Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Ultrafly outrunner question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2006, 11:38 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Ultrafly outrunner question

I recently purchased an Ultrafly B/06/10. It has the same basic specs as the Park 400, AXI 2212/26 etc. It's installed in a comp 2.2 with pede trans, 84/15 gearing, Quark 33 esc, and has a Thunder Power 3 cell 1320 lipo. The problem is when you give it a little throttle, from a complete stop, onto a steep hill or ledge, it will roll backwards almost like you are backing up real slowly in reverse. If you let off on the throttle, and then give it more than a little, it will leap forward and continue on. Then if you try to start slowly, from a complete stop, it will do it again. When you let off on the throttle, it stops, and when it rolls back it makes kind of a quiet whining noise. I've been reading all you're comments on outrunners over the last month, and have found them very informative. I figured if anyone can help me with this it's you guys. Thanks, Tim.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2006, 12:21 AM   #2
TEAM MODERATOR

Have you tried a different pinion or spur. Maybe a little lower ratio might help the problem.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 12:31 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I haven't tried any other gear combos. The wheelspeed is perfect, so I'd like to leave that alone. I'm hoping it's something else.
Old 10-01-2006, 12:37 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Have you tried to reprogram it a few times? I might me your radio gear also. Try some different radio gear and see if that works. I've never ran any outrunners so I'm not much help. JHomles maybe able to give you some more info.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 12:40 AM   #5
TEAM MODERATOR

I don't know anything about the Quark 33,can you change the settings? Like start up power or anything. Thats one thing I love about the Mamba25 and Mamba Maxx. You can really fine tune to your driving style and how you want the rig to perform.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 12:54 AM   #6
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

In the settings manual, follow the instructions listed to get into "advanced Programing" and change your motor setting to outrunner. Also, be sure the torque selection is dynamic. Do you have the throttle profile (in basic settings) for Direct Reverse as well?

I have experienced this rollback stutter, it is as if the controller gets stuck into a drag brake mode until you goose it a few times.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 09:53 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

JRH, I have the mode selection on Air-3D forward and reverse mode. I tried it on car-reverse and you have to move the throttle to neutral, hold it there, then reverse and that doesn't work for me. Not to mention I still have the problem in that mode. I also have it in outrunner mode, and the torque selection is on dynamic. Do you think it could be an inherent problem with the motor. I first was using a 6 cell 1400 mah battery pack from my Mini LST and it did the same thing. I was hoping that the extra voltage from the lipo pack would fix my problem, but I guess not.
Old 10-01-2006, 03:39 PM   #8
K_B
I wanna be Dave

Air-3D? That doesn't sound like the Quark33, that sounds like you're using a different model. I just checked my whole manual and nothing mentioning aircraft modes. Something else you might wanna try is gearing down a bit. I was experiencing this same problem and lower gearing pretty much eliminated it.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 03:59 PM   #9

He has the universal instead of the pro car version I think. Same controller with a bit of tweaked software.
Old 10-01-2006, 04:53 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

It is the Quark 33 Universal, I didn't even know there was a pro car version. Do you think that this is my problem? I was over at Tammies hobbies today talking to Ryan and showed him what it was doing. He was as perplexed as me. I decided to stop by another LHS and get an AXI 2212/26 because I know that they are a good motor. I installed it and it is better but it didn't eliminate it completely. Should I take the universal back and get the pro car version? Thanks guys.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:34 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Well, I ran my truck for about an hour today. It was still doing the same thing, seemed to be worse when I first started driving it, before it got warmed up. Then it was a little better, then got a little worse as the day went on. Also noticed that the esc got damn hot, enough that I couldn't hold my finger on it, is this normal? The AXI motor barely got warm. I got about an hour and five min. out of a 3 cell 1320 mah lipo, I was pretty impressed. Here's a couple pics of the completed truck.

Old 10-02-2006, 10:37 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

mine until today used to dothe same thing, I changed the motor timing to high from normal and it helped.....also running 7 cells instead of 6 helped....next will be 8 cells
rockwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 11:06 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I don't think I can change the timing on the Quark 33 universal, I'm beginning to wish I'd bought the Pro Car version.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:12 AM   #14
K_B
I wanna be Dave

The ESC getting that hot can't be normal. I have the same setup and my ESC barely gets above ambient temperature. If you're running a 3 cell lipo that's 11.1V, right? I would think that thing is a wee bit fast for crawling. I would just try gearing down a bit just for grins and see what happens.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:31 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Well, I just took you're advice and put a 13t pinion in it. Ran it around in the garage, and it seemed to be better. Wow, didn't think things were going to be this difficult going to brushless Oh well, it'll be worth it in the end. I do like my wheelspeed, but you're right, it might have been a little fast. I guess I'll have to take her out for some testing tomarrow. I'll see what happens with the esc temp. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:37 AM   #16
K_B
I wanna be Dave

The growing pains are worth it in the end. Once you get the bugs worked out, the only painful part is hearing your drivetrain give out....
Old 10-03-2006, 06:24 AM   #17

The smaller controllers make us ride a fine line of voltage and wheelspeed. You cant push it too far without getting some heat build up. If you dropped to a 2 cell lipo you would have no heat issues really, and longer runtimes.