Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: HELP me pick what RC is right for me!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2009, 08:46 PM   #1

Default HELP me pick what RC is right for me!!!

I am completely new to RC. Never built one and don't know much about them. I have lurked her for a while and now I am ready take the plunge. However I don't have a ton of cash to drop right now and have no idea how to build anything RC related.

In real life I enjoy rock crawling and I have a GTI I take to the track on a regular basis so I figure why not have some scale RC fun???

Road car RC is out because I don't live on and smooth roads and I would never use it.

The next thing I was thinking was buying a scale crawler. I was looking at the Axial scale chassis but the assembly scares me and with everything it really is more than I want to spend.

Then I saw the Tamiya rally car and I thought it would be awesome because I am a HUGE rally fan and it would be an extremely versatile car I could have fun with anywhere. However I still have to assemble and cost is still high...

THEN I thought a Short Course truck likw the Traxxas 2WD truck... Seems like you can get them RTR pretty cheap and I could use it pretty much anyware... Not as cool as crawling or rallying IMO but seems like a cheap way to get my feet wet in RC.

What is the best option???

TIA
BlaineWasHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2009, 09:08 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Losi MRC, 100% rtr and near bullet proof.
InFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 09:17 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Well, I guess the first question that comes to mind, is how much are you looking to spend?

It sounds like you mite be looking for something that needs to be fast and slow. The amount you are willing or able to spend is going to be the biggest factor in which RC to get.

Just off the top of my head, I would think about getting a used axial SCX10 and set it up like a pre-runner Baja truck. It would be able to crawl, and jump.

The next one that comes to mind, is a traxxas stampeed. They are usualy inexpensive and very easy to get parts for.

I am sure that some one else will have some other ideas, but it sound like you will need to look for something used in the for sale section. Which is where I buy most of my stuff.
70duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 11:43 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

one of my first rc car was a n-pede, that thing was awesome!
great beginning car!

my first rc crawler is a ax10, its awesome, i only bash and i love em!

but im sure i would take the more experienced guys recommendations before you listen to me!
good luck!
peyton. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:18 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

I dont think you could go wrong with a stampede or a slash. They are tuff as nails and come fully RTR. Some even come with a 6 cell pack and a wall charger. I just picked up a RTR XL5 stampede with a 6cell 3000mah Traxxas pack & wall charger for $125.00 with my tower discount.

IMO, they are the best way to get into R/C for 2bills or less.
R/CMaxximus5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:23 AM   #6

hey if you really want a crawler this is about the best starter in my opinion
http://www.tcscrawlers.com/In-Stock-...1-p-17397.html
xEL Chupacabrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 05:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by xEL Chupacabrax View Post
hey if you really want a crawler this is about the best starter in my opinion
http://www.tcscrawlers.com/In-Stock-...1-p-17397.html
That does seem like a really good deal. I guess I will either go that route or the slash. I guess I just have to figure out which I would have more fun with...
Old 06-29-2009, 06:46 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

This may or may not be the best route, but watch videos on you tube about each truck in factory form, this way you can get an idea on if its something you may like.

Other than that the other recommendations are a great basis to get you into the hobby.

On another note. If you get a scx axial, they come with excellent, highly detailed illistrated instructions. Take your time assembling it, this way if it does break, you can know how to fix it. Also while your building, you can save for electronics.
Sevier Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:24 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

The axial RTC comes with a 55 turn motor and would be an excelent intro crawler. But you may want to look at the RTR version because it comes with a 27 turn motor and a optional pinion so you can get a little more speed for bashing. If you go to the Axial website or youtube they have a promo video of the RTR in action. There are also alot of options for scale conversion with the axial. Also if you look at benders scx10 build he was using a inexpensive traxxas xl5 spedo with a titan 12 turn and its pretty darn quick. Lots of options with the axial stuff. Good luck hope this helps a little
goodoldlevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 11:32 AM   #10

I think I am just going to go with the Slash to start with and learn about how RC stuff works... then later build a crawler...
Old 06-29-2009, 11:57 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

get an scx-10 you will love it! my friend has one and i have an ax-10 with my own cusom built chassis and they are awsome! you can beat the hell out of em and they dont brake!
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote