Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Mamba troubles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2006, 04:37 PM   #1
TEAM MODERATOR

Default Mamba troubles

These Mambas always have a series of beeps when you plug the battery in and then when you turn the controller on. Mines not doing anything. I have full control of the steering,it's working fine but I have no response at all from the throttle. When I plug a fresh battery into the Mamba and turn it on,the lights blink a few times....pause....blink a couple more times and then go solid. When I push the throtle to go foward,the lights go out,push the throtle to go into reverse and the red light flashes. There is still no movement in either direction and steering works fine.

I thought maybe the reciever was junk. I took the brand new reciever out of my brothers truck I built for him to try. I know it's fine cuz I've only run it once. I put it in mine and nothing changes. Put it back in my brothers truck and his still works fine. That tells mre the reciever in mine is still good???? It's doing the same thing with either the new reciever or the old one.

Any ideas guys????

Thanks,
Steve

BTW,it's a Mamba Maxx,I'm running....
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2006, 04:40 PM   #2
2006 2.2 National Champ

Sounds like the trouble I was having at the Nationals. People were telling me it was the power switch, but it's been working fine since I got back.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 04:40 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Sounds like your motor is unpluged.
Cole82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 04:44 PM   #4
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENDER
Sounds like the trouble I was having at the Nationals. People were telling me it was the power switch, but it's been working fine since I got back.

Do I need to drive it to Moab and come back to fix it

That sounds odd I can try to put a new switch it in maybe,I just hate hacking into factory wires,just incase I need to return it for service or something.
Old 09-24-2006, 04:45 PM   #5
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole82
Sounds like your motor is unpluged.

I've checked the motor wires a few times,they are definitly hooked up.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:04 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorman57
I've checked the motor wires a few times,they are definitly hooked up.
what proceedure did you do for the initial setup? when first did mine I had the same issue and I redid the initial setup and now it functions correctly. took 10 times with the spectrum to get it rght
rockwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 09:19 PM   #7
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwerks
what proceedure did you do for the initial setup? when first did mine I had the same issue and I redid the initial setup and now it functions correctly. took 10 times with the spectrum to get it rght
Before I got mine,JRH run it in his rig to test it out. I basically hooked it up and run it. I got to thinking,I tried reprogramming it today. Before I did it,the Catle link,said there was a newer version and asked if I wanted to download it. I said no and continued(with the older version). Would this be the culpurt. Maybe I'll try to get the latest version and try to reprogram it.

I'm just using a regular ol' TQ3 with a modded switch for rear steer. I don't think that would be an issue,would it? I even tried switching crystals and tried my sons bone stock TQ3 and no change.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:23 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Before I got mine,JRH run it in his rig to test it out. I basically hooked it up and run it. I got to thinking,I tried reprogramming it today. Before I did it,the Catle link,said there was a newer version and asked if I wanted to download it. I said no and continued(with the older version). Would this be the culpurt. Maybe I'll try to get the latest version and try to reprogram it.

I'm just using a regular ol' TQ3 with a modded switch for rear steer. I don't think that would be an issue,would it? I even tried switching crystals and tried my sons bone stock TQ3 and no change.
whether he set it up or not you have to set it up to your radio and receiver other wise it will not function correctly, read and follow th initial program instructions, and yes download the latest version of the software.

everytime the esc is used with a different system it must be set up to that system
Old 09-24-2006, 09:32 PM   #9
TEAM MODERATOR

Like I said in the P.M. it's been working great for a while now,2 or 3 months. It's just all off a sudden done this. I went from 7 cells changed it to lipo settings,didn't like the lipo and ditched that and went back to 8 sub c cells. I tried the cut off at 4,5,6 volts as the cut off and it never will do anything.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:34 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Like I said in the P.M. it's been working great for a while now,2 or 3 months. It's just all off a sudden done this. I went from 7 cells changed it to lipo settings,didn't like the lipo and ditched that and went back to 8 sub c cells. I tried the cut off at 4,5,6 volts as the cut off and it never will do anything.
turn off the cut off completely. and have you tried other packs besides the one 8cell pack? it might be the pack! What battery charger? what are your other settings?
Old 09-24-2006, 09:40 PM   #11
TEAM MODERATOR

I've got 7 8 cell packs to choose from. They were all charged up last night. I tried several of them just to be sure but there was no change.

The chargers I'm running are an Integy 16x4 for charging at the house. I've also got a Triton charger I can use but it's 12 volt only. I use both if we go to a get together cuz they'll both work on 12 volts. The Integy is nice if I don't wanna fool with gettin under the hood of the truck and were at home.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:42 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I've got 7 8 cell packs to choose from. They were all charged up last night. I tried several of them just to be sure but there was no change.

The chargers I'm running are an Integy 16x4 for charging at the house. I've also got a Triton charger I can use but it's 12 volt only. I use both if we go to a get together cuz they'll both work on 12 volts. The Integy is nice if I don't wanna fool with gettin under the hood of the truck and were at home.
did anything get wet? on my rig the batteries where always the issue but with your chargers that should not be the case
Old 09-24-2006, 09:45 PM   #13
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
did anything get wet? on my rig the batteries where always the issue but with your chargers that should not be the case

Not that I'm aware of. I'm gonna try to download the newer version from Pheonix and try to reset everything. Maybe it's just that simple?
Old 09-24-2006, 09:47 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Not that I'm aware of. I'm gonna try to download the newer version from Pheonix and try to reset everything. Maybe it's just that simple?
could be.......what about the batteries in the transmitter? full steength?
Old 09-24-2006, 10:37 PM   #15
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
could be.......what about the batteries in the transmitter? full steength?
They should be good enough,I just put new in about 4 or 5 runs ago.

I tried downloading the newer version and tried updating my ESC. Nothing so far. I think I'm gonna go to bed now and fool with it tommorrow. I'm pretty tired and I'm probly overlooking something. After work maybe I'll stumble onto something..
Old 09-25-2006, 08:44 AM   #16
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Sounds like when you flashed the setting the mamba "forgot" the radio settings. You will need to set up the ESC to the radio, just follow the instructions online or in your manual. I have heard with the tq3 you might have to set the throttle trim WAAAY off in one direction for it to work.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 08:51 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrobholmes
Sounds like when you flashed the setting the mamba "forgot" the radio settings. You will need to set up the ESC to the radio, just follow the instructions online or in your manual. I have heard with the tq3 you might have to set the throttle trim WAAAY off in one direction for it to work.
ditto.......that is what I thought, Hey having al those problems had its advantages!
Old 09-25-2006, 04:50 PM   #18
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR
The MPJet 2820/7 comes prewired ........ It also has the hard motor-wind wires, that can break if bent at sharp angles.
I've been reading a bit and found this in another thread. Would this cause my trouble? I can't see any breaks in the wires but I can dig into it deeper. I've tried reprograming this dumb thing and nothing is working. The first tep in programing is to plug a fresh battery in,turn the controller on,hold it full foward throttle and turn the ESC on. The book says it should then give a series of beeps.....well,it's not.

Could this be it?
Old 09-25-2006, 04:55 PM   #19

You know what? My 2820 has done the same thing a few times. It wont even beep! I acts like a bad wind or something. Im gonna take mine apart and see what I find.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:02 PM   #20

Well, that was fast!! The middle motor plug installed from the factory had a cold solder joint and was broken off. Hopefully your trouble is as easy to spot Raptorman.