10 35 12-15-2010 09:31 AM
HELP me pick what RC is right for me!!! BlaineWasHere Newbie General 10 06-29-2009 11:57 AM