Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: traxxas xl-5 on 3s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2013, 10:33 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default traxxas xl-5 on 3s

Anyone try this? I've read that low voltage won't be recognized and I also read some people don't have any trouble.
RickGrimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2013, 12:56 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: traxxas xl-5 on 3s

I tested it on my ridgecrest and it runs like a raped ape but I don't want to ruin a $60 battery. With the 12t titan.

Last edited by RickGrimes; 08-06-2013 at 01:13 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:01 PM   #3

I stuck a xl-5 in a Losi Desert Truck , to see what it would run like.....
It ran like shit off a shovel ! , on 3s...
But used a Rhino 1350 3s battery.. Dint want to blow the esc or the battery..
tykenproud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:03 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

some XL5 have low voltage cut off, if you mean lipo cut off.
xxx123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:08 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

"..runs like a raped ape.." "..ran like shit off a shovel.."

So.. Good or bad?

-Corrupt
Corrupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:17 PM   #6

Good , mush !
tykenproud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:01 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx123 View Post
some XL5 have low voltage cut off, if you mean lipo cut off.
Yes it does have low voltage cut off but from what I read it doesn't detect 3s only 2s
Old 08-06-2013, 03:36 PM   #9
Chassis & Tubework Vendor

I run one with no problems in a Wraith. But I use a low voltage alarm like this one: On Board Lipoly Low Voltage Alarm (2s~6s)
MG200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:02 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Huh...I tried my xl5 on 3s, just bench testing, not in a vehicle..it's the newer waterproof low voltage cutoff type...but I couldn't get it to do anything...probably because I should've calibrated it..I may try this again..
mjc597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:07 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Here's how it goes. The only batteries with traxxas connectors I have were 3s. My 2s are deans. I was feeling lazy and didn't want to solder. But I ended up soldering deans on anyway. Beat on it for 3 packs tonight in my ridgecrest doing hillclimbs. But it wasn't as fun as the 3s batts. And my axial esc is only good for motors down to 19 turns so running the titan 12t was out of the question. I'm gonna save up and get a brxl.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:43 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjc597 View Post
Huh...I tried my xl5 on 3s, just bench testing, not in a vehicle..it's the newer waterproof low voltage cutoff type...but I couldn't get it to do anything...probably because I should've calibrated it..I may try this again..
You must calibrate. If not working repost here pls
xxx123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:55 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Go fast bashers have been running 2s and 3s with the original XL-5 for decades. Just when you notice the power dip slightly play it safe and swap packs. As far as the stock Axial esc it can handle the Titan 12t fine it just depends on your gearing and how many volts your using.

If an XL-5 pos can handle one Titan 12t I don't see why a rebranded sidewinder (axial AE-2) can't handle it. The AE-2 can handle 3s just fine too just watch your temps and see if you can rollback the firmware maybe to detect up to 3s or run an external LVC.
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:00 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

i ran a traxxas titan 12t with my ae-2...worked just fine..i read somewhere that the titan 12t being a 550 can motor, was equal to or very close to a 19t 540 can.. .also ran it on 3s, i just added a bec..
mjc597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:58 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Well if someone doesn't do it, I'm going to do it. Not to rant about Traxxas overpriced "kits" and inferior electronics compared to the competition, but when you are faced with the truth right in front of your eyes, then like they say numbers don't lie.

By the way it's a junk Traxxas you want it to burn out so you can upgrade it. Who runs an XL-5 with that retarded heatsink design that is raised so high up you can only fit it properly into their hideous looking chassis?! Even HPI had more brains than that....wait so did Tamiya, Losi, Kyosho, Team Associated, and even the trash RTR ESC's from those Redcat kits have a better designed case. So yeah that's basically what I feel about Traxxas. Now in the nitro department the 2.5R and the 3.3 TRX have treated me well back in the days just not enough power when you get spoiled by brushless demons on high powered lipo packs!

Wake up Traxxas!! Your electronics still are severely sub-par. Do they honestly think throwing in a lipo battery with their RTR kits now, plus jacking up the price because of that junk lipo and their new transmitters that are just an eye sore especially with that humongous iPhone docking base so poorly located at the bottom adding extra weight will do the driver any good especially one who is just getting into the hobby?

Makes me ashamed they're based in Texas. I hope to dear God their CEO is not a Texan. These products they'e been churning out to the public is a disgrace to all things southern. I know most of their electronics are Taiwan, but if anything goes wrong with any Traxxas product it goes to Plano, TX. Bye bye for a month.

Traxxas is like the Hyundai Genesis of the r/c world...sure it looks kinda cool, it's pretty much ballistic with terrible tires leaving all that power wasted with no control, it's durable with all that plastic webbing and also to save weight just like the paper thin chassis and parts on a Hyundai. Fast in a straight line is fun for maybe a few runs or even a day or two. Great now what? One bad nose landing....there goes the bulkheads, there goes the towers/body, there goes the arms, there goes the "steel" captured hinge pins, there goes the front differential teeth, and hopefully nothing else...probably cracked the servo saver and may have stripped out the 2075 plastic gears?

When you buy Traxxas anything expect to be around $500 with tax then you have to get the necessary upgrades or at least stockpile spares around otherwise you're faced with tremendous downtime and by the time you finish the repair pretty much you just wasted an hour or two.

Why Traxxas needs ARTR like how Losi/AE/Tamiya/HPI offer their popular kits. These particular 4 highly reputable companies offer BOTH RTR versions and ARTR to just drop in your power system and radio. Then we won't have to be faced with garbage. Why is it that the Slash 4x4 Platinum still runs a plastic geared weak sauce servo, a terrible servo saver, and a Velineon system when most Slash owners sell those things off as take offs?

Greed. That's all it is.

Last edited by alexchen86; 08-07-2013 at 06:00 AM. Reason: Traxxas rant...sorry
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:28 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

I've run a xl-5 on 3s and a 27t tamiya motor with no problems, both the motor and xl-5 got a little hot. I didn't run that combo for long before I installed a vxl with the silver can.
Dualdigger is offline   Reply With Quote

traxxas xl-5 on 3s - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
traxxas fm radio and traxxas waterproof esc help jon1197 Newbie General 11 12-14-2009 12:34 PM