Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: novak bad

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2012, 07:35 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default novak bad

ok first i was at a car show with a booth set up for our local crawling group,,the night befor i wired in a new noval eiger esc on my scx10,,2 cell 2200 lipo,,ran great for 20 mins and then after i turned it off i walked off and within mins it cought on fire,,,well sent it in and it was warrentied ,,got my nrw one in and wired it in and worked fine, ran it for 20 or 30 mins and turned it off set it on my shelf,,,,well today i pulled it out and when i plugged the batt in and it took off without my radio on,,,and it took about 5 seconds and it started smokin,,,whats the chances of getting 2 bad esc's in a row,,i ran a rooster crawler for a year or 2 and worked great,, has anyone else had problems with the eiger, ive never had a problem befor but this is deturing me from buyin novak again,,,im 32 and been oint it for 8 years i know it was wired in correctly so wtf novak why does the eiger suck
lizard017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2012, 09:35 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: novak bad

I can't answer how god/bad the Eiger ESC is.

I can answer the other question, NEVER have your ESC powered with the TX off. I guess you now know this already though.

"TX on 1st, ESC on 2nd."
"ESC off 1st, TX off 2nd".
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:53 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Hello Charlie,

could you explain why the ESC should never be connected to power with the Tx/Rx off?

I remember from the AM and FM transmitters that there could be erratic servo movements (or current to the Motor via the NE544 powered ESC) when the Tx was off and the Rx on. Sometime in the 90s the better Rx did not show this behaviour (Multiplex PPM/PCM e.g.) anymore.

All the ESCs I am running nowadays have some logic in their programs that will inhibit current to the MosFets as long as the incoming signal from the Rx is missing or not making sense.

cheers

braq
braq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:32 PM   #4
www.ottsix.com

yes, yes, yes....but let's get get back to the point.

There's a HUGE problem here and Novak needs to know about it before someones house or car goes up in smoke.

Talk to them about it ASAP
crawl-o-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:41 PM   #5

I've put about 8 hours total on mine with a 3300 NiMH and a
55t rock star and have had no problems.
farlok72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:23 AM   #6
RCC Addict

my rule of thumb is to stay away from everything novak but their brushless motors. never had anythign but bad luck with them. had more than a few esc's smoke.
crawler nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:28 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
I can't answer how god/bad the Eiger ESC is.

I can answer the other question, NEVER have your ESC powered with the TX off. I guess you now know this already though.

"TX on 1st, ESC on 2nd."
"ESC off 1st, TX off 2nd".
yes i do know this,, the esc was switched off,,,it powerd the motor with the switch off,,all i did was plug in the batt,,,but like i said it was the second in a row that was bad,,,,both times after about 20 to 30 mins of runtime,,,but lol hey i guess u get what u pay fori believe i will try another esc now,,,and yes i will inform them there has got to be a problem in the escs somewhere
Old 06-01-2012, 05:50 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Try anything from Castle, or Holmes BRXL. Much better than Novak and cheaper also depending on which one you go with.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:19 PM   #9
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
I can answer the other question, NEVER have your ESC powered with the TX off.
x100,000,000
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:23 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I have had my Eiger for several months now and have had absolutely no problems. Maybe by some miracle I got a good LOL. This was my first Novak purchase ever and then I started reading all these bad reviews. So I decided to just ride the Eiger to the end and then go Holmes br xl after that!

Oh been running my Eiger on 2s with either a 20, 35 or 55 turn motor (finally settled on 35 turn)
CRAWLERJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:38 PM   #11

I ran the Goat 3s for about 10 months with no issues in my scx and then one day it just goes up in smoke. So I send it in and then about 2 months later I get my re
Shanerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:43 PM   #12

Replacement and it is stuck in worm drive. I now run holmes hobbies brxl or tekin in my rigs.
Shanerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:30 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Glad i saw this.. going to sell what i have now and buy a tekin crawler set. heard good things about them
m1009cucv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:32 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

I've been a Novak guy for many years but once brushless hit the scene Novak just hasn't been able to keep up. I've run just about every brushed ESC from them without problems but once I started using their brushless systems they just have'nt been reliable. I ran a Novak HV in my Emaxx years ago but after about a year it started acting up, low power, twitchy throttle, reverse delay stopped, just slowly started to fade out. Let them know about it for sure but I'd start looking at other systems.
dont slow down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:43 PM   #15

I have an eiger with the cc bec. Runnin it with a 45 turn integy with no problems overheating or anything. Do you have a bec on it? And if so did you pull the red wire on the power lead running to the receiver? Iffin ya didnt, the power will backfeed. Will cause what you are seeing.
silverado2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:45 PM   #16

I meant the escc's power lead...
silverado2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:06 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

I would like to retract my previous post! I plugged my battery in today and set my truck down and out come white smoke! The thing burned up so bad that there wasn't one wire left connected to it! Now I have to run brushless in my honcho till my brxl comes in! I tried Novak it was ok while it lasted but I doubt I will buy another one of there esc products.
CRAWLERJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:59 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado2004 View Post
I have an eiger with the cc bec. Runnin it with a 45 turn integy with no problems overheating or anything. Do you have a bec on it? And if so did you pull the red wire on the power lead running to the receiver? Iffin ya didnt, the power will backfeed. Will cause what you are seeing.
no bec bro i like i said in the first post i had no problem with my rooster crawler till screwed it up myself,, but this was a new eiger with like 15 mins on it,,,and after i got my warentee repacement in and hooked up it did the same thing only after about 30 mins
Old 06-10-2012, 03:02 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAWLERJOE View Post
I would like to retract my previous post! I plugged my battery in today and set my truck down and out come white smoke! The thing burned up so bad that there wasn't one wire left connected to it! Now I have to run brushless in my honcho till my brxl comes in! I tried Novak it was ok while it lasted but I doubt I will buy another one of there esc products.
thats what mine did, i ran it for about 30 mins uhooked and sit on shelf for couple days then when i plugged batt in with the esc power off it was sending power to the motor like i had my finger on reverse,,and smoked within a few secs
Old 06-13-2012, 09:50 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

im about to send my eiger in for warranty repair...
i ran it SEVERAL times in ultra 4 comps and on trail runs.
im thinking about a dozen full 3300 3s batteries always connected CORRECTLY to a CC bec..
i took the rig out to play 2 nights ago and about 10 minutes in it just quit on me, no lights, noises, or smoke...
got a mamba max pro on the way so far since the HH unit is outta stock everywhere...
elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote

novak bad - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Novak 55t good or bad CarryingMyCross Team Losi Comp Crawler 5 01-06-2011 11:13 AM
bad charger, bad cells? guapotaco Electronics 5 10-22-2009 09:15 AM
Bad car dealership! Bad! Dragon51 Chit Chat 0 07-18-2008 02:00 PM