Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Tekin FXR too hot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2011, 01:41 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Tekin FXR too hot

My FXR keeps going into thermal shutdown. I'm running the FXR witha 35t handwound on 3s. The specs from Tekin says that it can run this motor if its a 35turn so I'm not understanding why it keeps shutting down. The ESC gets hot to the touch and then I have to shut it off. 10-20mins later, I can run it for little bit, and then it shuts down again.

My initial thought would be to step down to a 2s but thats not really the route I want to take. Any ideas?

Zack
YJJPWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2011, 02:55 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

are you running an external bec on your fxr? because under the specs to safely run 3s you need to run one to lessen the load on the esc
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:07 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

im thinking thats the problem, no bec

especially if you have a strong servo
bwm8142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:10 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

YJJPWrangler,

If you want an accurate answer then you should post up your entire electronics set-up and how it's wired. That will avoid a bunch of BS answers that will leave you messing with a bunch of stuff that will never fix your problem.
helhedded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:13 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I ran the FXR successfully on 3s with a 27t axial and 35t tekin motor on the internal bec with no issues so it's not necessarily the motor in itself that is the issue here.

Your setup and gearing will be very helpful for us to help you as helhedded said though.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:19 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

full list:

Tekin FXR
35t HH
Hitec 645mg(also have a 7995 that I am going to run)
Futaba 4pl.

At the time, I am not running a BEC, however I am in the process(right now) of soldering it into place. Maybe that will fix the issues, will post up if it does.

EDIT:, I'm running the stock 87tooth spur, I can't remember the tooth count on the motor gear. However, this combo has excellent wheelspeed/low end torque, when it works.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:23 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

check and make sure that your FXR capacitor is installed correctly. the side with the blue stripe is the ground side.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:33 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

the Cap is installed correctly. Hooked up the CC BEC to the hitec 7995 and now nothing works, it just blinks 1,3,6.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:42 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

pm ty from tekin! not sure wht is username is but it's something like that.. ty@tekin?
Old 04-25-2011, 03:53 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

pretty sure my hitec 7995 was toast anyway, sending it back to hitec for repair, going to hook the BEC up to the 645mg and see if that works.

Also, I'll shoot a PM to Ty and see if he has any ideas
Old 04-25-2011, 04:00 PM   #11
RCC Addict

make sure you pull the red wire from the esc wire to the RX once you hook up the BEC.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:18 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Violator View Post
make sure you pull the red wire from the esc wire to the RX once you hook up the BEC.

Not to sound like an a$$, but I did this and it flashed all LEDS(no signal) and no steering/motor, connected it back up and it works. Just ran it for 30 mins at WOT and no thermal shutdown.

Thanks guys
Old 04-25-2011, 06:29 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

If you pull the red wire from the ESC and then plug everything in properly, assuming everything is wired and plugged in correctly, you will have steering as long as the battery is plugged in. When you turn the switch on, you now have throttle control. If it's not wired in properly, or if you have a bad BEC, you will have nothing. Is the light on the BEC coming on when you plug in the battery?
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:34 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

yes, BEC light was on. It's confusing, I pulled the Red wire from the ESC, with everything hooked up properly, and I did not have power to the servo or motor. The ESC was lit up with all 6 LEDs on. Hooked the red wire back up, and everything went great.

Ran it wide open for 30 mins and no shutdown. Will there be a long-term disadvantage to leaving the red wire hooked up?

EDIT: The TX would not sync up to the ESC with the red wire pulled, is what I'm trying to say.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:40 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Where did you plug the ESC in on the receiver? Try another slot such as channel 4.
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:48 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

soooo....unhooked the red wire from ESC, no go, no power to ESC or steering servo. Had it plugged into channel 2, plugged it back into channel 4, still nothing. BEC light is on and green and all LED's on the FXR flash red.

Rewired it the way I had it, and it works perfectly now, so I'm going to leave it the way it is unless someone shows me that it will explode, let the magic smoke out, etc of it.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:08 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Your BEC sounds like it isnt working. All lights blinking is no signal, your receiver wasnt getting power. Was your BEC plugged into one of the receiver slots? With it setup like Castle shows on the diagram the BEC will power the receiver and then the servo will get power from it, you said your servo wasnt working so obviously your BEC isnt working. Maybe it was plugged in backwards? The darkest wire is the ground wire, your receiver should have some symbols on it that show what is what.

About your heat problem, a BEC should help but also correctly gearing your rig is very important. The more load on the motor the more heat the motor and ESC will build up. If your motor is cool and your esc is hot then that is one thing...If they are both hot try stepping down a couple teeth on your pinion and see if that helps.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:59 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

I had this problem also checked everything reprogramed the esc checked the cc bec all connections turned out to be a bad cell on my lipo and the esc would go into t hermal shut down. check your lipo
jojo303d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:49 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

battery is not the issue, it charges/balances just fine on my charger.

As far as BEC wiring, here is what I have. The BEC +/- is wired straight into the servo, it then routes to the battery connection on the ESC side(if that makes sense). The signal wire from the servo(yellow) is then plugged into the receiver. I found this diagram on here. It has a solid green light coming from it as well.

I am only running the steering servo off the BEC, everything else is powered through the RX.

Like I said earlier, I ran the truck in the parking lot at WOT for 20-30 mins, no thermal shutdown. I guess I was overtaxing the internal BEC(if there is one) on the FXR and that was causing the excessive heat buildup

Also @Jojo, the 1,3,6 blinking LEDs can signal thermal heat buildup OR incorrect lipo cutoff voltage(voltage cutoff set below battery voltage).

I'm going to run it at my LHS on their indoor course tomorrow, should be a couple of guys there that can look it over and tell me what they think. Keep the ideas coming.

Zack
Old 04-26-2011, 12:55 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJJPWrangler View Post
As far as BEC wiring, here is what I have. The BEC +/- is wired straight into the servo, it then routes to the battery connection on the ESC side(if that makes sense). The signal wire from the servo(yellow) is then plugged into the receiver. I found this diagram on here. It has a solid green light coming from it as well.
Zack
Right, with your BEC wired directly to the servo you need to run the internal BEC to the receiver to power it. You have it setup correctly.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote