Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: tower pro servo ?s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2006, 10:04 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default tower pro servo ?s

Just received my tower pro MG995 servos and hooked them to my futaba old school dual sticked receiver. They seem to have adequate power to turn but their are some problems. The servo steers opposite of my radio and It has no servo reversing feature. Any one else experience this with this brand servo?
Also noticed it said digi servo, possibly meaning it is a digital servo. I think this may be a reason why it is constantly jittering my steering and my throttle.
As a side note I currently run a front only servo setup with a hs645mg with no problem. It is hooked to a R102jr futaba rx and a attack sport fp-tncs Tx( old school). The servo is mounted directly to the sevo mount on it side like the RCguy's version. I did not use the rubber isolators to mount the servo as I did not want it to move at all. Would mounting the servo with the rubber isolators cure the jitters?
One last ?, what the hell size or style metal servo arm can be used with this servo as hitec ones dont.
flexmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2006, 10:53 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexmonger
Just received my tower pro MG995 servos and hooked them to my futaba old school dual sticked receiver. They seem to have adequate power to turn but their are some problems. The servo steers opposite of my radio and It has no servo reversing feature. Any one else experience this with this brand servo?
How old is this radio that it does not have servo reversing? Try and look verry carefuly for little dip switches that are recesed in the radio. No I run the servos and well my radio has reversing so I just reverse it if I need too. You could if needed switch the wires on the connectors.

Quote:
Also noticed it said digi servo, possibly meaning it is a digital servo. I think this may be a reason why it is constantly jittering my steering and my throttle.
As a side note I currently run a front only servo setup with a hs645mg with no problem. It is hooked to a R102jr futaba rx and a attack sport fp-tncs Tx( old school). The servo is mounted directly to the sevo mount on it side like the RCguy's version. I did not use the rubber isolators to mount the servo as I did not want it to move at all. Would mounting the servo with the rubber isolators cure the jitters?
It may, just try it. I get the jitters too, but right now I have bigger problems...sorry

Quote:
One last ?, what the hell size or style metal servo arm can be used with this servo as hitec ones dont.
Futaba arms will fit
nktrnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 11:33 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nktrnl
You could if needed switch the wires on the connectors.
There's a good chance he'll fry the servo if he does this.
To reverse the servo on a radio without switches, you have to open up the transmitter and switch the two outside wires on the potentiometer of the stick affected. The same can be done on analog servo's, but there's more room in the radio to work. Not sure if it's possible on the 995's.
Jeckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 02:07 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

The towerpros do not have the tab on one side that makes you put them into the reciever only one way. Are you sure you dont have the plug in backwards? I did the same thing on mine, but turning the plug around in the reciever hole worked for me.
beatnbruised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 03:04 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I actually did install backwards at first. But when the servo plug in is in backwards, it does not function at all.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:18 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

The jitters are caused by low power. Are you running a RX battery? If not try that. Sometimes the bec doesn't provide enough current for high torque servos.
mazdaparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 03:22 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

tekin rebel2 with one servo for testing purposes. And it was jittering with a fully charged battery and no rx battery.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:36 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Odd, I am running the TR2 and 2 MG995s. Maybe the jittering is some sort of interference? Could be antenna wire too close to motor. Do you have caps on your motor? I did experience some jittering when I first hooked them up but it went away after I had my antenna mounted and the motor wires re-routed. There is a thread on here about the servos, many, many pages if I remember. Might give that a read and see if there is any help there.
mazdaparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 04:18 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Is it jittering or shaking after you turn the tires in either direction? if so it is just the servo trying to re-center itself. i had a pair and they would pulse back and forth until the tires caught on something to hold it still. prop up the truck to where the tires arent touching the ground. then steer either way and just release the steering so that the servo should go back to center. now if it is jittering then, then grab a tire in your hand and it should stop. i believe that that will tell you what the problem is but how to fix, i dont know
yukon635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 12:03 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the help guys on the servo question. I finally upgraded to a rear steer tq3 from the Crawler store. I got rid of my problem glitching for the most part and gained rear steer. I think that rather old transmitter and receiver may have not been up to the extreme task.