Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: What Brand LiPo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 10:38 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default What Brand LiPo?

I am looking at buying a lipo battery pack. I don't know which brand to go with. I have done some searching and haven't been able to figure out why some packs are almost 1/2 the price of others for the same specs. I am looking at a 3s somewhere around 3300mah, and 30c. I have heard good things about the packs on the cheapbatterypack (or something like that) website, but also heard that the nano-tech batteries are good, and are much cheaper. I don't want to spend any more than I have to, but don't want a crappy battery pack either. What do you guys recommend?

Mike
SCX10Dingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2013, 10:41 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

IMO for the money you can't beat the Turnigy Nano Techs.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
newmarketeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:43 AM   #3
Scale Detail Engineering

Default Re: What Brand LiPo?

I got tired of buying expensive batteries just to throw them out... now I buy cheapies!

Value Hobby R/C Hobby Store (Addison, Illinois): Batteries - Power
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:51 AM   #4
RCC Addict

I get all mine off Hobby king (they now have a full function USA located warehouse!). I am running Zippy 3s packs in my bronco, the old man is running turnigy 2s packs in his Wraith. both have been good products and the prices are very reasonable. 36 bucks for my 3s 5000mah hardpacks.

I think it is pretty hard to go wrong with Lipos, I have never heard of any complaints about a particular brand except one company.......I won't mention names as I don't want to start that war again. Most likely you will not come into contact with them or their products here.

Last edited by Docwolf; 04-18-2013 at 10:54 AM.
Docwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:36 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

stay away from the cheapy ones on ebay.....and stay with a C rating of 30 or more...I have puffed way to many 20C lipos....even on the first run...
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:01 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docwolf View Post
I get all mine off Hobby king (they now have a full function USA located warehouse!). I am running Zippy 3s packs in my bronco, the old man is running turnigy 2s packs in his Wraith. both have been good products and the prices are very reasonable. 36 bucks for my 3s 5000mah hardpacks.

I think it is pretty hard to go wrong with Lipos, I have never heard of any complaints about a particular brand except one company.......I won't mention names as I don't want to start that war again. Most likely you will not come into contact with them or their products here.
I ordered a Lipo off Hobby King recently. I got notification that it was "shipped from the warehouse" 13 days ago. They have yet to respond to my inquiry on their customer support page. I'm not impressed so far.

How would I make sure I'm ordering one from the warehouse in the US? I see the flags next to certain items. I thought the Turnigy pack I ordered had an American flag by it.

I'm new to RC crawling and let me tell you, just looking at my SCX10 is getting a little old
CHawk68462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:34 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Good information, guys. I will check out the links.

I was thinking about the turnigy pack - you will have to let me know how your order turns out.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:37 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

What is the difference between the nano-tech and zippy? Didn't see anything obvious...
Old 04-18-2013, 01:48 PM   #9
RCC Addict

hobbykings site can be a little confussing. always shop logged in, select the use warehouse and if you want to order an item, always open the description page by clicking the US flag for that item. you can check you order status through the website by logging in.

I really don't know what the difference is....the price was right on the ones I got though, 36 bucks for a 3s 5000mah.......YES PLEASE!
Docwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:22 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docwolf View Post
hobbykings site can be a little confussing. always shop logged in, select the use warehouse and if you want to order an item, always open the description page by clicking the US flag for that item. you can check you order status through the website by logging in.

I really don't know what the difference is....the price was right on the ones I got though, 36 bucks for a 3s 5000mah.......YES PLEASE!
I'll be sure to do that if I end up ordering from them again. Are their ship times more normal (in the continental US) if you do the above?
CHawk68462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:50 PM   #11
RCC Addict

I have 2- 3s Turnigy 850 Mah Nano Techs & 2 Maxamps 2s 2000Mah Lipos I run in my Wraith.
The Turnigy's claim 20c Constant & 40c Burst & the Maxamps claim True 100c rating.
Turnigys were $18.00 ea shipped & the Maxamps were like $48 ea shipped.
I love both & have had both less that 3 months with no issues. So far I cannot claim any difference between the Turnigy or Maxamps.
Of course the 3s has alot more poop & of course the 2000 outlasts the 850.
I am waiting to see which ones go to $hit first & then decide which is a better value.
At this point the only difference I see is a large price difference & some stickers. Time will tell .
Dostradamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:56 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

SPC. They are the best battery,s out there, great prices and great customer service.
http://spcracing.com/
fj40jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:17 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

gens ace from hobbypartz is a good deal.
PSSUPERSTORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:18 PM   #14

I have been using the ones from Hobbypartz.com and have had no issues. Low prices and shipping time is good also.
crashen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:21 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Nano tech hands down.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:09 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

I am looking at these two:

ZIPPY Flightmax 4000mAh 3S1P 40C

Turnigy nano-tech 3300mah 3S 45~90C Lipo Pack

I should still be able to crawl with 3s, shouldn't I? I wanted to go 3s so that I can gear down to crawl slow, but still be able to have some wheel speed when needed.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:34 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

I been using the gens ace as well,they are pretty cheap,fast shipping times from within the U.S. and never really had a problem with them. I always wanted to try the nano tech but everytime Im in need of a new pack they are always sold out "hobbypartz sells the gens ace out pretty quick too" But I think your pretty safe with gens ace or the nanos. There is another brand out there that I just heard of,I cant think of the name of it right now but the jang did a review of it on his ultimate rc channel and said they were pretty good "maybe someone will chime in with the name of them",Next time I order im going to order a couple of them,they were the same price as the gens ace and you can choose deans as your connector,that will save me some burnt fingers and a few bux
ProfitOfDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:24 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

I have a couple of gens ace 2s 5000mah packs for some time they have been good batteries. I am looking to get some 3s to get my crawler a bit more wheel speed I will be grabbing more gens ace or the nano-techs
GuyOverThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:52 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

I have 2 2s 5000mah turnigy batts that are pushing 3years old and are still ticking like new. And just picked up 3 2s 4000mah turnigy nano techs:thumbup:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
sidehiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:01 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

I second turnigy nano tech!!!
chris_snchez is offline   Reply With Quote

What Brand LiPo? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is this brand of lipo worth buying? RocSpyder Electronics 10 02-19-2009 10:03 PM
Brand New LiPo Puffed Up Whilst In Storage TheHeadHunter Electronics 5 12-12-2008 06:23 AM