Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Rc4wd Bulldog Winch help!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2013, 11:31 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Rc4wd Bulldog Winch help!!

Recently bought the RC4wd BUlldog Winch(red) and i'm trying to hook it up to work with my Spektrum DX4s on the AUX 2 channel.

I've set it to 3 position switch on my DX4S and the winch will spool out and spool in fine but when at "neutral" spooled in it jitters, makes noise, gets hot, i can adjust the controller so that it stops making noise but as soon as I flick the switch on my remote and make it move in or out it just jitters and makes noise over and over.

I've looked around and seen people talking of the Heyok winch controller. But i'm a bit confused because my remote has 4 channels and a 3 position switch option so do I need that? Or does the solve the "centering" problem with this winch ?

Also i've just been testing this with a 6v receiver pack plugged into my receiver.

ANy help would be wonderful!!
stone202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2013, 06:35 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Rc4wd Bulldog Winch help!!

Sounds like the controller that came with your winch has failed.
You can replace it with this one:
No Drift Winch Controller! (using 3 position transmitter channel)
You mentioned that there is something confusing about your remote having 4 channels and a 3 position switch option.

I'm not quite sure I understand but maybe this will help. Some transmitters have a channel that only has two positions. I make a controller for that kind of system as well. When you have a transmitter that will do either two or three positions (through software setup or a mechanical switch), you will be much happier using a three position setting to work your winch as it is easier to control the winch direction.
heyok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:29 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyok View Post
Sounds like the controller that came with your winch has failed.
You can replace it with this one:
No Drift Winch Controller! (using 3 position transmitter channel)
You mentioned that there is something confusing about your remote having 4 channels and a 3 position switch option.

I'm not quite sure I understand but maybe this will help. Some transmitters have a channel that only has two positions. I make a controller for that kind of system as well. When you have a transmitter that will do either two or three positions (through software setup or a mechanical switch), you will be much happier using a three position setting to work your winch as it is easier to control the winch direction.
Okay thanks.
My radio has a channel that is capable of having three positions.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:05 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone202 View Post
Okay thanks.
My radio has a channel that is capable of having three positions.
Then you are all set.
If you think you would like one of my controllers, just send me a PM and I will help you out.
Cheers,
Al
Old 07-26-2013, 11:22 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Then you are all set.
If you think you would like one of my controllers, just send me a PM and I will help you out.
Cheers,
Al
You mean I would be all set if I installed one of your controllers? Or i should be set now with the stock winch/controller.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:23 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
You mean I would be all set if I installed one of your controllers? Or i should be set now with the stock winch/controller.
I meant you would be set to use one of my controllers. I thought your first post in this thread was describing how the stock controller wasn't working for you.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:49 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I meant you would be set to use one of my controllers. I thought your first post in this thread was describing how the stock controller wasn't working for you.
Yes sorry for being confusing. The stock controller isn't working for me. I'll send you a pm about your controller!
Old 07-26-2013, 10:07 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Yes sorry for being confusing. The stock controller isn't working for me. I'll send you a pm about your controller!
Best bet is send money for a controller and be done......get 4 amp and power away! Never have issues again.... Last controller you will buy.
JokersWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 06:35 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I searched the forums for my issue and this is exactly it. I bought a brand new rc4wd winch, put it on a three position switch on my 4pl, and I have this problem. It's new so I can't believe the controller is bad from them.
godofcable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:48 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

apparently those winch controllers they supplied with it were supposedly just a servo control pcb, the trimpot replaces the feedback pot that would have been in the servo.

from looking around online in the past they are known to be troublesome and often unreliable and always end up drifting and needing constant retrimming of the pot.

from what i see pretty much everyone ends up ditching them and going with the heyok controller from al.

or you could use the 3racing winch controller if you know anyone who has one not being used.

tony
Awesome-Sauce RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:10 PM   #11

I had the same problem with mine so I bought a controller from Heyok and problems went away.
glassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 01:02 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Instructions for the Bulldog controller should read "Remove from package, lay on floor, smash with large hammer, throw controller in trash, contact Heyok"...
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:42 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

i actually got it working today. Went to a TTC at Newred hobbies in ocala fl. mentioned my issue to one of the guys there. He runs the same radio and winch as me. he said he had the same problem when he used the same three position switch as me, so he moved it to a switch that you have to click a few times to get it to 100%. i moved mine to the same switch and the inch worked flawlessly all day.

then after the competition they had giveaways. low and behold i won a heyok servo winch! lol
godofcable is offline   Reply With Quote

Rc4wd Bulldog Winch help!! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RC4WD Bulldog winch question jeepscx10 Electronics 2 02-02-2013 02:51 PM
RC4WD Bulldog winch myth619 Electronics 2 02-03-2011 07:09 PM